Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Why do you knit lace?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  05:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I just love the look of lace - I always have. I suppose my grandmother infected me, since she also loved lacy things - both having them around and making them. I've crocheted lace, tatted lace, woven lace fabrics on floor looms and with bobbins on pillows, and knit lace. I've never really analyzed why I love lace; I just do. And I especially love making my own lace. Of course there are boring bits (there are boring bits involved in everything in life), but I love the challenge and am fascinated by watching the design grow beneath my hands.

Oh, and I don't make it because I wear it all the time. I'm vertically-challenged, middle-aged and fluffy, and don't choose to resemble an ambulatory lace pillow. But you can put lace on underclothes, wear lacey blouse fabrics and sweaters, cuddle up in a beautiful lacy shawl, enjoy lace pieces framed on the wall (or occupying open space on your desk), and enjoy warm knitted lace socks without providing (much of) a source of amusement to friends, family and co-workers.

Tidbits of wisdom? My best bits of advice are to choose only pieces you love the look of, make large swatches and use lots of markers - certainly nothing new, but still the best advice I can give!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

debsign@aol.com

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  06:04:06 AM  Show Profile Send debsign@aol.com a Private Message
well I like the challenge of lace knitting and it stops me getting borad, I get that sometimes when I do stocking stitch!
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  06:54:12 AM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
I knit lace for many of the same reasons listed above; it's challenging, it's interesting, the end result is beautiful. Becauseof the concentration required while knitting lace, it is also meditative. I find myself calming down and relaxing when I am knitting lace. And i love wearing my shawls.

My 9 year old granddaughter saw my shawls and asked me to make her one. So for Christmas she gets a small lace shawl. Everyone should have a beautiful lace shawl to wrap up in.

I also have a non-lace knitting project going so that I have something to carry with me when I go to meeting, appointments, etc.

Like others who replied to this topic, I just love knitting lace.
Nell
Go to Top of Page

cannd
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  07:09:54 AM  Show Profile Send cannd a Private Message
I like the challenge, and usually the fit of a lace sweater or shawl. The feel of the yarn doesn't hurt either. After a lace project, especially on tiny needles, I am ready to do a large needle, simple pattern or two. That gets me ready for my next lace project! Diane

Diane Cannizzaro
Go to Top of Page

rnlongshaw@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  09:14:22 AM  Show Profile Send rnlongshaw@yahoo.com a Private Message
Like some (many?) other knitters here, I hate seaming -- but I still knit lots of sweaters, as well as lace. My secret? When I find a pattern I like, if it's not already written for circular needles, I just rewrite it, and off I go. Yes, it's a challenge to "think backwards" about the wrong-side rows, but I always manage to pull it off. And of course, there are lots of beautiful patterns for ganseys, fair isles and lopis out there to keep me busy for years. It does mean that I don't knit intarsia, but I don't want a big ol' begonia on my rather substantial bosom anyway. Bleh.

If you're interested in learning more about circular knitting, get hold of a copy of Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' "Knitting in the Old Way." Nothing flat going on there!

And as for lace, I love looking through old pattern books and re-interpreting the patterns in different types of yarn. So a tablecloth or curtain pattern written for size 0 needles and pearl cotton can become a lovely alpaca lace shawl on size 9's! (BTW, be sure to have a gander at the Knit Picks website for some really gorgeous lace-weight alpaca -- or Handpainted Yarns and Morehouse Farm websites for beautiful multicolor merino lace weight. Too bad I have bills to pay -- I could spend my whole paycheck at these three websites alone!
Go to Top of Page

susansocker
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  12:03:47 PM  Show Profile Send susansocker a Private Message
I mostly knit lace scarves. I love the way a simple yarn over and a decrease can create space in which such beautiful designs appear. It is a marvel. And the drape. There is nothing like the drape of a lace knitted item.
susan

Susan
Go to Top of Page

julime17@yahoo.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  2:30:51 PM  Show Profile Send julime17@yahoo.com a Private Message
I've been knitting lace for about 20 years (on and off- stopping after each child was born) and I really honed my skills while knitting lace baby blankets. Not the most practical- they can snag easily- but so beautiful and easy once you get the pattern down. Very little shaping involved- just on the borders.

I also love the meditative and symmetrical aspect of knitting lace. After awhile you know how K2tog or SSK will look, so you intuitively know which to do.

I just knit a lace shawl (Faroese-style lace by Myrna Stahman in The Best of Knitter's Shawls and Scarves) while on a long driving trip. Done on circular needles (it's not a circular shawl), it was easily portable (yes, I was the one knitting at Legoland!) and kept me occupied when my husband was driving. Although I love knitting fair isle and cables, this was easier to take on a trip- no extra colors or cable needles.
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  3:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I'm very obsessive-compulsive about life in general, and lace knitting allows me to channel that weird OCD energy into something productive, beautiful, calming and fulfilling.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

cheriem
Chatty Knitter

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  11:38:18 AM  Show Profile Send cheriem a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wovenflame

At first it was the challenge, then the constant changing variety, now it is the knowledge that the finished object is so light it floats on the barest puff of a breeze! I just finished the Peacock Feathers Shawl and I am IN LOVE with LACE! Several photos of the finished shawl are on the September 15 entry of my blog. Come by and visit me?

-Marlene-
Come visit me at: http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/

"First is to shift the perception. If you learn to look at something differently, you will change it in an instant. The point of perception from which you view any situation determines your entire reality." - The Group

cheriem
"I dunno, I'm makin' this up as I go along." Indiana Jones
Go to Top of Page

cheriem
Chatty Knitter

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  11:43:03 AM  Show Profile Send cheriem a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by cheriem

[quote]Originally posted by Wovenflame

At first it was the challenge, then the constant changing variety, now it is the knowledge that the finished object is so light it floats on the barest puff of a breeze! I just finished the Peacock Feathers Shawl and I am IN LOVE with LACE! Several photos of the finished shawl are on the September 15 entry of my blog. Come by and visit me?

-Marlene-
[i] Come visit me at: http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/

Marlene, if anyone is wondering about the why of lace knitting, all they have to do is look at your Peacock shawl. Case Closed. I have been looking at the Spanish Peacock shawl in the back of the Gathering of Lace book, and wondering if I could do something like it. Seeing your beatiful shawl gives me the idea of incorporating the peacock feather pattern in your shawl with the feather and fan version. Once again I am inspired by you lovely lace knitting people.
cheriem

cheriem
Go to Top of Page

K8
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  12:24:26 PM  Show Profile Send K8 a Private Message
I'm coming out of "lurk" mode because of this topic! I have two lace shawl patterns that are beautiful: Pacific Northwest and Snow Forest. I even bought the yarn for one of them but have been too nervous to start. Seeing this forum topic has inspired me to get on with it! (just as soon as I finish 10 kindergarten aprons for my grandson's class.)
K8
Go to Top of Page

txtapdancer
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  4:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit txtapdancer's Homepage Send txtapdancer a Private Message
I'm going to attempt lace because it will make a beautiful gift. I expect it will be as fun for the recipient to receive as it is for me to make.

--Julia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.