Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 KP in cables?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  1:45:04 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I'm planning to knit a long, cabled cardigan-type thing-- about halfway down the thighs and long sleeved in KP's Wool of the Andes. So I have two questions for people who have used Wool of the Andes:
Does it have enough stitch definition to be used for a cabled pattern? (I'm thinking of using Snickerdoodle)
And also, how many skeins would you recommend for a kids size 12-14 long cardigan type thing as described above? I was thinking about 19-20, but I don't want to buy it and find it way off. Thanks!

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  4:28:14 PM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
The stitch definition is ideal for cables. No worries there. I don't know about the number of skeins...
Go to Top of Page

SaraRachel2004
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2005 :  11:38:50 AM  Show Profile Send SaraRachel2004 a Private Message
I estimate yardage on things by going to theknittinggarden.com and browsing through their pattern section for something similar in the right size (if you browse patterns by type, you can go directly to some girls patterns, or look for a women's pattern in a similar chest measurement). Just mulitiply the yardage per ball of the recommended yarn by the number of skeins, and you have the total yardage needed. You can find a cardigan that's a similar length and just add a few hundred yards to account for the cabling (add up to 30% of the total yardage if there's allover cabling planned). Just make sure you find a pattern to estimate yardage by that calls for a similar gauge yarn.
Go to Top of Page

tincanknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  12:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit tincanknitter's Homepage Send tincanknitter a Private Message
I made a cabled vest of WOTA in the chestnut color for DH and I am very pleased with the stitch definition. I'd recommend it. I don't know how many skeins to suggest but I used close to 10 skeins for the vest (adult size 47" chest). I've got some pics of it in my photo album. Good luck!

Vyv

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vyvneel%40sbcglobal.net/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

brown-eyed purl
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  2:08:00 PM  Show Profile Send brown-eyed purl a Private Message
I'm doing a cabled sweater in it and it is lovely, even in a dark blue...I think I ordered 17 skeins for mine which is a small adult loose-fit sweater. Though, honestly, at so little for an extra skein or two and so many uses for worsted yarn out there, it wouldn't hurt for you to be generous in your estimates either!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe