Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What's the ugliest thing you've ever knitted?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  10:25:26 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
I'm now knitting the ugliest thing I've ever knit, a purple chenille like sweater monstrosity that may just get frogged, again.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  05:13:47 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
If you want to see some really ugly knitting, poke around on this site:

http://www.strickolino.com/collection.html

My personal favorite:
http://www.strickolino.com/bala.html

and this is a close second:
http://www.strickolino.com/dessous.html

but I wouldn't want you to miss this:

http://www.strickolino.com/cat.html

Now don't all your disasters look lovely?

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

JoanH
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  05:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoanH's Homepage Send JoanH a Private Message
The ugliest thing I think I ever knit was a red, white and blue afghan in cheap yarn with a crochet peace sign in the middle. It was pretty awful. The thought would be appropriate today but the project was downright ugly!!!

Blog: http://joanknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  05:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
Oh my.

I think I need to wash my eyeballs in Dettox now.

Go to Top of Page

spublick@maine.rr.com

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  06:00:03 AM  Show Profile Send spublick@maine.rr.com a Private Message
I keep friends and family amused by searching the web for pictures of ugly knitted clothes. It's also a good reference for what not to make. I did make a round shawl in dark purple mohair which ended up as a decoration on a chair until my niece came for a visit and adopted it. What looked hideous on me worked perfectly with her hair color. She also adopted the pink bulky yarn sweater that made me look like a beach ball. I now stick to mittens, baby clothes from good patterns, socks, and knitted animals.
Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  06:28:51 AM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message
I felted my mom a nice black purse (great design, nice yarn) and she wanted to a novelty yarn "trim" on the top in green. The only green novelty yarn available at the LYS looked like grass... really bright green, shiny, patchy, grass. So I added this to the trim on the top of the bag and felted. I knew it had the potential for disaster. My mother thinks the bag looks chic, and I think the bag looks like a golf course threw up on it.
Go to Top of Page

erica_hickey
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  06:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit erica_hickey's Homepage Send erica_hickey a Private Message
The ugliest thing I've ever knitted was an asymetrically off the shoulder sweater. Every other row on the shoulder section had decreases and I had forgotten to check my row gauge. I ended up with my off the shoulder hanging down to my waist with a little too much skin exposed. The yarn was beautiful; the stitches were lovely; the gauge was so off. Just thinking about that sweater makes me blush

Great topic! I've been having fun reading all of your stories.

EH
Go to Top of Page

Janice
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  06:47:40 AM  Show Profile Send Janice a Private Message
When my nephew was 3 I made him a use-up-your-stash little pullover in primary colors. I figured a 3-year-old was young enough to get away with it. As my brother said "he looks like an all-day sucker!" Solids from now on.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

AllisonV
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  06:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit AllisonV's Homepage Send AllisonV a Private Message
A couple years ago, I decided to make a scarf, thinking that combining several novelty yarns would make a unique and fun scarf- I know, I know, don't judge me. Boy, was I wrong. What I ended up with a was a hideous mishapen rectangle with fun furs and ribbons. I Don't know what I was thinking- I'm not usually adverturous, but seeing all those unique yarns at my LYS made me want them all. And if I could combine lots of them into one scarf, woudln't that be GREAT?? Wouldn't it?? Yeah, not so much.

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. -Confucius
Blog: www.simplysockyarn.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  07:21:25 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Good Lord, Anita, that site hurts my brain! They forgot to leave a hole in the hat to breathe through...let alone see out of...and the furry underwear makes me itch just looking at it...AAAAAAHHHHH! (runs screaming to the bathroom)

My pet fugly project was a crocheted sweater...well, ok technically I made two butt-ugly crocheted sweaters. One was a faux-aran that was so stiff it stood up by itself when it was done, not to mention being nine sizes too big for its unfortunate recipient (who, kindly, thanked me graciously and even wore it once for me to see before quietly burning it). The other was a lovely concoction of a dozen different fuzzy yarns in a truly eighties extra-wide batwing style. I was thin at the time, but it made me look like I was wearing an inner tube under my sweater, so I took it to the sewing machine and seamed several inches out of the sides and cut the excess off. This helped some, but then there were big ol' thick seam allowances in the sides that tickled and looked lumpy. Plus one of the yarns was too thin and that stripe with the holes in it, of course, was right across my chest.

Sigh. I hope my mom put that poor thing out of its misery when I moved out of the house.

Lin

"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  08:16:48 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

How on earth did you find that site, Anita? And is it a shop, like it looks? I wonder who buys this stuff, if it is?

