Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Why do you knit lace?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nwilson02
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile Send nwilson02 a Private Message
I'm just curious, as a fairly new lace knitter, what drives you to knit lace? I'm loving the challenges involved, there's no time to get bored (just frustrated). The pattern is constantly changing so you have to be aware of what you're doing and what's going on. The downside is that I tried going back to an easy pattern for another project and got bored. Horror.

I am interested, though, in what drives you "veteran" lace knitters. Any tidbits of wisdom for us knewbies?

Nancy

MMario
Permanent Resident

2211 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  08:11:18 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Not sure if I count as a "veteran" - but I have always been drawn to the inticate patterns lace makes - and being able to create some...is a rush.

Some lace pieces can be just as boring as garter stitch - but the overall projects tend to be more "exciting" - or at least more impressive.

For me - watching the pattern grow out of the stitches is the ultimate reward.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  08:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
When it's finished I just keep looking at it, not believing that I actually made it with the same materials as could have made a garter stitch scarf. I also love the process, the committment and patience required, the finished product, and the attention the item always gets when worn.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

SurfinSandy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  10:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurfinSandy's Homepage Send SurfinSandy a Private Message
All of the above.
I like the challenge, the variety...it's far from boring (to do or to look at). I can't go back to garter stitch scarves again! No Way!
There are so many variations, lace patterns, just gotta try 'em all!
all of that and the end result is ALWAYS worth it! You transform plain ole yarn into some just spectacular! (Ok not all yarn is 'plain ole' but you know what I mean?)
I started knitting lace this year.

Surfin'Sandy

No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  1:20:12 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
I'm a relatively new lace knitter, but I jumped in with both feet and will never turn back. It's hard to describe the weird thrill I get every time I cross off a row of a chart. All the counting is just relaxing. And I really dislike seaming anything. So socks and lace are all I'll knit nowadays. I keep buying yarn and starting sweaters, but then I get quickly bored with them, the thought of putting them together sends shivers up my spine, and I'm back to my complicated lace charts. It's knitting bliss for me. I just ordered a ton of cobweb weight lace for a shawl. Could take me the better part of a year to knit it, but I can't wait to get started!

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

letti
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  1:54:25 PM  Show Profile Send letti a Private Message
I remember my grandmother knitting lovely lace diaper shirts for her grandchildren; my sister knitting diaper shirts for her son; my aunt knitting them for her grandchildren, when I was a child growing up in the Caribbean. The intricate pattern, the counting, and the "don't move my knitting" was part of my knitting experience. This left me with a great love for knitting lace. I started lace knitting some 10 years and have never been bored with it.
I enjoy the challenge, the frustration and the reward. I always knit something simple after a difficult lace pattern.

Letti

"Anybody is liable to fall off a tightrope in any land, I thought, and God help you if you fall the wrong way."
Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  2:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
Like GFTC, I love the way it looks. I have to stop every few rows just to admire "my" work! I have a habit of changing the directions on most patterns, including my present project, and get such a kick out of how much better I think it looks, than the original! Lace is my soothing project. The beauty and comfort of lace just seems to float around me.

I also love cables, fair aisle and kniting in general so who knows, I guess I JUST LOVE KNITTING!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  4:33:53 PM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Knitting lace keeps me from being bored. Itmakes me work my mind and not become lazy!

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  5:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
Any suggestions for a 'first time' lace project?

Jane

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  5:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I like lace, I like socks, I like cableing..... I like color knitting
lace is great cause it looks like a wrinkled heap and then you block it......
MAGIC!!!
it becomes......... something amazing.
hahahahaha
plus it is really the best thing to knit on a really tight budject......
one skein goes on forever..... 14.00 for 1300 yards......
and it takes a while to knit up....
so you have a blast for a while
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Overthere
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  6:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Overthere's Homepage Send Overthere a Private Message
lol.I can't force myself to finish a garter scarf...too boring and unexciting. But lace? I HAVE to finish the repeat, and then one more. Well, maybe one more before I put it down...

I please myself when I can go without the pattern after doing it a couple of times.

I love the yardage and the fact that I'm literally knitting with thread.

A lot of people knit, but I think it's the minority that knit lace.

yo's and k2tog are my favorite stitches.

