Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 Closed on Mondays?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  10:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how many LYS are closed on Mondays? It seems that several in my area (of course the closest ones) keep their doors shut on Mondays. Is there a particular reason why Mondays and not Tuesdays? It seems that both are kind of slower days...

DISCLAIMER: I'm not *really* complaining, I do understand that LYSO's need days off just like normal people. And, since they are already working during normal business hours, they often don't have the time they need to run errands or deal with other businesses, hence the reasoning of taking a day off during the work week. We do the same thing in theatre - Equity rules and regs and such. I'm just bummed because Mondays are our traditional dark days, too, and I can't go drool over yarns on my day off!

FO: scalloped baby blanket, "Cleo" halter top, Winter Night Afghan #1(Blue/Cream), Booga Bag, Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf
WIPs: Knitted Stripes Afghan, Winter Night Afghan #2 (Emerald/Tan), Rainy Day Scarf, Easy Mittens
Backstage Stitches

knittingewe
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  10:35:45 AM  Show Profile Send knittingewe a Private Message
That's funny since most of the places around here are closed on Tuesdays.

Happy Knitting,
Jenny

So Much Yarn, So Little Time...
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  10:53:35 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
I think EVERY yarn shop I've been to (around 15+) are closed on Mondays. I think it's because most businesses are traditionally closed on Sundays, this probably has ties to it being "a day of rest." I'm guessing specialty shop owners have chosen to have a second day off during the week in an effort to have a two day weekend. Therefore, to have two days off in a row it must be Sunday and Monday. Saturday is a day when the regular working Joes can shop so specialty shops need to be open then. Just a guess.
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  11:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit knottyknitter's Homepage Send knottyknitter a Private Message
I remember when I was a kid that lots of businesses that were open on Saturdays and Sundays, or just on Saturdays, were closed on Mondays. This included hair salons and many restaurants to name a couple. Obviously, it made sense for the shops to be open on Saturdays to get the business of people working during the week, but these were often very small family run businesses and the shop owners needed their time off too.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  4:39:07 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
It's rare to find any shops closed here on any days of the week, but some small businesses will be closed on Mondays if they are closed Sundays, presumably so that they can have a "weekend" without having to employ extra staff.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 3 WIPs, 18 FOs
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  5:13:22 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
My LYS is closed Mondays...I assume so the employees have a "weekend". They also close at 2 on Saturday and at 4:30 every other day but Tuesday, when they're open till 6:30 (??). Great hours for the employees, not so great if you're trying to get some yarn.... But when I can get there, I usually drop more cash than I had intended. They've got great stuff there!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  5:20:28 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
We thought about this issue carefully before opening. As most of our county LYS's are closed on Sunday and Monday, we decided to be open on Sunday from 12 till 4 to take some of that patronage of weekend shoppers that cannot do everything on a Saturday. We are closed on Monday's for the above reasons,like we need a day off too. Most Sundays we can gross in 4 hours what we will do on an average day, so, it has certainly been worthwhile. We will continue to evaluate the Monday thing if we can figure that it will be a day that we can alternate in our schedule and proves to be vital in sales. I think most veterans are kind of programed into the Monday being closed. We did have an irate message from someone who screamed into the phone"What the hell is this being closed on Monday's all about", and then she hung up. We thought it was kind of funny and figured that maybe she was a newbie and did'nt know that most of them were. KL
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  07:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
We're closed most Sundays and Mondays, for the simple reason of having a life outside of business :) Sunday is time with the 4 kids, and Monday is for errands and doctor appointments. It works well for us, as the other LYS is closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays... one of us is always open this way! We did take in account the area, and are open occasionally on Sundays depending on the timing of the weekend (we're a high tourist area.)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  06:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
You must live near me! It makes me mad actually that the two closest LYSs to me are both closed on Mondays (and I think it's a bad decision on the closest one, which is actually a needlepooint shop that is cashing in on the knitting frenzy) because when I need something on a Monday they both lose my business. I'm not usually waiting until Tuesday to buy what I need, I'll drive farther to one that is over and/or go to Michael's.

I understand that they need a day off, but on the other hand, a retail store is usually open every day, if only limited hours. I'm sure that they just balanced their need with a day off with which days they get the least customers. It's just frustrating that I have driven over on a Monday more than I want to remember, only to see that they were closed.

Elspeth
Silicon Valley, CA
http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  06:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
Sorry, typo, I mean I'll drive farther to one that is open, and we have tons of LYSs, and some are open on Mondays and some are not. Same with Sundays.

Elspeth
Silicon Valley, CA
http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annawolfsong
Chatty Knitter

118 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  07:00:46 AM  Show Profile Send Annawolfsong a Private Message
I'm not a knitting shop owner, I own a day spa but since it's just DH and I we are only open Wednesday afternoons/Evenings, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 10-7. I realize it's limited hours and that's my choice to lose business the other days but I am willing to come in either early (before 10am) or stay late into the evening for my clients. I have even made sure to come in during vacations when a client has a special even to prepare for. I figure that loyalty goes both ways, I provide a great service and environment for their needs and they choose to work around my hours.

