Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Ramwool Catalog
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knittertoo
Warming Up

93 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittertoo's Homepage Send knittertoo a Private Message
I just got this in the mail a couple of days ago and hadn't had a change to go through it until last night. Let me just say that I am not a vegetarian, I eat meat (chicken, beef, fish) HOWEVER I do not condone killing innocent animals for fur - cows provide meat along with their hides. Mink, chinchilla and the like just don't sit well with me. On page 6 there is a red scarf on the model wearing the reddish/orange poncho/shawl. The decsription below reads that it is real chinchilla fur. I guess it really just suprised me, I was expecting to see a new type of "fun fur" or something like that.

Angela

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'm not a fur fan. However, leather cows and meat/dairy cows are not the same.

Fur is now an in thing again.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

nicole5012
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  1:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit nicole5012's Homepage Send nicole5012 a Private Message
I really liked the catalog, though for me the odd part was that the emphasis seemed to be on what you could make with the yarn rather than the yarn itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Canadian, knitting in the US
Go to Top of Page

BetsyK
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  3:00:24 PM  Show Profile Send BetsyK a Private Message
I got the same catelog and did not notice that. I too am not a vegetarian, but I don't like fur. It is a pure luxury item whereas leather is a by product of food.

I didn't like much in the catelog anyway, but now I will throw it away.

Betsy in Colorado
Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  5:59:21 PM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message
I did not notice that! My sis has had chinchillas for pets for years! Definitely not an item I will be buying!

"A gifted teacher is as rare as a gifted doctor, and makes far less money."
Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  03:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
I got the catalog, too, but I didn't realize it was chinchilla fur. I think I was too busy looking at the prices and realizing I couldn't afford anything in there even if I wanted something.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

honeybee33
Warming Up

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  11:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit honeybee33's Homepage Send honeybee33 a Private Message
I haven't seen it, so I probably shouldn't be commenting on it. Is it a *skin,* or a new kind of yarn that uses chinchilla fur that's spun? Cuz if it's the latter (which I think it might be, cuz I've heard of that before), I believe it's shaved or plucked, like angora rabbits. No chinchilla has to give its life for us to knit!

~ hb33 ~
Go to Top of Page

knittertoo
Warming Up

93 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  12:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittertoo's Homepage Send knittertoo a Private Message
It just said "real fur" on the description - it looked like a keyhole scarf. Like I said, to each his own but I think it is cruel to raise animals for the sole purpose of killing them for fashion.
Go to Top of Page

lakeviwa
Gabber Extraordinaire

569 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  1:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakeviwa's Homepage Send lakeviwa a Private Message
I'm thinking that for $187.50 US dollars that it is really fur and not yarn. Poor Chinchilla. They are so cute.

Tess - Timeless Endings Soar Skyward
http://autumnsnowdust.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  3:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
I just sent a message to Ramswool asking that they remove my name from their mailing list. I wrote: "I was aghast to discover an item, a scarf, in your Summer 05 catalog made of chincilla fur. While I am not a vegetarian I do not support the killing of animals for their fur and last thing I knew chinchilla does not make good eating.

Now, if this were a scarf made from yarn spun from chinchilla fur (like rabbits) that would be a different story, but as it stands now I no longer wish to receive your catalog."

I'll let the list know if I hear anything.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

Vivian K
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  09:17:12 AM  Show Profile Send Vivian K a Private Message
I got the catalog yesterday, along with Knitpick. I didn't notice the fur (of course glancing through without glasses I couldn't read most of the text), but there are quite a few sweaters that I like. They seem to have very unique designs. Has anyone ordered from them? Do they always sell kits for the sweaters?
Go to Top of Page

blueknitter999
Warming Up

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  09:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueknitter999's Homepage Send blueknitter999 a Private Message
I only noticed the stole because it was posted here. I don't think it would have caught my eye if I hadn't been looking for it. I *am* a vegetarian though, and I can safely say that I will not be ordering from RamWool. Plus, I know what you mean, nicole5012: it didn't even feel like a yarn catalog. It almost seemed as though you would be ordering a sweater, ready-made in the color-swatches (yarns) listed. It wasn't about the knitting; it was only about the finished product.

Check out my blog: http://berrieh.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  11:30:44 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blueknitter999

IPlus, I know what you mean, nicole5012: it didn't even feel like a yarn catalog. It almost seemed as though you would be ordering a sweater, ready-made in the color-swatches (yarns) listed. It wasn't about the knitting; it was only about the finished product.

Didn't realize what put me 'off' about this catalogue, but that's it! (didn't notice the chinchilla stole when I first went through it). I've had their catalogues before, but this was the first one that seemed totally 'finished product' oriented.

Anxious to hear what Ramwool says in reply to the fur question - I'll be asking that my name be removed too. Wool from animals is ok - the fur - ugh[**]
Go to Top of Page

MicheleSch
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  12:08:05 PM  Show Profile Send MicheleSch a Private Message
I have purchased kits from RamsWool and I've been very happy with them. I was disappointed with this new catalog because it highlights designer kits when, normally, they highlight their own wool and their own designs. Their own products are very affordable. As for the designer kits, they are much cheaper than the same products purchased from an American catalog, but still pretty expensive for me.

For anyone who can get over the fur issue, go to their website. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but they have a nice collection of yarns and books. Also, their own products are really nice.

Last note, please, everyone, do what you can to help our poor friends down south. They need our love and our Red Cross donations.
Michele

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.