The project is so LIGHT, it's like knitting clouds. Or thoughts. Or dreams.

Diana

This, then that.
Yarn is good.
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  02:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
I am a perfectionist of the neurotic sort who won't do a thing if they don't think they can do it perfectly. As you can imagine, this has rather held me back in life. But I started knitting lace. And for some reason, with lace, I am prepared to spend hours and hours ripping out and redoing sections, trying things out, making mistakes and learning that the world does not fall on my head when I make a mistake and I can learn from it and set it right. It has been the most wonderful therapy. And at the end of it, I have beautiful things to impress people with! (me most of all!)
Go to Top of Page

HellaHelen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  09:08:35 AM  Show Profile Send HellaHelen a Private Message
Lace is an addiction for me. I love the challenge and the wonder of it all. I love that it is economical. I love that it impresses the pants off everyone (my inner show-off is showing!). And I love that I don't need to worry about gauge most of the time--what, the shawl's not going to fit?? And while I don't hate seaming as much as some, it doesn't hurt that most lace projects don't involve any sewing.

I'm usually a one-project-at-a-time gal, but I do like to have an easy project as a companion to my lace knitting--I need something to knit while I'm watching TV or reading, at which times simple stockinette, garter, or ribbing are in order.

Cheers,
Helen
Go to Top of Page

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  10:11:28 AM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message
I would never have bothered to learn to knit had it not been for an obsession with lace. The creation of diaphanous, intricate and suprisingly warm fabric is, in and of itself, sufficient reason to get up in the morning. The necessary drudgeries of daily life slip gently into the background.

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  5:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
At first it was the challenge, then the constant changing variety, now it is the knowledge that the finished object is so light it floats on the barest puff of a breeze! I just finished the Peacock Feathers Shawl and I am IN LOVE with LACE! Several photos of the finished shawl are on the September 15 entry of my blog. Come by and visit me?

-Marlene-
Come visit me at: http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/

"First is to shift the perception. If you learn to look at something differently, you will change it in an instant. The point of perception from which you view any situation determines your entire reality." - The Group
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  8:32:27 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Vi, I look like a wrinkled heap, should we try blocking me?

I knit lace because I love the balance it provides between the logical, pattern-loving part of me and the artistic, make-something-beautiful part of me. I love showing off. (Yes, the lace, silly, what did you think?) And I love that when I knit lace I feel a very strong historical connection to thousands of other women, knitting clouds and dreams to wrap themselves and their loved ones in and to bring a little beauty into an otherwise humdrum life.

Lin

"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  8:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
If you look carefully, you'll notice a great symmetry to most lace patterns. For me, lace knitting is an orderly, calming process -- very enjoyable!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  10:20:25 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I knit it because I like the end result. I work with numbers all day, and lace knitting allows me to use numbes in a creative instead of fiscal manner.

I am always fascinated at how people with no education managed to create and remember such intricate and comlicated mathematical formulas as presented in traditional lace knitting.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

cnlknitr
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  10:21:09 PM  Show Profile Send cnlknitr a Private Message
I'm not sure this is 'on topic' but it certainly brought this to mind. I’m wondering why I want to knit lace… I've knit lots of lace edgings but decided to plunge in, (what I thought was the shallow end of the pool,) and started a ‘pie are square’ shawl by EZ in a lace weight yarn size 9 needle. I had only a couple rows to go of boring garter stitch before starting the lace edging when my yarn caught on my zipper and I pulled out a 3 feet snag. Yes, I could work it all back (maybe)…. But if every time it’s worn that risk is run…. Why bother with all those hours and hours of work??? I’m frogging.[:((]
And the next shawl I start will be with much smaller needles……… later.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  03:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Busyhands

Vi, I look like a wrinkled heap, should we try blocking me?
Lin

yes darlink.....
gimme the wires and we will stretch you all out to THERE......
of course then you will be thin....... from front to back but all spread out from side to side.......
hmmm
I assume this is a look you wanted?
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  05:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I love to knit lace for many of the same reasons others have posted. The seductive symmetry, the mathematical beauty, the artistic beauty...

I'm not always looking for a lace "challenge" either. I'll never run out of lace patterns to try, and I'll never grow tired of the soothing act of knitting something as simple as feather and fan.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by