Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Have you bought any single patterns recently?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bullmonty
Seriously Hooked

814 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  4:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bullmonty's Homepage Send Bullmonty a Private Message
Wondering if KR knitters would buy single patterns or prefer compilations?
What's the most expensive pattern you've ever purchased?

The Maniacal Multitasker
[img][/img]

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  4:57:22 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
What's the most expensive pattern I've purchased?

I "wasted" $22.00 + s&h on a pattern leaflet I bought from an internet site. It had a lovely picture on the front, but looked completely different inside. If I'd been able to see that pattern at a LYS, I'd never have bought it.

I like books and single patterns.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

kfgardner
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  9:13:46 PM  Show Profile Send kfgardner a Private Message
I get books and end up only liking about one or two patterns out of it. I'd rather get a single pattern at a time. So far, the most expensive one is an Oat Coutre pattern from my LYS.

Kimberly
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  03:38:03 AM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
I much prefer an individual pattern to a whole book. I figure that way I'm only paying for the pattern I really want, and not paying for a bunch of patterns I'll never use. I recently purchased Rowan 34 solely for the Birch shawl pattern. $20 for one pattern seems pricy to me, but my sister liked some of the other items, so I think the book will get some use.

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  03:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
If you visit Heirloom Knitting you will probably start buying single patterns, that is, if you knit lace!

http://www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/index.html

I just ordered Sharon Miller's Wedding Ring Shawl pattern and the total cost, with shipping, is very close to $45.00 US. Worth every penny!

Now if I could just finish off a few of my WIP I could put more lace on needles! Oops, forgot, Christmas is comming! Christmas = more WIP

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

jbug
Chatty Knitter

234 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  06:39:20 AM  Show Profile Send jbug a Private Message
I love to look at the books and magazines, but I find that the patterns that I use the most are in the single pattern category. The latest ones I have bought have been around 4$. I have not paid more than 7.
jbug
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  07:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Here's a vote for individual patters. I know I spend less per pattern if I buy a book, but I won't buy a book if there's only one pattern I like in it, so I miss out on the one I like.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  08:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
I also tend to have lots of single patterns - the most I've spent for one as of now is $9.00.. and that was quite alot! But I have used it over and over. Usually I spend around $5/pattern.
Its a shame that people who print books don't also come out with individual patterns from each book awhile afterwards, say a year.. I wonder who we could lobby to have that done?!

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  08:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I don't buy a lot of single patterns, but when I do, I'm willing to spend. I am paying someone for their knowledge, for their skill, for their ability, for their magic touch. I think most patterns are underpriced.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I agree with you, Amanda. I'm happy to pay for a well-written pattern for a sweater that I'll love. Amortize the cost over the time spent knitting the thing, and it's fractions of pennies per hour.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  12:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I'm amazed at the number of people who will pay so much for yarn and then want the pattern for minute fraction of the cost of yarn. You spend $100 on yarn and you don't want to spend 1/10th that on a pattern? You can use the pattern and then REUSE the pattern without losing what you used in the first place, or resell it to someone else used (not saving any copies for yourself, etc), which is more than you can say for yarn.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Bullmonty
Seriously Hooked

814 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  4:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bullmonty's Homepage Send Bullmonty a Private Message
I'm partly guilty of that too. I usually see a yarn that's absolutely gorgeous, then ferret thru the LYS's patterns to see if I can get a pattern for it. Usually I don't see one that I like but that doesn't stop me from buying the yarn anyway!
I buy it and stash it and then scour other LYSs or the web for patterns. After a while, if I haven't found anything yet, I run out of steam and enthusiasm.
After a few yrs, I dig out my stash and wonder "when did I buy this?' and end up it giving it away/selling on ebay![crazy]

It's my own fault that my buying habits aren't spurred by seeing a pattern that I like and THEN buying the yarn. I find that there aren't enough patterns for choice out there and of late, I've noticed less and less single patterns being sold. I personally don't like the idea of buying a compilation for 1 pattern that I like in the whole book but have no choice sometimes.

Is it just me or is it really that there aren't many single patterns being sold anymore?
Amanda, I'd spend on a pattern but I don't see many interesting patterns being sold nowadays.

The Maniacal Multitasker
[img][/img]
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  4:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
I bought single patterns from Knitting Pure and Simple because they are priceless :)
As Amanda said, you can definitely reuse these patterns and they only cost $5 so that's great.

I bought some scarf patterns from Artyarns last year but I just realized that almost all of them are in "Modular Knits"! I will have to find a way to get rid of them (though those patterns give line-by-line instructions unlike the book).

But those are all the single patterns I bought. There are enough patterns in IK and my books to last me a long time because I'm such a slow knitter :)

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  6:36:24 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Amanda is right- most single patterns are under-priced and a great value. Knitting Pure And Simple patterns are extremely well written,and classic in design to let your yarn soar and really speak to you. They are definately our favorite for all-over inspiration. Fiber Trends are a great source also. A little more up-date on trendy designs,but will still be relevant in a couple of years or more. I personally don't like to go overboard on patterns that can be considered a flash-in-the pan. KL
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  7:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I like buying single patterns best.

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  8:27:32 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Uh, I would like to clarify that I said I wasted $22.00 on a pattern because it turned out to be very different inside from the image represented on the cover.

I have no objection to spending ANY amount of money on a pattern I want....single patterns or books!

Come to my house and you'll see what I mean! If I like a pattern enough to knit it, it's worth whatever it costs. I don't begrudge any designer their due.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  8:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
My post wasn't directed at you, Trish, it was directed at the general attitude of "I want free or under $5" that is often on ANY knitting board. I KNOW you give designers their due(s).

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  11:01:41 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Yeah, I knew that. I just wanted to clarify in case it sounded like I begrudged the bucks!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  06:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I always look through the binders of single patterns at LYS and usually find a few things to buy. I especially like Fiber Trends and Heartstrings for which I usually pay between $4 and $6. Lucy Neatby and Cabin Fever also have some good sock patterns that I've bought. Another favorite is Ann Norling because her patterns offer the same item knit in multiple gauges which is very appealing to anyone knitting from a stash.

Elann offers a very good selection of single patterns from various companies and if you are ordering yarn or needles, adding a pattern or two doesn't increase the shipping charge. If you just order patterns alone, you can take advantage of their $3 flat shipping for lightweight items.

I keep all the single patterns in a binder, as I'm sure everyone does, and at this point I have separate binders for socks, shawls & scarves, afghans & misc, and baby things. I'm about to start a second one for socks since I also include the internet freebies and I have a lot of sock patterns at this point.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  08:22:02 AM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
I much prefer single patterns for sweaters and such, and books for reference (like Knitting on the Edge, etc). I have no problem with the price points most of my LYS's set, since I usually buy patterns I will use more than once anyway.

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

LesleyKnits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  10:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit LesleyKnits's Homepage Send LesleyKnits a Private Message
Most of the patterns I've seen at the LYS are $6 and under. I have bought only one single pattern there and it was $4.

I do have 4 books and I bought them because I thought I'd probably make at least 4-5 of the projects in each book.

As far as how much I'd be willing to spend - like anything else I buy if I really love it I'm willing to shell out for it. For me it's worth it to buy something I love than to buy something that's cheaper that I just like.

I have a blog! http://honeybeeknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.