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:
Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  08:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
The ugliest thing I ever knit was an awful orange and yellow scarf.. of course is was also one of the first things I knit!! SoI guess It's ok!

The benefit of having picked up knitting again now is I have much better colour sense and taste!!
Denise

Oh yeah!! I have a Blog now! www.kwon.relatedhelp.com
Go to Top of Page

blueknitter999
Warming Up

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  08:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueknitter999's Homepage Send blueknitter999 a Private Message
I tried to knit what was actually quite a nice pattern from an old copy of Interweave Knits. It was a dolman, with exposed seams down the front and back, in a perfectly nice shade of blue. However, I hardly ever gauge (naughty, I know) and the thing was way too small. So, I thought up a logical fix. Two extra panels down the front and back, inserted inbetween the exposed seam, thereby creating 2 exposed seams. However, I ran out of the yarn I was using, and bought a corresponding shade...in eyelash yarn. I figured it might be an interesting touch to make the panels out of this fun furry-like yarn.

It looks like a tent for Muppets. I won't even wear it when I'm laying around by myself at home. Oh, the shame.

Check out my blog: http://berrieh.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I have no idea where my Ugliest Thing is now...It was a cabled sweater that I made for my DH in a wonderful colour -- cranberry -- but the yarn, which I got at a yard sale on balls that had no labels (I should have known better! [**]) and of which I still have a ton -- was very scratchy. PLUS I made the sleeves ridiculously LONG (I have no idea why -- I SWEAR I measured! )... In the end it looked like it was made for a short-bodied, gangly armed soul who liked to itch!! [:00] I put it in a bag of stuff for the Sally Ann...perhaps the poor soul who's wearing it is made of sturdy stuff!

-- Marg (still blushing when I think of this!) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mimi1054
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  09:44:18 AM  Show Profile Send mimi1054 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SerMom

quote:

How on earth did you find that site, Anita? And is it a shop, like it looks? I wonder who buys this stuff, if it is?

Barbara

Photos:
Blog:
Fran's Site:

Anne

Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings--Salvador Dali
Go to Top of Page

simpleknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  09:45:35 AM  Show Profile Send simpleknitter a Private Message
Mine is a sweater from Knitting in America in KOIGU, no less. I did change the rust red multi to a rainbow multi and used a very dark midnight navy for the contrasting stripes, but it is HIDEOUS. I am 2 inches from finishing the second sleeve and sewing it all up but it makes me nauseous. I think that I will frog it and use the rainbow koigu for socks and the navy for a shawl. Ridiculous when you consider it takes 12 skeins of koigu---yes, very costly mistake.
Go to Top of Page

mimi1054
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  09:47:53 AM  Show Profile Send mimi1054 a Private Message
Barbara,

They sell on eBay, and if you check their feedback, apparently they have a very satisfied clientele! I can't get most of the photos to load on the older auctions, but the title of one of them includes the words "hot pants!" Sorry I missed out on that one!

Anne

quote:
Originally posted by SerMom

quote:

Barbara

Photos:
Blog:
Fran's Site:

Anne

Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings--Salvador Dali
Go to Top of Page

wittolink
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit wittolink's Homepage  Send wittolink a Yahoo! Message Send wittolink a Private Message
My first and biggest project...a 2 strand poncho...
The poncho has a hood. I plan to remake it.
I will be able to wear it in the house on cool
winter afternoons and evenings.

www.xanga.com/dnxggl

wittolink
www.bloglines.com/blog/wittolink
Go to Top of Page

EleniHowes@netscape.net
New Pal

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  1:17:06 PM  Show Profile Send EleniHowes@netscape.net a Private Message
[size=6][/size=6]

In 1987 I knit a beautiful sweater called Island Paradise (On the front of the pattern book it looked beautiful anyway)in Patons Cotton Sahara. Did the back, did the front, but oh those armholes, they turned out huge, wide, ugly, made my arms look like spindles.... Over the course of the next few years, I tried everything, knitting down from the shoulder, knitting with smaller needles, I tried to crochet around the armholes. Nothing worked and I have the darned thing in a knitting bag till this day. I knit and crochet all the time and never have had a problem like this one. But, you know, I can't get myself to throw it out. One of these days......

Helen - Toronto
Go to Top of Page

knittykate
Chatty Knitter

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  2:33:59 PM  Show Profile Send knittykate a Private Message
My second pair of mittens were in a funky lime green with a novelty yarn cuff. It looked good in theory on the pattern cover!

Keep with the knit!

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]

Kathleen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth