Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Hats, berets, and other head coverings
 seeking good photo of Janet Szabo Chemo cap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  5:26:04 PM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message
Hi there,
I just got the pattern of the Janet Szabo Chemo Toque from the Fabric Place -
being lately into making hats, I would like to try to make some for their Breast Cancer Awareness day on Oct 15th. I looked online at Janet's site but for some reason, the photo of the hat looks kind of dark on my computer and I can't really see what it looks like. Has anyone made the hat and if so, do you have an easy to see photo of it online? It helps me to see what I'm trying to make before I make it - not being that swift and skilled at knitting . I'm planning also to give copies of the pattern to the other knitters at the church I play at on Sundays. Seems like a good cause - I just hope I can make the hat!
Peace and thanks in advance.
also she suggests a few different yarns to try - I was wondering if anyone has tried using some other yarns successfully (that is a yarn that looks great and that chemo patients find comfy to wear and wash and wear etc etc...) I was thinking even the berroco softy yarn

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  03:50:19 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I suggest that you contact Janet Szabo and ask her about a photo. I have written to her several times and she is very helpful and answers her email failrly quickly. Her site is www.bigskyknitting.com There is a link on the lower left to email her. If you recheck the pattern on her site, you will see that she has a list recommended yarns. Any yarn that works up at 4 stitches per inch will work and that includes all worsted weight yarns and a few slightly chunky yarns.

The hat is a band of garter stitch, then you pick up around one edge of it and work it in stockinette stitch, divide your stitches into 5 sections and work your decreases. All a clearer picture will show you is stockinette stitch.

Personally, I would make one change to the pattern since I am not fond of picking up stitches along one edge of a band. I would cast on 110 stitches and work the band in k1,p1 ribbing which has a similar appearance to a vertical garter stitch. The only thing to remember is to keep the height of the hat before starting the decreases the same (6.5 inches)whether you are using the garter stitch band or the ribbing, so the hat will fit.

fran
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  09:30:01 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message
Thanks for the advice - I'll try contacting Janet
happy knitting
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  10:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Fran, your idea of a modification would be easier, but I have heard that any kind of ribbing is not good for chemo caps, as when the ribs pull in they are irritating to tender skin. I know that the family members that I have knitted for were very sensitive to any pressure or texture, and in fact often wore a soft seamless cap under hats, as the hats themselves were irritating.

Anyone else know about this?

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  7:55:04 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I just got my issue of her newsletter, Twists and Turns, and the pattern is in there with a good picture. I'ts a cute hat. I would wear it.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  7:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Anita, did you get a sample issue? I subscribe, and I really like the newsletter. Also, I second what Fran says--Janet is very friendly and she answers emails.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  8:42:02 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I understand what you are saying about ribbing, but a garter stitch band around the bottom of a cap is also ribbing. I just use 4 to 6 rows of garter stitch to end chemo caps and they are perfectly smooth on the inside. Just go down 2 needle sizes for the garter edging to pull it in a little.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  04:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Sorry, I was referring to your k1. p1 modification, Fran, not the idea of using a garter stitch edging to pull in the hem. I would imagine that is why Janet is using the garter stitch that way, to pull in the hem without adding uncomfortable ribbing on a chemo cap.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  10:10:23 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Sheila,
I think you are missing the point on the edge of Szabo's design. The garter stitch is used sideways, not the regular way. That forms what is called garter stitch ribbing. I am asking if that is smoother than regular ribbing because it is ribbing. What I do is a regular garter stitch, that is not turned sideways, and only a few rows. If you look at the inside of those hats, they are perfectly smooth. I am asking, not telling. Does anyone know?

fran
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  10:33:37 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

Anita, did you get a sample issue? I subscribe, and I really like the newsletter. Also, I second what Fran says--Janet is very friendly and she answers emails.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."

I've subscribed for a while now. I bought several back issues and then subscribed last year. I haven't made anything yet, but I have yarn to make an Aran for my husband and there's a lace and cable shawl I want to make out of alpaca on a cone that I bought on Ebay.

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  10:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Oh, now I understand, Fran. I didn't realize that you were asking about this yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  11:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I subscribe too, but didn't see the hat, that's why I was confused.

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  10:11:09 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message
Hi folks,
I got a very nice email from Janet Szabo and she said she knew about the photo being dark and had been meaning to put a better photo up on her webpage. She said she's email me when she got around to doing it. She hadn't heard of anyone using the Berroco softy I asked about. I went to The Fabric Place (mostly on East Coast I think) and AC Moore to look for the yarns she mentioned. Fabric Place has the Berroco chinchilla in several colors and the Sidhar (sp?) yarn and AC Moore carried the Lion Brand yarns she mentions. I'm going to try the berroco chinchilla first. Thanks all..
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message
More on yans -
these were the substitute yarns Janet Szabo lists on her site:

Sirdar "Snowflake"
Lion Brand "Homespun" or Chenille Thick 'n Quick
Velvet Touch
Classic Elite Cotton Chenille

by the way, Velvet Touch is also Lion Brand (it's a very thick chenille which came in pastel colors (white, pale yellow, lavender, baby blue, light green) - I've used it for loopy scarves and it's fun stuff to work with.
The only yarn I couldn't find was the Classic Elite Cotton Chenille.
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  11:37:11 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message
Oops, actually there seems to be a Velvet Touch made by Wendy/Peter Pan yarns - perhaps that's the yarn she means - I'll have to ask Janet Szabo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe