Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Bird leg bands as stitch markers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  06:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
A YahooGroup to which I belong had a posting by a member about these bird leg bands which she uses as stitch markers for her knitting. They run about $4 for 100 - which is much cheaper than any I have seen locally. Also, they come in assorted sizes and colors. They are made of plastic and will not scratch metal needles. I just ordered 100 of the 1/4" (inner diameter) and 100 of the 5/16" for my knitting group. They should arrive later this week. The person at the place also just called me to confirm that the shipping isn't what the web site said it was. Their web site is configured to calculate UPS rates. For a small order like a couple of boxes of leg bands, they use First Class (~$2) or Priority Mail (~$4-$5).

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 11, WIP: 1
trek's blog

"As for me and my house..."

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  07:11:09 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I belong to that group, too, and have been amusing myself with the thought of heading down to the farm supply place and looking for those...I bet the look on the overall-clad owner's face will be great when I tell him what I want them for!
Lin

"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

mdpowersmt@gmail.com

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  8:42:02 PM  Show Profile Send mdpowersmt@gmail.com a Private Message
For a couple of years now I have had one of those clear plastic over-the-door shoe holders. I've labeled the pockets and have all my circulars and DPNs in their separate places. If I need a DPN sizes 0 - 3, they're in one pocket. I put 16" circulars for those sizes in the next pocket, then 24" and larger for those sizes in the third pocket. Of course, you can organize them any way you want. The shoe holder I bought has 24 shoe sized pockets and cost me $6. I have lots of knitting doo-dads in the pockets without needles. It works great!
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  03:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I actually have some bands left somewhere around here from when i bred finches and canaries....
( the canaries were a disappointment however sniff)

but yea bird band would work great.....
and they even have color coding and numbers on them

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Hickey007
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  07:28:16 AM  Show Profile Send Hickey007 a Private Message
I have recently used pony tail holders for stitch markers. I use the small ones that are cloth or those ouchless ones that are clear plastic. They've worked great so far. They are pretty cheap as well. I originally bought them for my yorkie now I use them for her and my knitting.

- Courtney
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  09:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Bird bands are nice, as are those elastics they use for braces... works best for small needles and/or ultra fine yarns.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  8:03:56 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message
mdp, that's a great idea.

I got some rubber stitch markers from Knitpicks, and they're not as "jumpy" as the plastic ones. So far, I haven't lost any. (Crosses fingers.) they also work beautifully to hold my sets of dp's together.
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  1:31:54 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
I got the birdbands at my local Feed & Seed store for 2c and 3cents each It is called DeYoungs, a great place for those in the area of Woodinville WA.

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?