Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Being a Knitter vs. knowing how to knit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  08:32:57 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
In a previous thread, a member said "This place [KR] has made a knitter out of me (in my mind), rather than just someone who knows how to knit."

A significant distinction that prompts me to ask: At what point did you make the leap from "I Know How To Knit" to "I Am A Knitter"?

For me recognition dawned when I cast on for a pair socks with no directions, only an idea in my head -- which in hindsight is not especially difficult, but speaks to me nonetheless of a skilled, confident, creative artisan. I had become A Knitter.

Karen
My knitting photos: http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/karenknits/

mands1229
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  08:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit mands1229's Homepage  Send mands1229 a Yahoo! Message Send mands1229 a Private Message
Karen,

I've had moments like that (with the sock) but for me it was when I started dreaming about projects...literally dreaming at night, while asleep. I would wake up at 2 in the morning with ideas for patterns that might work someday. Now, I'm not yet enough of a knitter to bring those ideas to fruition, but I will be someday. Until then...I'm an intermediate knitter. :)

http://kyknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  10:49:07 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
I can't remember a time that I wasn't a knitter. Or what I was before. But, I always feel distinctly knitterly when I hear DH talk about me to others, or ask me what my plans are for the week/weekend etc. It's usually something like "she's busy knitting," "she has knitting plans those nights (insert many days of the week)," "who are all the knitters coming over," "should I cook for the knitters?" etc.
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
I felt that I became a knitter when I realized that knitting was something I wanted to do on a regular basis...and when yarn, needles, and patterns started taking over my house. :D

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  12:21:47 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I learned to knit very early in my life and it is something that I pretty much always do, meaning that I often line my day up around time to knit, thinking about knitting or wanting to knit. Throughout my life, I have had other hobbies and have dabbled in many arts and crafts. But it was just that, I tried to learn, practiced or picked up the hobby from time to time. I do not consider myself a seamstress but I do know how to sew. I love to paint but I am not as good at it as I would want to be so I don't even say I know how to paint well. However, knitting I can do with little thought and it gives me great pleasure and peace while other crafts are things I just know how to do. I guess that defines the topic for me and it was a good thread topic to start, Karen!

M L
Others may ask, "What's in your wallet?" But I ask, "What's on your needles?"
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  2:10:13 PM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
"Should I cook for the knitters?"

Amanda, is your DH available for cloning? Short-term leasing, perhaps? Training seminars? Wow!

Karen
My knitting photos: http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/karenknits/
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  2:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
It happened for me the moment I watched the second Knitting Workshop video by Elizabeth Zimmermann. It was one of those C*L*I*C*K moments. I was freed forever more from someone else's idea of Small, Medium and Large.

It was a thrilling moment for me - I've never looked back.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blueknitter999
Warming Up

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  2:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueknitter999's Homepage Send blueknitter999 a Private Message
I consider myself a knitter because, whenever I have a spare moment, that's what I do. I hope for a day when I can just knit without a pattern, or create my own patterns, but for now, I think it is my love of the process that makes me a knitter.

Check out my blog: http://berrieh.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  4:37:16 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I've considered myself a knitter since the day I overheard my mother talking to one of her friends. She told her that I didn't just knit. I picked up yarn and needles and then made something, no patterns necessary and that made me a knitter. Knitting has been a part of my life for so long that I can't imagine living without it. I feel like a knitter when I look at a photo and then sit down and knit an identical sweater. I guess what I am saying is when I no longer needed a pattern that spelled out every stitch.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  5:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I think I must've been about 12 or 13...I finally struck out on my own (less tutoring required) and made a pair of cabled over-the-knee sox that were the envy of all my friends!

Since then, I've knit almost constantly.

