Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Being a Knitter vs. knowing how to knit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jreiz
New Pal

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  01:38:17 AM  Show Profile Send jreiz a Private Message
Well, I guess it was after asking Mum - Do you think I can do this? - looking at a pattern for a fair-isle yoked short-sleeved cardigan, done in Kroy fingering (i.e. sock-weight), the year I was 17, and she said: Oh yes, when you get to the yoke, it will be easiest if you do it on my long circular needles - and those were the days of steel tips, with cabled wire for the join - remember them? - the ones where one strand always pulled loose? But she was right, and I never had a fear of any pattern, (or wanting to do something WITHOUT a pattern) because of the way she answered questions; it was always: Of course you can! Hmmm, come to think of it, that's the way she responded about Life Questions too! Thanks for a great topic!

Jenni in Edmonton, up too late reading Review, and digests, going to Knitting Guild on Thursday night, yippee!
Go to Top of Page

linner02128@yahoo.com

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  02:10:40 AM  Show Profile Send linner02128@yahoo.com a Private Message
This just happened to me recently. I have been knitting a long time and was a good, functional intermediate knitter. But then I bought "Knitting the Old Way" and am making my first non-pattern sweater, thinking of pattern and shaping on my own, feeling very courageous and dreaming about math calculations at night. It feels absolutely stunning.
Go to Top of Page

cldrury@ec.rr.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  05:02:09 AM  Show Profile Send cldrury@ec.rr.com a Private Message
The first thing I do when visiting a new city is open the phone book and look up the yarn shops and try to figure out how many I can visit during my stay!
Go to Top of Page

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  05:41:01 AM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message
For me it was when I quit thinking about whether I should knit that day or not, I just got the yarn out and started knitting. My knitting is the first thing I lay out when I'm preparing to travel, I look for local yarn shops wherever I go, I keep the Patterworks catalog in the bathroom (oops, should I admit that one?).

Yes, I'll admit it: My name is Nancy and I'm a knitaholic.
Go to Top of Page

zissa
Chatty Knitter

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  06:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit zissa's Homepage Send zissa a Private Message
I've known how to knit since I was a little girl, but I only became a knitter during the past year. My fear of trying new techniques (cables, socks, etc.) is gone, my apartment has stashes of yarn throughout, and I dream of knitting at night. I think the difference for me from being someone that knits to being a knitter was the understanding that I am willing to work with wool in the middle of a Chicago summer!

www.wordsandwool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hartel_m@hotmail.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  06:03:36 AM  Show Profile Send hartel_m@hotmail.com a Private Message
I became a KNITTER years ago when I realized that what was in my head (patterns, ideas, colors, etc.) was not what was in the head of other folks I knew who were knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  06:12:48 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message
For me, the epiphany was the first time I read IK. I felt like I had found my people and I vowed one day I would knit one of the patterns. I'm taking treatment for arthritis by infusion at the hospital-- one hour total. I keep trying to figure out how to knit with a tube in one arm and a blood pressure cuff on the other.
Go to Top of Page

spicema59@yahoo.com
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  06:27:07 AM  Show Profile Send spicema59@yahoo.com a Private Message
I think when I looked at a knitted vest & decided just to knit it..no instructions, just the foto...Tho having Zimmerman's books & going to knitting camp really rounded it out where I AM A KNITTER became part of me.....knittinannie
Go to Top of Page

gcelee
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  06:51:52 AM  Show Profile Send gcelee a Private Message
I'm normally a lurker, but this question really got my attention. I became a Knitter when I started teaching others - not formal classes, just helping them understand directions, correcting mistakes, how to cast on, turn on short rool heel, stuff like that. EZ's books did the most for making me comfortable with what I know, versus being tied to a pattern.

Carol in Prince George, VA
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  08:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
I've been knitting, with learning process included since late June of last year, but I think I became a knitter shortly thereafter when I put down the pattern book and started making up my own designs, albeit at this point it was hats & scarves, but I was playing around with yarn & sts from my perpetutual st a day calendar & started creating...sometimes with it; sometimes without. Then I knew I was a knitter....on a very long journey

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/knitting.gif[/IMG]

