Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Where can I find the best inexpensive cashmere?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rachelknits
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  06:06:17 AM  Show Profile Send rachelknits a Private Message
Seems like a lot of you purchase your yarn on-line. I like to actually go into my LYS. I'm looking for the best-qualityy, least expensive cashmere available. (Sounds oxymoronic, huh? But if you like to knit like I do, I love the feeling of it.) Any suggestions?

Oliversmom3
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  06:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oliversmom3's Homepage  Send Oliversmom3 a Yahoo! Message Send Oliversmom3 a Private Message
They are having a Liquidation sale here:

http://nandia.com/1cashmere/products2.html

Enjoy!
Joan

http://knittinggrandma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

asemumma
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  05:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit asemumma's Homepage Send asemumma a Private Message
Be warned, nandia is notorious for extremely slow shipping. I purchased 2 skeins on 7/23 and I just got a shipping notification on Saturday. If you complain about slow shipping, they call you "impatient" and will leave - feedback on e-bay, if you go about it that way.

Great products, great prices, but I'm not thrilled with the service.
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  06:28:41 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
There is a new company called Jade out of China that sells cashmere at a really low price. I'm sorry that I don't know of anyone who carries it yet. It is on our list to re-review at TNNA in January. We didn't buy it first time around as we already had cashmere from other sources and were waiting for customer interest before adding another resource. It was priced reasonably, but quality was not quite up to others.The price however, certainly gave it merit for those who are label consious and are not as discriminating as to fiber. KL
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  06:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Be careful - there is a huge range of quality in cashmere, and the worst of it is awful. I'd be leery of really cheap chasmere - you might get what you pay for. Expensive fiber is no guarantee of quality either, unfortunately. I'd advise spending a little more with a quality vendor.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  07:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message

KL, is this the one you mean? http://www.jadesapphire.com/
They had a booth at Stitches Midwest. Some of it is available online from Jimmy Bean's Wool.

Barb [Knittin' like crazy in Kalamazoo]
"You can't get a hit unless you're swinging."
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

Oliversmom3
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  06:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oliversmom3's Homepage  Send Oliversmom3 a Yahoo! Message Send Oliversmom3 a Private Message
I have heard about problems with Nandia on ebay. However, I have ordered twice from their website and had my order in less than a week. Another friend ordered from them last Wednesday and received her order yesterday (Monday). I placed an order on Sunday. I'm hoping to hear about shipping today, but we'll see.

http://knittinggrandma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  06:26:07 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Blr4229- Yes that is the company. We were kind of blown away by the price.
Lissa, I agree with you wholeheartedly about the importance of quality tho- it was a little sub-standard, which is why we decided to pass. I do think it bears watching for improvement, which is why we will shop the line again. If they can improve and hold the line of pricing, I think we will test it.
As I commented above, We do have a patron or two that wants to knit in cashmere, but always passes when they learn the price. At that point we turn them on to Karabella Margarite which is a blend- then they are quite happy. KL

Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  06:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
Cashmere is one of those fibers when it's really important to be able to see and feel the product.

At Stitches Midwest, there were several vendors with 100% cashmere. I can't remember them all but I know I liked the feel of the 2ply that I bought from JoJoland. I checked out their website and didn't see a whole lot about ordering (prices) but I would definitely buy from them again. The event price was 24.99 for 2 oz/400 yds of 100% 2ply cashmere. I bought one skein of natural and one of cream. They are incredibly soft and odor-free. I can't wait to knit with them.

Barb [Knittin' like crazy in Kalamazoo]
"You can't get a hit unless you're swinging."
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  08:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I carry Jade Sapphire. I prefer their cashmere/silk blend. The quality of that seems nicer. It's soft,soft, soft and the colors are lovely. I really enjoy knitting with it. Their 2ply has alot of yardage (400yds) for the $34.00.

http://www.fullthreadahead.com/cgi-bin/yarn.shop/st_main.html?p_catid=28

For 8ply (worsted weight). I prefer the Lobster Pot Yarns. They're more expensive $40 for 100 meters, but the feel and color are superior. You can see the colors here:

http://www.fullthreadahead.com/cgi-bin/yarn.shop/st_main.html?p_catid=80

The cashmere ones are the same colors, I just haven't gotten them photographed yet.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

Kiseichan
Warming Up

91 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  5:08:12 PM  Show Profile Send Kiseichan a Private Message
There's a seller named cashmeresale I really like on ebay. S/he sells really soft, beautifully colored cashmere (though the colors are limited: brown, natural white, and a brown/white lace blend that actually is very nice - but you can dye the white yourself). I recently got about 2,800 yards of 2-ply laceweight cashemere for $37. Typically about 1200-1400 yards of sportweight cashmere sells for about that much too (although sometimes the auctions go up to $50-$60 - it's sort of a luck thing). But at any rate, that's very, very, very affordable and I can attest to the quality of the cashmere. Probably so can the insane amount of good reviews s/he's had of the yarn.
Go to Top of Page

JenG
Chatty Knitter

Canada
261 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  1:06:04 PM  Show Profile Send JenG a Private Message
Hi there! Well, I wouldn't say that this particular brand is cheap, cheap, but to me, it's worth the money. www.fleeceartist.com makes some of the yummiest yarn I've ever used. I've made one scarf with their 4 ply cashmere (available at their Handmaiden sister site), and I just bought a ton of their yarn for Xmas gifts. One will be a scarf made from their silk/cashmere blend (came to $66 Cdn for two large hanks), another is an afghan I'm making for me (using a blend of mohair yarns--$80 for all the yarn and the pattern), and a jacket for my mom (using Kiss Curls--kid wool--and Baby Kid, which cost about $75 for yarn and pattern). Their yarn goes a long way, and the colours and textures are to die for. I love working with their stuff and it really wouldn't bother me if I just stuck with their products.
Go to Top of Page

Debby Abrahams
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  2:18:07 PM  Show Profile Send Debby Abrahams a Private Message
I have made two sweaters out of the Jade Sapphire Cashmere 2-ply, and I guess I am ignorant, but I found it to be totally adequate--soft, colorfast, and easy to machine and hand knit. The first cost me only 4 skeins (@ $30.00) and the second took 5 (@ $33 each). I have two more in the works, and I am looking forward to knitting them. I also have some Hand Maiden 2-ply on order, so can let you know what I think when I receive it.

Happy Knitting!
Debby
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  08:59:27 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Did you see the ebay seller advertising today? They have a lot of colors of lace and fingering weight cashmere at reasoanble prices. They do say that it si coned and lightly oiled for machine kniting, so you have to knit and wash a swatch to appreciate it. I decided to risk trying it and bought enought to make Ene's Scarf in Scarf style for $37 and the shipping is free for us this month. I'll let you know how I like it but it might be too late for the free shipping. I asked a question and got a friendly answer in minutes. That's a good sign as far as customer service!

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

yivich
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  7:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit yivich's Homepage Send yivich a Private Message
if you want to get the best bang for your buck on cashmere, go for thinner gauges -- you get more knitting out of it and it's usually cheaper for an entire project. Karabella Supercashmere Fine is $25 a ball and with 2 you can make a lace scarf.

If that doesn't appeal to you, Filatura Aiko is a great option, because it's so fluffy. They're 25gr balls but there's about 100 yards in a ball, you need about 10 for a medium pullover, and it's on a size 9 needle. Suggested retail is $24.

I've knit with A LOT of different cashmeres, and you really do get what you pay for. The best cashmeres are processed in Italy, not China. They cost about $50 a ball, and they're worth it. There is simply no comparison between Classic Elite Sinful, or Filatura Cashmere 100, and Jade Sapphire or Lobsterpot. If you hold a ball of each in your hands, you'll see the difference in lustre, loft, body, and halo. Halos may seem pretty, but they're a sign of inferior quality and will cause the yarn to pill.

If you have a specific (commercial) yarn you're considering I can let you know if I've had experience with it . . .
Go to Top of Page

to_the_pointe@comcast.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  9:23:43 PM  Show Profile Send to_the_pointe@comcast.net a Private Message
I have bought cashmere from ebay seller Colourmartuk I bought some 4ply that was in skeins and prewashed though I will be buying by the cone for my knitting machine. I am knitting a pair of socks with it and it is truely premium quality I believe they are mill ends from Duncan and Heinz which are a top quality scottish mill. While the yarn I bought was prewashed washing the tension swatched revealed a gorg. yarn with just the right amount of bloom
Go to Top of Page

ruthbe
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  05:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit ruthbe's Homepage Send ruthbe a Private Message
Another vote for http://stores.ebay.com/ColourMartUK_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm ... I bought some already washed cashmere from them for $8 per skein (240 yds), and am planning to make socks ... the customer service was fantastic. I'll be ordering from them again.
Go to Top of Page

julie1015
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  06:59:43 AM  Show Profile Send julie1015 a Private Message
How about the 100% cashmere at Elann? It's 177yds of DK weight at 50gm balls for $12.50. I've never knit with it but I am extremely tempted.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

spirals
Chatty Knitter

102 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  7:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit spirals's Homepage Send spirals a Private Message
I also bought cashmere from colourmartuk and love it, I highly recommend their yarn and I had great customer service as well!

http://spiralz.tripod.com/blog/
Go to Top of Page

tejiendo
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  2:57:45 PM  Show Profile Send tejiendo a Private Message
I've ordered from Colourmartuk and have been very pleased with their products and customer service. Considering that they are oversees, delivery is quite fast.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  10:51:05 PM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
Those of you in the US who bought from Colourmartuk - did you have to pay customs, and if so, how much? The guy's e-mails are very friendly and I like his prices, but then I didn't bid as I thought duties may be horrendous...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?