-- Marg (A Knitter) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

samsgrams
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  5:38:15 PM  Show Profile Send samsgrams a Private Message
I became a "knitter" when I realized that I could make it up as I knit and didn't always need to rely on a pattern for directions - and when I also wake up in the middle of the night with an idea that I just have to write down.

samsgrams
Go to Top of Page

dmp29@adelphia.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  5:47:56 PM  Show Profile Send dmp29@adelphia.net a Private Message
i began knitting at a very early age. i used to knit clothes for my barbie dolls!!!! through the years i would knit occasionally. I was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer 2 years ago. during my long recovery, i started knitting again to occupy the time and now knit constantly!!!!! i donate knitted hats and shawls and throws to roswell park cancer institute (which is where i was treated). i need to be tested every three months for cancer and i take my knitting with me for the long waits at the hospital. i also have free time at my job as an aide at a high school, so i knit then. we have also started knitting during our lunch hour!!!!! i feel that i am now officially a "knitter".
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  6:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I'm a knitter to myself, and to all the people who know me and know how much it matters to me. It's so much a part of who I am that like Fran, I can't imagine living without it. I'm also a painter, and a spinner, and I'm a weaver, even though I haven't woven in a long time. I became a knitter the minute I said, "Oh, I get it, and I can make it up/change it!"

Jane

Blog-like thing: not plain jane
Photos:jane's pages
Go to Top of Page

Roxanne
Seriously Hooked

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  6:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roxanne's Homepage Send Roxanne a Private Message
I knew I was a knitter when it became a daily activity and when I couldn't knit one day, I would plan to knit the next or the first chance I got. Nothing much gets in the way of my knitting now if I can help it.

"Success is a Journey; not a Destination"
My Blog: http://knitnpurlzen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  6:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
I think perhaps I was a knitter before I learned to knit. [:00] I know for certain I LOVED knitting before I was ever taught how to do it myself. I would sit close to grandma and mom while they were knitting and watch them endlessly.

I was taught how to spool knit when I was about four, but that, in my young mind, was not knitting [**] and I bored of it quickly. My first needles and ball of yarn were placed in my hands at about age 7. I've been knitting ever since.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at: http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/

"First is to shift the perception. If you learn to look at something differently, you will change it in an instant. The point of perception from which you view any situation determines your entire reality." - The Group
Go to Top of Page

KellyPg
Chatty Knitter

Malaysia
167 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  9:13:49 PM  Show Profile Send KellyPg a Private Message
I realized it when I started feeling something's not right if I don't knit for more than 2 days. Before that, I also dream about knitting at night and think about knitting whenever I'm not occupied during the day but can't knit. :) These things started around 5mths after my first cast-on.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  9:45:52 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
My *aha* moment came when I realized that I looked forward to the challenges that a new pattern could bring, instead of dreading them.I love the way I'm growing as a knitter, and wish my mom could see me now...
Go to Top of Page

Figgie
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  10:56:54 PM  Show Profile Send Figgie a Private Message
dmp29,
Blessings on you for giving back to the Roswell Park Cancer Institute by knitting items to comfort others. I pray that you will enjoy good health.
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I think I have known how to knit since I was a small child. However, I wasn't 'a knitter' till about 2 or 3 years ago when I found that not only was knitting 'something to do', but that I really enjoyed it, and that it was addictive.

celia

My blog is here:
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
I am destashing here:
http://celias-basket.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emilyn
Chatty Knitter

Singapore
126 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilyn's Homepage Send emilyn a Private Message
Being a knitter?

I guess I got there when I realized I couldn't get knitting out of my hands!

Emy

http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:38:21 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message
I am a cancer survivor. When I was going through treatment I would spend 4-6 days in the hospital each month for chemotherapy. It was during one of these hospital stays that I realized that I was a true knitter. I kept getting into fights with the nurses. They wanted to put needles in my hands and I wouldn't let them because I wouldn't have been able to knit. The thought of sitting in the hospital for that length of time without being able to knit seemed almost unbearable.

One of my friends recently asked me how much time I spend knitting each week. I told her approx. twenty hours. My husband told me that I needed to pay more attention to the amount of time that I spend knitting because my estimate was way too low.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?