Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Yoga for Knitters.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YOGAKNIT
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  12:47:00 PM  Show Profile Send YOGAKNIT a Private Message
This past year I published a little handbook called Yoga for Knitters.
I was compelled to do this for a variety of reasons, but one being that during a knitting binge last year I sustained a significant tendinitis in my shoulder. Granted I had been knitting in the car for hours on end and quite a lot the week before. However being a yoga teacher I assumed my regular practice would balance it out.
Well I was wrong. It took a couple of months for it to heal. I adjusted my practice and learned a great deal working with this type of injury (a repetive stress injury).
Now I include a lot more stretches in my daily life to avoid this from sneaking up on me.
I also learned to stay away from the binging. It is not worth it.
My book includes lots of simple ideas for squeezing little yoga moments into your knitting life.

Anyone out there have knitting related ailments???
I would be interested in what you are dealing with.

Maureen
"the knitting yoga teacher"

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  1:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
Where can I get a copy of this? It sounds exactly what I'm looking for! I've been able to figure out stretches for my hands and wrists but need help with the shoulders.

http://www.kidknits.biz
Go to Top of Page

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  4:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message
I've been doing yoga for about two years now. I have never had much muscle in my arms, in fact, I'm pretty much a wimp. The yoga classes have helped with this, though I still know that when doing poses that require arm strength, I tend to abuse my wrists. About a year ago, I was at the point that I could hardly do downward facing dogs because my wrists hurt SO much. I eventualy figured out that the cause was twofold, 1) Too much knitting and 2) putting too much weight on my wrists instead of balancing it higher up.
I solved the painful wrists by taking breaks during knitting to do stretches and working on arm strength. I'm sure you cover the wrist stretches that I do in your book. I found that having slightly more muscle in my arms made a big difference both in yoga class and while knitting (I did not get tired as fast).
So, that's my story. Hope it helps.
-Erin

I wear fur - My cats leave it all over my clothes for me to wear.
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  4:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
A recent thing thats happened to me for some reason is that in my left hand, my ring finger and pinkie fingers have been very sore.. I've never had this kind of knitting related pain before.

I also get a slight cramp in my left elbow.. but sitting correctly usually fixes it.

I usually try to do hand and finger streches.. but I don't know if they're helping or not. lol.

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  6:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I would love to carry your book in my store. Is there a place to get it wholesale for retail stores?

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  7:01:43 PM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
I gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome but not by knitting. I was scraping paint in my daughter's room and kept at it all day, day after day, and switched from right hand to left when the right got sore. Duh!!! Tried lots of things, including a yoga class, but wound up having the surgery, which was very successful. I still don't do enough stretching and would *love* to buy a copy of your booklet. Please PM with information. I want to prevent any further troubles. I can get just the wee bit obsessive about things...

Dee

You can take the girl out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the girl.
Go to Top of Page

YOGAKNIT
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:59:05 PM  Show Profile Send YOGAKNIT a Private Message
Hojo,
thanks, that is great. For wholesale just email me: maureenbraun@ comcast.net I will give you the details.

Kidknits,
Please email me for ordering books directly from me, at the email address above. I will give you the details.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

YOGAKNIT
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  11:12:59 PM  Show Profile Send YOGAKNIT a Private Message
Dee,
See info above. Obsessives like us don't always listen to body signals until it is too late. Life is so much better when we balance our activities. Over-indulgence in anything takes its toll.

Maureen.
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  06:06:01 AM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Kimaroo - Pain and numbness in your pinkie and ring finger can be ulnar nerve issues. That's your funny bone, the thing in your elbow. I'm glad you figured out how to deal with it.
I've got big problems with my wrists too. I've figured out what caused it, but now I've lost a lot of flexibility. I'll order the book as soon as I can afford it!

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

limesally
Chatty Knitter

286 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  09:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit limesally's Homepage Send limesally a Private Message
Hi all,
delurking to say that I think Maureen is right on. I've done yoga for years, and have recently gotten back into knitting. Doing it obsessively has definately caused some aches and pains and yoga is definately part of the solution for me.

I've also used a yoga strap, tied around the upper body as a harness, to help support the back and shoulders and keep me from slouching, which is probably my main problem while knitting. (That probably sounds really strange to anyone that hasn't had exposure to Iyengar yoga).

