Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Where are the UK yarn stores?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucina
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  07:37:10 AM  Show Profile Send Lucina a Private Message
Hello,

I live in Scotland and I'm wondering where the really good UK yarn stores are? Not websites (altho some of those are excellent) but great places to go and look and finger the yarn...I'm envious when I see all those ads and recommendations for the US ones!

I was in Brighton (Sussex) recently and thought there should be something there, but I couldn't find anywhere.javascript:insertsmilie('[**]')
Irked [**]

Can people recommend their favourite stores in Britain, please? My own recommendations are Di Gilpin's lovely shop in St Andrews and a great little place called Sheepish in the Shambles in York.javascript:insertsmilie('')
Approve

(I sort of started a similar thread elsewhere but this seems a better place.)

Happy knitting to all,
Honor Lucina in Scotland.

knitbugg
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  7:44:51 PM  Show Profile Send knitbugg a Private Message
Hi Lucina,

I'd like to know myself. Last spring I sent my parents on what became a wild goose chase. I asked my mom if she would mind stopping in at a couple of yarn stores during their travels and pick me up some unusual, not readily available in the US, yarns. They were there for 3 weeks and never found a single yarn store!

However, I did just pick up the newest issue of "Knitting" so I'd look at the adverts in there. I was successful in finding needlework shops that way.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  12:10:33 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message
There are some nice shops but you have to hunt them down. John Lewis have wool departments and if you do a yellow pages search you will find some odd ones in each town. I agree that they are thin on the ground and a lot seem to have closed down before knitting really picked up again. It sounds like US is the best place to go shopping for wool. There are a few mill outlets in the Yorkshire region (Up Country in Holmfirth which sells rowan and Coldspring mill near Haworth) I find that I am buying more and more over the internet (ebay) as its slim pickings I'm afraid.
Liz
Go to Top of Page

Manicgirl
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
203 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  1:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manicgirl's Homepage Send Manicgirl a Private Message
Most people I know who live in the UK say the same thing: there are not many good yarnshops. Those that sell yarn usually sell acrylic and nothing else. The only good place I've been to is John Lewis, but then I haven't been to that many cities. It's a shame really... Maybe you can order samples from internet stores of different yarns you might be interested in?

Tina
(My blog: http://ulltopia.typepad.com/wooltopia)
Go to Top of Page

SDKnitter
Warming Up

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  3:33:47 PM  Show Profile Send SDKnitter a Private Message
Hi, Lucinda!

I spent the week of July 16 in Wales and the week of July 22 in Ireland with sister who knits and her family. Sister lives in Birmingham England and usually shops at John Lewis. On our journey, we didn't find any stores that sold yarn, but did run into two spinners who sell their wares.

The first is The Wool Gallery, Llain Farm, Mathry, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, SA62 5JA, Phone: 01348-837634. This was a small shop with a small selection of yarns from the spinner's sheep, dyed in beautiful colors.

The second, and one that I would highly recommend, is Blueberry Angoras, Ffynnon Watty, Moylegrove, Nr. Cardigan, Pembrokeshire, SA43 3BU, phone Moylegrove (01239) 881 668; e-mail: info@blueberryangoras.co.uk. Mrs. Shirley Sexton has an increadible quantity of high-quality hand-spun in different weights and colors. I bought some pure kid mohair in a light dusty blue - enough for a sweater. Sister bought some heavier mohair as well. She has about 40 colors, according to the brochure we picked up. There are some hand knit sweaters for sale, and they take custom orders too. Nephews played with the goats while we shopped - can't beat that!

In Wales, the artists have formed a group to market themselves, so one day we did a tour of painters/sculpters/spinners, etc. Their booklet is available any place where tourist brochures are found, and we were very pleased with what we saw in every shop/studio and made several other purchases of art that day. Did find more wool all over Ireland in the sweater shops, but the quality wasn't as nice as what we found in Wales, so we were pleased we had spend the time to find these shops!

Have fun shopping and touring the countryside!

Mary

Any day you learn something new is a good day.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  11:25:28 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message
I've just come back from Wales, wish I'd known about them. Anyway, I've emailed them but it only sends it if you put .com not .co.uk at the end.
Can't wait to get some info...thanks

Liz
Go to Top of Page

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  11:26:55 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message
hang on...the email has just bounced back..could you give us it again please?
cheers
liz

Liz
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  11:53:00 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
remove the . after uk

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  06:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
My son is in Scotland right now and has asked around Edinburgh for yarn shops. He's been told just too look for little hangers of local yarns in small shops. Don't know if he has been successful on this quest yet. He's having tooooo much of a good time!!

http://spaces.msn.com/members/joyofspin/

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  11:47:16 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Any specific info on Yorkshire shops? I have fallen in love with a yarn from Wensley and would like one of my staff who is heading across the pond to bring me a lot of it.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

KnittingLiz
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  12:38:16 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingLiz a Private Message
stop press! a new wool shop has opened in Nottingham called 'Yarn'. I've been in a few times and its all top of the range stuff, rowan etc. They are very friendly and have some nice patterns. They are also having knitting get togethers, Thursday evenings I think...
The shop is on Chilwell road, beeston, Nottingham
Liz

Liz
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  04:14:05 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
mokey - I was just in Yorkshire - there is a place called 'Wensleydale Longwool Sheepshop. I'm sure they can help you. I wasn't able to get there myself, sigh.

Cross Lanes Farm
Garriston
Leyburn
North Yorkshire DL8 5JU

tel, fax : (01969) 623840 (If calling from outside UK: +44 (1969), etc.
sheepshop@lineone.net
www.wensleydalelongwoolsheepshop.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.