Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Kats and Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Frenzy
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  9:15:11 PM  Show Profile Send Frenzy a Private Message
This is great. I look at these posts and think what a great group. I am owned by 4 cats. My oldest sits in my lap while I knit and he loves it. (So do I) I think its great when your pets can be part of your activites.

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2002 :  09:13:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
You're so right!

I used to live in an apartment where pets weren't allowed. I'd often joke with friends when they'd come over, showing them a pile of yarn on a chair and saying, "And this is Maude, my cat..."

Combining the two is like... chocolate and whipped cream. It doesn't get much better!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2002 :  12:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
My cats haven't yet discovered my knitting basket as a bed! Thank goodness, but each sweater I give has a little bit of each one of my cats - if there are a few little black hairs - it's George and striped hairs - it's Chloe. They ignore my knitting most of the time, but once in a while it will catch their eye and boy am I in trouble. They will bat at the yarn or try to catch the needles. :) I do come home every so often and find a small ball of yarn (taken out of my knitting basket) that has become a new toy, of course, they love anything that wasn't originally meant as a toy. They are completely mesmerized when I am winding a ball of yarn from the swift to the ball winder. Sometimes, towards the end of a ball of yarn (one that is a skeleton of it's previous life) I'll wind it into a nice small ball that isn't a mess and the cats love to chase the skeleton as it scoots around on the floor while it's being wound.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2002 :  3:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
How cute! I don't have pets any more, but my best friend has a shaggy (and sheddy) white dog. We knit together whenever I see her (she's in Detroit, I'm in metro DC), so I usually have pieces of "Flash" in my sweaters to remind me of both of them. I'd don't even pick them out of the stuff I knit for myself - it makes me feel close to them.

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2002 :  11:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
When I got home last night, I decided to see what George would do with a ball of yarn and some needles. You can see my silly results on my website - http://erica-lee.org/knit/trendy.html
I was going to put a bunch of links showing how knitting is becoming trendy, but I lost site of my intention when I downloaded the photos from my digital camera.

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2002 :  3:05:12 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Loved the pictures, Erica, especially since I can no longer have pets..(allergies.) The photos of your Kat chewing on the knitting needles reminded me of the time I bought some baleen knitting needles and my puppy ATE them. Evidently they were made with a milk base...LOL

Fran

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2002 :  09:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
Fran-
I have had several students come into class with chewed up needles. Their dogs love the bamboo needles. :) Thankfully, my cat didn't do any damage to the needle, he couldn't quite figure out what the heck it was. He decided that he might figure it out by chewing on it. :)
I don't know how I lived by myself without any pets, I love having a pet presence there when I come home.

Wow! My 100th post! :)

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2002 :  4:09:35 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
(Whining....)I need a cat! My dear little Hazel disappeared last January and has never come home. She was such a sweetie, but loved to go outside all the time. She even refused to use the litter box...would stand by the sliding glass doors mewling and tapping till someone let her out. My DH (who is really a sweet guy, but I'll let you decide on what the D stands for in this case) used to call her Coyote Food instead of Hazel. I can only hope someone decided to convert her to being an indoor cat! But DH said No More Cats! so I'm catless. I read all your posts about your cats with such longing! Sigh.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2002 :  5:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I, too, would be miserable living alone - I'm SO greatful for my little fur-people. Trevor (my fiance Ken has dubbed him the Pygmy Tiger) is a laugh a minute, and Misha is my pride and joy. Ken knows full well which side his bread is buttered on - he gives the cats gifts at all the holidays, and it has been made quite clear to him that if Misha didn't like him, I'd second guess my own feelings (Trevor is less selective than Misha, and has been known to make friends with all matters of being, whereas Misha's affections are rare but unwavering)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2002 :  5:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Hey, Erica! I love your website!!! I'm at a work computer right now and can't get to e-mail to send you this link for favorite knitting images, but try webshots.com, and search for knitting - they do lots of screen savers and wallpapers for free, and there's a great shot of Russell Crowe knitting, among others!