This gives me a three day weekend and Wednesday mornings for volunteer work. Since the majority of the this town works four day weeks in the Lab or the Medical (the two largest employers) no-one seems to mind.

It all boils down to loyalty to your service provider, will you wait one day and have a little patience to support someone local who is trying to both fill your needs and have a life?

Owning a business means having to deal with the public all day and having to be cheerful and friendly all day (even if you have cramps, a headache, home problems, teething baby etc.) so frankly most of the very people oriented service industries need some extra time to de-stress and relax. I'm not saying we don't love our customers, frankly I adore most of mine, but after dealing with *their* problems all week long and not being able to talk or deal with mine, I do need the extra relaxation and I'm sure the yarn store owner would like some knitting time too.

Sorry for the long post, sort of a hot button with me that with all the big box stores out there that can hire 100's of people and stay open 24/7 customers often forget that running a small business is 1000 times more difficult and we deserve some respect and loyalty for trying to be there for them but still retail a positive lifestyle for ourselves.

AnnaMarie
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  07:14:38 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
AnnaMarie- AMEN! KL
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  5:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Annawolfsong

Owning a business means having to deal with the public all day and having to be cheerful and friendly all day (even if you have cramps, a headache, home problems, teething baby etc.)

I think AnnaMarie made a great point here. My youngest is disabled and on Mondays I'm often at the Nerologist. As that's the day his appointments are, I feel NO guilt not being open. I suppose I could be open 7 days, if I could justify paying someone $7 an hour, which I can't. Hopefully someday we'll have enough traffic to do so... Until then I know who is open on the days I'm closed, and so do the locals here. Besides, if I wasn't worth waiting for, all my regulars would be buying yarn online lol

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  7:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
As long as you earn enough to make ends meet why open more than you have to? Mondays and Tuesdays are often slow days so use the time more productively and devote your time on the busy days to the shop.

It makes perfect sense to me...now if only my boss would let me work a 4 day week...

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  12:39:32 PM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message
A store near me (DC area) is closed on Sundays... the only day of the week I actually have a life. They say on their website that they need a day of rest *too* but I gotta say that if it were my store, and knowing knitters (and non-knitters) like I do--I would close on a Mon. or Tues. It just strikes me as bad business sense. But what do I know? They've been there for awhile... though I think they just started the Sunday-off thing recently. It may be due to personal issues. If it were the only day my spouse could get off, for example, I might do it then. Oh well. What can you do? There is life besides work...and knitting!
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  1:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
I don't care what day a store takes off as long as they post it in their advertising or otherwise make it clear. People totally have the right to pick their days off.

what irritates me is a shop (not a yarn shop, and anyway, it's out of business now) that has posted hours of "this is when we'll be open" except half the time they are not open - with no sign saying "sorry, emergency" or somesuch thing.

Where I came from, Sunday was typically the "day of rest" for shopowners but where I live now it's often Monday. I just keep a note of that in mind. (And frankly, with MY schedule, usually Saturday is the only day I'd be free to shop anyhow).
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  1:57:08 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
We've all become so programmed to have everything at our fingertips instantly - information, music, food, and yes, now yarn. It's funny - knitting is all about the process to me and not the object, although I do like a nice finished object as much as the next one. So why, if we are inherently "process people", do we need that instant gratification of the yarn? I'm going to think about this (and about the more than adequate stash resting in my daughter's closet), and try to be mellow about LYS hours.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

godlikeingoal
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile Send godlikeingoal a Private Message
Hi all,

My business partner and I are actually going to try a 7 day a week schedule. Since we're not going it alone, we have a "divide and conquer" type of outlook. Also, there are 4 other LYS in our vicinity, but they're all closed on Monday. We'll take any edge we can get.
Go to Top of Page

Ankhesenamun
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  6:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ankhesenamun's Homepage Send Ankhesenamun a Private Message
I know that the knitting store in Campbell, CA is closed on Mondays but the reason for that is that everything in Campbell is closed on Mondays. Alot of the smaller towns around here do that so that they can be open Sundays for people who work during the week.

Crocheters do it with Chains ;)
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  8:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
My LYS is closed on Sundays and Mondays. They are open until 6 pm on Wednesdays and on Saturdays they are only open for 5 hours, from 10-3. On Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays they are open from 10-4:30. I love the store but hate the hours, truely they are designed for knitters who don't have jobs.

Kris

2005 stats: 12 FO, 4 WIP, 6 USO, 1 Frogpond

How is it that my USO & WIP never decrease, no matter how many FO I create?

Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  07:24:59 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Kris- Those are terrible hours! Due to the traditional Sunday-Monday closing; we decided to be open Sunday 12-4pm to help with our working customers. I know it is not ideal, but at least we have a few hours with our families on Sunday. The hours have been wildly successful- we gross the same as we do on a regular day. As we need a day off, Monday just seems better as it is still the slowest day in retaildom. I don't get stores that close in the middle of the week. KL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?