Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Storing Needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnitThis
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  11:03:07 AM  Show Profile Send KnitThis a Private Message
I have a small stash of straight needles. I've looked at needle bags in stores but none seem to fit my longer or fatter needles. Any ideas?

erica_hickey
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  11:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit erica_hickey's Homepage Send erica_hickey a Private Message
I have an artbin hook and needle case http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82324&PRODID=80811&source=search It works great for most 14 in. straight needles US13 or smaller. It didn't fit my brittany birch needles though. Other than that, I've been thinking about making myself a needle roll, but I haven't yet.
EH

my blog: http://knitpics.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnitThis
New Pal

46 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  11:36:12 AM  Show Profile Send KnitThis a Private Message
You're so sweet to answer a second post for me! :) I haven't been able to find a roll that takes the larger needles, which I use. I thought of making my own as well. There is a pattern in SNB that can be altered to fit differences sizes. Aren't the needles relatively low maintenance?
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  12:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I don't use my longer needles much and I don't usually carry them with me either like I would with my DP's and Circulars. My solution has been to arrange my long straight needles in a pretty pottery vase. They look nice and I always know where they are safe and sound on top of my bookcase.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  2:33:55 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I too store my straight needles in a pretty basket. However, I did buy a large tube - think it was for gifting wine - at Michaels. It is tall enough to hold the longer needles and has a lid on it. Works very well.
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  01:27:41 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
I have my straights in a tall round box with a lid that *jaw* talked about earlier.

They work great!

You can get 'em at AC Moore & Michael's.
You can also get something similar at Wal-Mart.

Good luck.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  04:48:16 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
I had them in an open basket, but they were always dusty (I'm a bad housekeeper but a good knitter). I have a lot of needles, having inherited my mother's and aunt's when they stopped knitting due to arthritis. I just bought some nice cardboard storage boxes from Ikea in a pretty shade of candy pink; the needles are in one of them, so now they'll stay clean. One box is empty because I intended it for my notions (yarn holders, stitch markers and such) but realized I need them close to me in an open bin when I knit, and the only place for the boxes is way up on top of a tall bookcase. I'll think of something. I also got a magazine holder in the same color, since I've started buying Vogue Knitting again (after recently making a sweater in an 1985 edition).
Go to Top of Page

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  06:59:51 AM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message
I have 3 different methods of storing my needles.

My straight single points are stored in a rolled fabric needle case I made. I didn't have a pattern, just looked at pictures, then laid my needles out to see how wide and tall it needed to be and made it. Mine's big enough to hold my tall brittanys and wide enough to hold all my single points.

My circulars are stored in a bait bag I bought at a sporting goods store. It has the zipper bags are are 2 to a page and works perfectly to hold my needles.

My double points are just rubber banded together and thrown into a tupperware container.

I'd love to be able to leave them out in a pretty basket but we live in our RV full-time so I don't have a lot of display space so have to keep them stored away.
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  7:09:49 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
I put my single points in a glass vase, a la Knitty.com It would look better if I took the bamboo needles out of their plastic cases (the ones they came in), but it's a pain to try to match them up when I need them. But the vase keeps them in one spot, and they don't take up much space. My son liked it so much that he asked me for a vase to store his extra drumsticks in! ----Now if only he would use it.... ;)

I store my double points in zippered pencil holders that I store in a large three-ring binder. My circulars are stored in their original packaging standing up in a shoe box that is the same width as the plastic package. I use dividers for the different lengths of the cables.

pieheart

Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

knitnerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  7:38:47 PM  Show Profile Send knitnerd a Private Message
Don't put rubber bands on needles. They will rot and leave gunk that is difficult to remove. Buy an odd ball of a wool or cotton tubular ribbon yarn. Cut it into 6 inch lengths. Slide the needles inside. You will be surprised how much the tube stretches and it will not leave marks on the needles.
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  8:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
I found a canvas paint brush roll at AC Moore for $5 and it came with 18 artists brushes. It fits my 14" needles just fine. The brushes will be used around the house for molding paint touch ups. Win-win.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 11, WIP: 1
trek's blog

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

rainyrivergirl
Chatty Knitter

Canada
212 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  06:42:53 AM  Show Profile Send rainyrivergirl a Private Message
I have circular needles in ziploc bags, but I wanted to see my straight needles. Since I am lucky enough to have some space I got a huge glass vase that I saw on sale and put all straight needles in it. The vase is on top of my bookcase and well out of reach...my dog likes to explore..
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  08:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
An easy and very cheap needle roll can be quickly sewn up with just one quilted placemat and a scrap of canvas or other sturdy fabric. On mine I cut a wedge shaped piece (could be rectangular though) of canvas and hemmed under the edges. Then pin the wedge to the centre of the placemat, with long axes one over the other. Machine stitch the two outer short edges and then stitch parallel vertical lines all the way across. I didn't actually plan or measure the distance between the stitching lines. If you have an assortment of needles, there will be a home for all of them. And with another scrap of the canvas make a long tie and tack it to one side edge. Then you can roll, starting from the edge without the tie, and wrap it in a snug knot. I find the canvas needs only one simple knot and it stays very tight. I use the role mostly for my traditional single point needles.

For my double pointed needles I have a plastic fishing tackle box. It resembles a rectangular lunch pail box, but has a lid on the top and the bottom. Inside, the compartment dividers are such that I can just leave long "horizontal" compartments. In them I have the needles more or less by size. Most are still in their plastic cases or poked through the cardboard they came on. That way you still see the size and don't have to measure before swatching.

The circular needles are still in their original pouches, and all live in one larger Ziploc bag. Works okay for me.
Arctic mermaid
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  08:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message
I suggest going to your local beauty supply store and checking out the curling iron roll-ups.

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AJ
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  09:25:18 AM  Show Profile Send AJ a Private Message
I store my needles in a variety of ways also.

My long straight needles are in a glass vase that used to have a betta fish in it and a plant growing out of the top.

My shorter straights are in a wicker-like vase.

I made 4 circular organizers from the Stitch N beach book and have the them organized by size and length.

Finally, my double points are in my old Caboodles (If you don't know what a Caboodles is, think fishing tacklebox meets 80s junior high makeup kit!). In fact I use that for all of my knitting tools.

I really am wanting to buy the double point roll up case from Herrschners. I have tried sewing one...but I don't like how it was turning out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe