Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 How-to DVD's
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KAMAOR
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  09:09:47 AM  Show Profile Send KAMAOR a Private Message
Hi I'm new to the KR and been prowling around the edges taking everything in. I am a very left handed beginning knitter, who has to watch someone do a stitch for a bit to convert it so I can do it, or have actual pictures to go by. My bestfriend who is a knitting fanatic. Helps when we are together but we can't get together often enough. (it's a 4hr. drive) Anyway blah blah blah. Has anyone checked out any of the DVD's out there? I'd like to sit at home and try and figure it out. I could have sworn some where I saw one rated highly but it had a pink case? Ring any bells?
Thanks for the help, you guys are great!
Karen

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Karen,
Knitting is a two handed activity - much like typing. Many lefties assume that they must learn to knit "opposite" the usual way, especially because it feels awkward when the first try knitting. Well, it feels awkward for righties, too. It's just your hands and fingers learning a new skill. And if you learn to knit 'continental' style, it's very left hand dependant, anyway.

That said, the best video instruction I've ever seen is at KnittingHelp.com. She doesn't have a DVD, but all the videos (over 150) are available on CD. The direct link to the CD purchase page is HERE.

Anyway, I'd recommend NOT attempting to reverse everything, but to look at it like typing - something for BOTH hands to learn.

-Wendy
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

KAMAOR
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  1:11:40 PM  Show Profile Send KAMAOR a Private Message
Thanks Wendy, I had used Knittinghelp.com before and didn't realize she had a CD. Thanks. As for my left handedness. I learned to just do a knitting stitch as a kid from trying to copy my mom who is right handed. So it's not that I'm just learning it's that I'm expanding. Old habits of holding the needles and working the way I do is very comfortable as to trying to do what others around me are trying to teach me. of the 4 yarn shops in the area none of them has ever seen some one knit quite like I do. My curse! LOL!. Anyway thanks for the reply I already ordered the CD. Now if I could only find the DVD I know I saw!
Thanks Again,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  9:28:00 PM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
Welcome to the forum . Have you tried your library?? I currently have a 'Learn to Knit Socks' by N. Wiseman at home. It's on VHS. I've checked out lots of visual stuff through the interlibrary loan dept. Worth a shot. Most are on VHS, so I don't know if that would be a problem or not.
mwyn

One who works with his hands is a laborer. With hands & head; a craftsman. With hands, head & heart an artist. (Paraphrase St. Francis of Assissi)
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  10:58:02 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KAMAOR

I could have sworn some where I saw one rated highly but it had a pink case? Ring any bells?
The DVD you're probably thinking of is The Art of Knitting (it has a pink case). They just released volume 2.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  5:32:00 PM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message
Has anyone else seen the Art of Knitting 2? I just received my DVD today and I don't know if it's just my copy, but I'm sooo disappointed. It seems overexposed or something.

A lot of what they are doing can't even be made out. Jennifer Knits was working on a cable sample and the screen & the piece were so white/washed out you could at times not even see it.

Same with Barry White of Trendsetter - he's showing a white sweater and pointing out the interesting use of novelty yarn - which you literally can not even see.

What the ???? Is there such a thing as an individual "bad" DVD - or would they all be like this?

On the title page (again white) I can't even read the text.
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  5:35:15 PM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message
Also in the sock knit a long the instructor goes to a white board and is writing a diagram/instructions. At times she'll be writing something on the board but all I could see is white.
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  09:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
Tracy:
I would definitly contact the publisher/producer or the place of purchase to see about a satisfactory replacement.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe