Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 cape with slits
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hanalie
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  06:17:50 AM  Show Profile Send hanalie a Private Message
I'm looking for a pattern for a cape, not poncho with a nice conservative collar and the sleeve slits. Any suggestions? I don't even know where to look. I have looked at all the websites in my search and notheing like that came up.

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  10:18:51 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Use any poncho pattern that fits the way you like it across the shoulders. The slits are located in the center of the 2 halves of the fronts, about 4 inches above the waistline and can be as long as you wish. Mine were about 8 inches long. A collar is simple to add. It is just a rectangle of knitting. Do it in ribbing or seed stitch so that it doesn't roll and you will have an acceptable collar. For a more tailored collar, include a few short rows across the back to get a better roll.

fran
Go to Top of Page

edelsma
Permanent Resident

Canada
1182 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  06:01:58 AM  Show Profile Send edelsma a Private Message
Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.glamarama.net/knitting/patterns/Bernat-1956-619.pdf

Other variation:
http://www.laughinghens.com/knitting-pattern-page.asp?patternpageid=3069

Good luck with your search.

Margaret
2005 stats: FO's 7, WIP 2
~~~
When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self.... Confucius~~~

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/edelsma/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  1:00:18 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
LionBrands has a free pattern for something like this. It's knit and has slits for your arms. Try: http://freeknittingpatterns.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-ponchoFunFurCollar.html
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  4:51:11 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Looks like all you would have to do with that is split it up the center.

fran
Go to Top of Page

lgrabbit@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  06:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit lgrabbit@yahoo.com's Homepage Send lgrabbit@yahoo.com a Private Message
Looks like you have some nice free patterns to choose from. I was searching and found some on ebay: http://search.ebay.com/Knit-Capes_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1QQxpufuZx
Also a free pattern from Berocco called Nina #187. I think the free pattern I found is not quite what you want, but it is long and cozy looking.[meow]

Laurie

"Friends don't let friends knit drunk." --Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  5:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I need to stop reading KR without my glasses. I first thought the subject of this thread was "cape with stilts." Talk about doing a double-take [:00]

"Implying that Fran can't knit is kind of like implying that the Pope can't pray."--RachelKnitter
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  08:40:07 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
One of the Fall or Winter knitting magazines had a pattern for a lovely cape in it. I'm thinking Vogue or IK. I wish I could remember off the top of my head the magazine and which edition. I'll peak at my copies when I get a minute today.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  2:50:24 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
It's the Fall 2005 issue of Vogue, Vicky. I just bought it yesterday and love the pattern. I made the one at LionBrands out of Homespun and ended up tearing it apart cause I didn't like it. Don't know whether it was the pattern or the yarn but didn't like the way it fit.

The one in Vogue is really pretty. It buttons up the front and has a ribbed collar. It's going on my list. I hardly ever wear coats here but think something like this would work well.

There's a hooded jacket in the same issue (and in the same pull out instruction sheet as the cape) that is also really pretty - it's made up of five panels which are then crocheted together to form the body and then the hood is knitted separately and sewn to the neck edge.

Also a neat cardigan in same issue that can be worn as a jacket or flipped over and worn as a shrug (the bottom of the jacket forms a shawl collar when worn as a shrug and is "knit in a circle from the center back"). I LOVE sweaters but don't wear them much here - but I have a daughter in CT who would look really good in either one of these :)

Interesting issue and I swear I don't work for the magazine!!
Go to Top of Page

typingN
Chatty Knitter

145 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  05:51:07 AM  Show Profile Send typingN a Private Message
It could have been more the yarn--I am not fond of working with homespun. The colors are wonderful but there is something about the finished product that I just don't like. It could be the way the yarn itself stretches and feels. I don't even like it for the shawls. When I make my shawls for Shawl Ministry, I use regular yarn in pretty colors and do up a pattern.

J

[quote]Originally posted by azblueskies

It's the Fall 2005 issue of Vogue, Vicky. I just bought it yesterday and love the pattern. I made the one at LionBrands out of Homespun and ended up tearing it apart cause I didn't like it. Don't know whether it was the pattern or the yarn but didn't like the way it fit.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.46 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe