Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 ribbing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leahpants85
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  09:09:18 AM  Show Profile Send Leahpants85 a Private Message
i've been trying to rib a scarf for my cousin, and i get so far and then i get interupted, i have to eat, go to the bathroom talk to someone blahblahblah- and then i come back, rib for two or three mroe rows and realize i completely screwed up the ribbing. i've been using stich markers to remind myself to change from knit to purl or back (because yes, i forgot) but i can't figure out a ridiculously clever little antidote. any ideas or do i just need to grow an attention span?

Leah

Will Knit For Food
..Or Hugs.

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  11:12:33 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
No, you need to learn to recognize your stitches. Knitting will always be difficult for you if you intend to go on your memory alone for which stitch comes next.

These directions will cover all basic ribbings, those that look like stripes on your sweater. Some ribbings have designs in them and they are more difficult. Some even have cables in them. Look at your knitting, not the stitch that comes next, but the stitch on the row below. If it forms a V and is smooth, it is a knit stitch and you knit the one above it. If it has a little horizontal ridge and you feel a bump when you run your finger up it, it is a purl and you purl the one above it. That hold true regardless of what you are knitting. On the row below the V is a knit, the bump is a purl. Now when you are learning your pattern stitch, learn it in the vertical (which stitch goes above which stitch) and not just in the horizontal. You will make fewer mistakes, need fewer marker, and be able to recognize when your knitting needs to be changed. For example, in some stitch patterns you will want to put a purl above a knit or a knit above a purl, but you will be able to do that because you recognize the stitch on the row below.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Leahpants85
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  6:05:40 PM  Show Profile Send Leahpants85 a Private Message
thank you:)

Leah

Will Knit For Food
..Or Hugs.
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  6:20:00 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
And just my 2 cents: Never, ever, ever, even if you just drank seventeen cups of tea and have crossed your legs three times and need to go......... you know where....... leave your knitting in the middle of the row. Ever. Or at least until you can read your knitting. This one practice has saved me so much heartache! Of course, when you are knitting a circular shawl with over 1000 stitches this is a bit more difficult :) [If you must leave your knitting, at least finish a complete pattern repeat]

My kids are so used to hearing me say this little phrase: "After I finish this row" that when they ask me to do something they start with: "when you finish that row, Mom, can you....."

pieheart
Go to Top of Page

Leahpants85
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:19:15 PM  Show Profile Send Leahpants85 a Private Message
haha pieheart i typically do that to my boyfriend, he'll be like ok are you ready? and its "after this row.." and he just looks at me like i'm insane. anybodys two cents are appreciated:) thanks!!

Leah

Will Knit For Food
..Or Hugs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by