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  08:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I think I became a knitter as soon as I mastered Continental knitting and did my first gauge swatch. My instructor (for the whole 20 minutes it took me to pick it up) told me that I should be able to manage on my own from that point, and I have. Thanks to discovering EZ very early on, I've never looked at patterns as more than suggestions, and don't hesitate to change them to suit myself. After decades as a crocheter and weaver and sewer, shaping things was easy for me. I've never been really afraid of any knitting technique for very long; gloves caused me the most trepidation, and that only lasted a few months. So I suppose I've considered myself a knitter from the beginning!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ella
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  10:04:42 AM  Show Profile Send ella a Private Message
When I could comfortably switch between British and Continental knitting methods, I felt I'd taken another step forward in my journey to expand my abilities to create with knitting. I look at last year's projects (my first year of knitting), and see that my knitting is more intricate, more even and that I enjoy knitting with smaller needles and finer yarns. I love to knit. Am I knitting or am I a knitter? I dunno. I have fun with yarn!
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Sorry, I can't help it -

I'm a literalist so, although I understand what you all mean, I just can't get over the fact that a knitter is someone who knits. If you knit - whether you knit well or poorly - you're a knitter. Being a competent or even accomplished knitter is a whole other kettle of fish.

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

ecrisher
Warming Up

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  12:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ecrisher's Homepage  Send ecrisher a Yahoo! Message Send ecrisher a Private Message
I guess it was when during the times that I wasn't knitting started thinking of knitting and now I am always thinking about knitting!

~erica

When the going gets tough, the tough gets knitting!

check out my knitting at www.woodnknots.com/Knots.html
Go to Top of Page

jpatriciameyer@kpmg.com

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  1:30:57 PM  Show Profile Send jpatriciameyer@kpmg.com a Private Message
I learned to knit at 7 and have knit ever since, but I became a knitter in college, when I found out that I did not have to look at most of the complicated things I was making for myself and others. Not long after that, I began improvising on things and creating simple patterns for myself. Now, most of the patterns I create, are based on published patterns, to save the time of figuring out the most basic elements, before I go on and incorporate pattern stitches and color patterns, etc. to make it mine.
Go to Top of Page

Vivian K
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:28:42 PM  Show Profile Send Vivian K a Private Message
When I learned how to knit as a little girl, I was afraid of mistakes, "wasting yarn", being criticized for not knitting a perfect sweater. One day I picked up the needles again and said to myself "I'm knitting because I want to. I don't care what comes out of it and I don't care what others say." Now I'm a knitter.

Vivian
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
I'm not a knitter.

I'm a Maker. I make things. Be it out of yarn or bits of fabric. or ink and paints or whatever. I make it because I can. Because I have to.

Because its who I am.

Knitting is just one aspect of being a Maker.

Craftiness is Sanity
"Knitting is indeed manly. After all you spend a long time poking a rigid object through a flexible opening!" - Mokey
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  3:10:15 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I have considered myself a knitter since junior high, when I sat in front of the Lawrence Welk show knitting mittens, because that is when my grandmother knit. Then, when I was in high school, I bucked all my feminist instincts (yes, I now know that knitting has nothing to do with feminism) and thumbed my nose at everyone who thought knitting was nerdy, and knit during my senior year, making the infamous Love Sweater. It was hideous, a taupe colored acrylic yarn, and after we broke up (I gave him the sweater, he tried to give me an engagement ring, which I wouldn't take. I would spend months knitting a sweater, but wasn't ready to make a real commitment) I took a sabatical for about 30 years. I consider myself a knitter because I don't care what anyone else thinks of it, or the looks I get, I just gotta knit!

Debra
Go to Top of Page

Knitting Fever
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
548 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  3:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitting Fever's Homepage Send Knitting Fever a Private Message
I think that I became a "knitter" when I realized that I would tackle any challenge to make what I wanted to make.

Carolyn
http://carolynh.tblog.com/
Go to Top of Page

mfred52@comcast.net
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  3:39:14 PM  Show Profile Send mfred52@comcast.net a Private Message
I knew I was a Knitter, when the first thing I did after a very hard, frustrating day at work was pick up my needles. I have a pretty set routine, shoe off & head for the little girls room as soon as I drop my purse & briefcase. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when those needles were in my hand and I realized I'd been secretly waiting a good portion of the day to pick them up.

I carry a project with me nearly all the time, but my schedule at work usually doesn't allow for time to shift gears away. That particular day, I didn't know I needed my yarns so much until I had them in hand...Wow that day is as clear as a bell months afterward.

I should probably say that I've been knitting about a year and a half now, but I've crocheted since I was a little girl and as much as I love crocheting, knitting seems to have taken over my life.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?