This is it:
http://www.webshots.com/search/search.fcgi?cl=1&ch=1&ws=1&new=1&words=knitting

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2002 :  1:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
RoseByAny-
Thanks for your link! :) I'd seen that photo somewhere before, but couldn't remember where. I'm going to do some serious webpage updating this weekend, so I hope to get it up this weekend.

If anyone else has images of famous people knitting - Winona Ryder, Julia Roberts - I would love to have the link!

Also have you checked out the NPR link that I posted in another forum folder?

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2002 :  3:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I'd love to hear the NPR thing, but I don't have a RealPlayer... any chance it could be e-mailed in *.mp3 or *.wav to me?

I'm wondering if you could grab a still from America's Sweethearts of Julia knitting....

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2002 :  3:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
RoseByAny & Others-
You can download Real Player for free from their website. I don't remember what their URL is or I would post it here.
Since the report comes off of the NPR website, I don't know if it can be converted to a different format.

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2002 :  11:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
How coincidental - I rented America's Sweethearts last week, and there is a split-second shot of Julia knitting on a yummy-looking deep purple sweater with a wide cable up the middle. I like her even more now!

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2002 :  4:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
Okay, so I would have seen America's Sweethearts sooner or later because I love John Cusack, but is it bad of me to rent it just to see Julia Roberts knitting? :) I'm hoping there will be extra stuff on the DVD of her knitting if it's not in the movie. I haven't watched it yet, I was too enamored with the Moulin Rouge DVD.

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2002 :  5:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
It's a good movie for John Cusak fans (I am too!) and you only see her knit for about fifteen seconds... doesn't compete with the Moulin Rouge DVD, though!!!

But I have to admit, I did rewind the scene of Julia knitting a few times...

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  3:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I really enjoyed the movie. It's worth reading, IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2002 :  08:17:44 AM  Show Profile Send Marilyn a Private Message
Since I became a gramma and have begun knitting, my two year old cat loves to spend time with me. He used to sit in my husband's lap, but now all I have to do is have my knitting out, and he is my new "best friend". He doesn't usually have to play with any of my knitting "stuff", he just seems to want to be near me when I knit. Too Cute!

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2002 :  2:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Great shots of George "Knitting" and of Russell Crowe...Our cat Socks was watching my daughter weaving on a small hand loom last night, as a change from her knitting, and he was really funny. He has his head kind of tipped down towards her work, watching it intently, for several minutes. Then, all of a sudden, he pounced on the yarn. He's 8 years old, and huge, but, he seemed like a little kitten then. Barb

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  4:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
This is possibly a random question for the redheads out there, and it's COMPLETELY off the topic of knitting, so please forgive me, but I'm curious how many are calico cat owners also, if any (other than myself)

My "more mature" cat is a calico, and she's absolutely the love of my life, and a true mama's girl - as my mother says, I'm the important person in the world, she and my fiance are tolerated, and every one else can vaporize, in Misha's eyes.

Calicos are sort of the redheads of the cat world - that is, they have a reputation for being quite fiesty. I actually stopped going to a certain vet because I felt it was almost kitty racism how much she complained about the temperment of calicos - particularly when mine is such a sweetheart (it's not my fault if she nips at the person who gives her shots whenever we see her!!! I'd be tempted myself!)

It would be interesting if the "fiesty haired" humans were drawn to (or picked by) the "fiesty haired" felines....

Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  08:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I have three feline roommates. Two are tabies and one is a Russian Blue. (No calicos, but all very feisty.) My tabbies love to "help" me knit. Nekko goes straight for the yarn and George gnaws on the needles. It is really amazing that I can finish anything.

Moreover, I have noticed that George love to knead on anything soft and wooly. I really have to protect all my projects from his claws.

I tease them that their fur would make very soft sweaters so they have to play nice with me.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?