I've had problems on and off with elbow tendinitis which has the potential to flare up when I've been knitting a lot, and again, yoga and/or therapeutic stretching is key to keeping the joint healthy and functional, at least for me.

Maureen, I'll e-mail you, I'm always interested in new ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Bess
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  10:46:59 AM  Show Profile Send Bess a Private Message
Has anyone done any studies on the best ergonomic positions for knitting? I tend to really tighten my shoulder muscles & have to very consciously relax them, but I don't know if it's because I'm still learning (the stress of dropping yet another stitch!) or I'm just not holding the knitting in a "good" spot. (PS - I did a search but received errors.)
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  11:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sallyjo

Kimaroo - Pain and numbness in your pinkie and ring finger can be ulnar nerve issues. That's your funny bone, the thing in your elbow. I'm glad you figured out how to deal with it.

Oh..? Hm. Well then I guess it'll get better while I sit better to stop my elbow from cramping. I thought it also might be because of how I hold my needles.. but I wouldn't know any other way to hold them. (And it's weird because I've never had this pain before.. and I'm holding my needles the same way.)

I'm knitting a bigger/heavier project than usual so I thought that might be it.. (Allthough I am using circs like I always do to keep the weight down.)

-Kim-

Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  4:24:33 PM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
I've developed carpal tunnel in my wrists. It's a combination of computer use and knitting. I think binge knitting played a significant role in my current flare up. I've got a series of wrist stretches from the doctor to do every day. I've really had to curtail knitting because it is painful. Hopefully I'm on the mend now!

Kim--I get pain in my ring and pinkie fingers as well. FYI, my doctor said this was very typical of carpal tunnel.

Sounds like a great book you've written.

Sarah

If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2005 :  11:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sparkleplenty

Kim--I get pain in my ring and pinkie fingers as well. FYI, my doctor said this was very typical of carpal tunnel.

*Shudders* Thanks.. I guess. (I mean.. thanks for passing on the info.. but I really don't want to have carpal tunnel. lol.)

-Kim-

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2666 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  05:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I've been doing yoga just about as long as I've been knitting - coming up on 9 years. My long-time yoga teacher just retired and I'm missing her classes a lot - there are other great teachers out there, but she was really special! She's also a knitter, and a few years ago she was selling these:

http://www.wristwand.com/

I bought two - one I keep in my desk at work, the other in my knitting bag. As long as I remember to use it a few times a week at least (daily is better) I have stopped having the tendonitis flareups that used to sideline my knitting for weeks at a time.

I'm not affiliated with this company at all, just a satisifed user. The idea is based on something very old - you can make your own with a section of dowel or broomstick - but it's the best think I've found to keep my wrists open.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  09:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
What do you do with the wrist wand? Is it weighted?

-Kim-

Go to Top of Page

limesally
Chatty Knitter

286 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  10:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit limesally's Homepage Send limesally a Private Message
I was wondering the same thing, from looking at the site.

There are carpal tunnel stretches where you (for example) allow the forearm to be supported, and let the hand stretch downwards to the floor. I think a small weight could be helpful for that.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2666 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  11:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
It's not weighted, just a dowel covered in foam. About the circumference of a US quarter. You hold it in front of you with your arms outstretched, palms up, then twist your arms around by curling your arms toward your chest and twisting one hand, then the other, around. You end up with your palms facing down and your elbows turned inside out. It sounds crazy but if you see it done it makes sense. Try it with a pencil or something to see what I mean! If you look at the sidebar on their website, in the border that runs down the left side, you can see a teeny illustration of the technique. I don't know why they don't make it easier to see!

The idea is based on a centuries-old set of excercises that are done by the people whose job is to turn bottles of champagne in the caves as the wine ages. The original carpal tunnel job! They use lengths of broomstick or dowels - all the Wristwand guy did was put foam on them and package them up.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  10:53:44 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
I received Yoga for Knitters today and am looking forward to doing the exercises. The book is a series of illustrations with many exercisies done while sitting. I have arthritis so this is perfect for me.
I am unaffiliated with Maureen. Two thumbs up for her little book!
Debra
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  11:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
My copy of Yoga for Knitters came today, I've gone through the stretches and parts of my body feel better than they have in a while! Thank you! (I'm not affiliated with Maureen either--just very happy to have her book and to recommend it!)

http://www.kidknits.biz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?