Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Yardage
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  9:35:55 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I'm anxious to try my hand at lace knitting and have several books with beautiful patterns, but most of them specifiy "X" number of hanks and I can't figure out how much yardage is in a hank. I actually have some cobweb lace yarn in hanks (about the size of my thumb), but I'm not sure if the hanks are compatible with those referenced in the patterns - would hate to be 3/4 finished only to run out. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635

ccarter756
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  9:49:06 PM  Show Profile Send ccarter756 a Private Message
I hate it when that happens.

Well, try doing a search for the name of the yarn online. The description of the yarn may contain the yardage, and then you can do the math to come up with the amount of yarn required.

Cindy Carter
Go to Top of Page

Janknit
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  05:11:09 AM  Show Profile Send Janknit a Private Message
Dicksie,

After a while you'll start to get an idea of how much yardage you'll probably need for say a square shawl as opposed to a trainular one, etc.. I know that in the Gladys Amedro book she only states the number of hanks but I've found out that (at least with shetland lace, the yarn is usually J&S 2 ply which used to come in hanks that were about 250 yards but now are smaller so you have to get an extra one or two to compensate).

I figure that if you can find a similar pattern elsewhere you can kind of gauge the yardage needed by comparing to that pattern and maybe getting a bit more to be sure.

By the way, I've seen some of your beautiful cabled sweaters and I can't wait to see your lace. It'll be gorgeous, I'm sure!
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  06:02:11 AM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
The J&S shetland lace weight now has 185 yds per 25 gr ball. They used to be 1 oz. The J&S cobweb has 379 yds per 25gm. That too used to be 1oz.

Schoolhouse Press says you need 10 - 12 of lace weight for a 60" square shawl & 3 - 4 of cobweb. That does fit with the patterns I've got.

KS
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  08:01:26 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Thank you all for your quick responses - I'll see what I can find out. I bought the yarn at least 10 years ago from Patternworks and it has been languishing in my cedar closet ever since (except when I take it out to admire/obsess over it). I've been looking at the Gibbie Shawl, which I think is in Gladys Amedro's book, although I really like the Helen Carter in Gathering of Lace (probabaly both a little ambitious for a novice lace knitter!), but as soon as I finish a couple of things I'll have the whole winter ahead of me, not to mention a cadre of experienced lace knitters to hold my hand!
Dicksie

Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  3:51:57 PM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Dicksie, I've visited your knitting gallery and I know after seeing your drop dead gorgeous sweaters that you'll have no problem knitting lace. Anyone who can knit such intricate fair isle can knit lace. Happy knitting!

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  7:04:54 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
The trick with any new st. is to swatch it. I find that just about any new st. pattern I do requires at least 3 attempst before I 'get' it. Now that I know this, I don't get upset about it any more.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  2:11:14 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Finally found the original invoice for my cobweb lace yarn - it has 500 yd. per hank. The Woodland Woolworks catalog shows the Black Brora shawl requires 2,000 yds or 8 hanks - I have 6, so I'm in good shape. The Gibbie takes a little less. Now I need to get this Mountain Colors sweater finished and I'm ready to begin. Thanks for all your encouragement - I'm sure I'll be calling on you. Before I forget, I have full sets of the original Balenes - straights, DPs and circs - do you recommend them for lace?

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  4:02:41 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I haven't used them myself, but I've read a lot of rave reviews here about the lovely point tip (so nice for the ktog's).

Can't wait to start seeing some pics.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  6:52:21 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
The Balene's work well for most lace patterns. The tip is just slightly thicker so there may be a problem when you do multiple knit togethers. Like k3 tog and k4 tog.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.