Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How many times have you done this?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  6:23:46 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
I just spent about fifteen minutes trying to find a dpn that I was convinced was under the couch cushion. Or on the floor, or in my knitting basket (next to the couch). Search as I might, I couldn't find it! I was about to rearrange my stitches from four needles to three, knitting with the fourth (I like to knit socks with five needles) when DH asked me what I was doing. I told him, and he said: "Does it look like the one behind your ear?"

Silly me!

pieheart

llamafiber4
Chatty Knitter

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  6:56:06 PM  Show Profile Send llamafiber4 a Private Message
LOL!!! I love it. not only have I done that but I have also left it laying on the end table and not able to see it hummm.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  7:07:47 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Yup, and we have maple floors, my needles are bamboo, the lighting is so-so, can you say i n v i s i b l e ? So when the needle isn't behind my ear, I'm looking right at it on the floor!

And we won't talk about when I had longer hair and I'd twist it in back and stick the needle in it while I went to do something else, then couldn't find the needle!

pieheart
Go to Top of Page

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  7:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
How about searching and then finding it in your mouth?

Go to Top of Page

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  8:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message
When I took my sock class (I had already knit on dpns but some class members had not) we talked about using 4 vs 5 needles. Until that point, I had always thought the 5th needle was for when you lost or broke one of your needles. I prefer to knit on 4, so I guess this still holds true.

I wear fur - My cats leave it all over my clothes for me to wear.
Go to Top of Page

Bullmonty
Seriously Hooked

814 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  8:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bullmonty's Homepage Send Bullmonty a Private Message
...and I thought I was the only one!

The Maniacal Multitasker
[img][/img]
Go to Top of Page

Knitting Fever
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
548 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  9:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitting Fever's Homepage Send Knitting Fever a Private Message
My husband has tried to figure out how he can put a "leash" on my DPNS. Most of the time, if I have lost one, I have truly dropped it. But he did something mighty funny the other day. He was on his cell phone, talking to his boss, and gestured wildly to me and said, "I left my phone at home - I'm going to have to go back and get it"' When he got off, I asked him how he was able to talk to his boss without a phone!?!??!

Carolyn
http://carolynh.tblog.com/
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  9:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
You were lucky. I start to suspect there is a black hole in my apartment. So far, I have lost one DPN, a cable needle, a row counter and a pair of Denise US5 needles! I have moved all the furniture and still can't find them. Recently, the black hole seemed to have extended to the kitchen ... I was opening a bottle of olive oil and a slip of the finger the bottle cap dropped to the ground. I swear I followed the direction where it was going immediately, but I couldn't find it! So, you were really lucky.

[img]http://photos3.flickr.com/6944418_c76df65d6c_m.jpg[/img]
Knitting in the Valley My Kitty Album
Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
-Flavius Josephus
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  9:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I also do that. However, I think my worst time was long before I knit. I was 10 years old. I always wore my watch on my right wrist, depsite being right handed. Someone pointed out that I should probably have it on my left, and it made sense (the reasoning is that I would be holding something hot to drink in my right hand and want to know the time and end up with a nasty spill, which made sense as I am useless with my left). So, I tried putting my watch on my left and promptly lost it. I had my mom and two sisters searching our apartment for it for about a half hour. The reason I knew it had been a half hour is that I looked at my watch on my left hand. Kinda sad that none of us was able to notice it.
Then there is the time I could not find some money I could have sworn I had only moments before. Turns out I had set it down when I was getting something out of the freezer. Yes, I put my money in the freezer. I guess it was probably pretty safe there anyway.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

If you don't know what you are missing, are you really missing it?
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  05:22:48 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Agnes, I wonder if my resident ghost,"Jenny" was visiting you? Those are some of the things she would do here ,just to let me know she is still around, KL
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  05:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
LOL...I do this all the time....even last night I was laying in bed knitting a sock on 5 DPN...watching tv...went down stairs to get a glass of water and when I came back upstairs...sure enough 5th needle was nowhere to be found. After tearing apart the bed....then retracing my steps downstairs (no less then 3 times)...NO LUCK. I went back to bed to just give up...went to take my hair clip out of my hair and my hand hit the needle...resting right there behind my right ear.... I couldn't stop laughing...not because it was there...but because I do this ALL the time...You would think I would learn to look there first!
~Wendy

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  06:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
It's a good job I live in a cosmopolitan city because the amount of times I've left the house with my pink aluminium dpn behind my ear I'm sure my neighbours think I've got a rather extreme piercing.

'What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?' Elvis Costello
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  07:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I've decided that I'm channeling my grandmother. She used to have us looking all over the house and yard for her glasses, which were almost always perched on top of her head, with the earpieces through her bun. I do that with my dpns - I'm always tearing the place apart looking for one that's right behind my ear! My DH always laughs - he says knitting needles are the only things I ever lose, and they're never really lost!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  08:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
I've slipped dpns and straights into my pony tail and wandered about looking for them. I've also asked where my glasses were and they were on my head!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  08:22:51 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
My mother used to do a lot of crewelwork and needlepoint in the 70's. Those lovely fashions, remember those pull-on pants with the seam down the front of the leg? She used to slip extra needles through the raised seam, then frantically look for a "dropped" needle all over the house! Guess I get it honestly. =)

pieheart, who just slipped the extra dpn behind her ear so she could type this
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  12:37:44 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
One of my dpns always falls between the seat cushions of our love seat and my poor husband has to get down on the floor and fish it out (I have a bad back). After the umpteenth time last night, I made a little swatch of tightly knitted stitches and hung it around my neck. Now I'm training myself to thread the extra one into the swatch instead of laying it down somewhere. It's big enough to hold all five if need be and so far no lost needles.
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  2:04:28 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Haven't done this with my dpn's, but have done it with my straight needles.Pushed one into the bun on my head & forgot where I put it....[crazy] DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  2:22:10 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
This thread is such a crack up![:00][:00]

KnitsWithColors, yes, since I've cut my long hair rather short, I've done that search for the needle while it was in my mouth thing. Before then it was stuck up in my hair.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  6:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blwinteler

Yes, I put my money in the freezer.
Take care!
Brandy

Gee, Brandy, I don't think that's what is meant by the phrase "cold hard cash." [:00]

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by