Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Talk about shops profiled in Knitter's Review
 Patternworks 2003 catalog
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  04:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Waiting in my mailbox - yep the new catalog.

And it seems pretty nice. They've added Patons wools, for which I am glad. Still have lots of Koigu colors. the photos of the patterns and kits are bigger so you get a good view of the designs. I haven't done a comparison of this catalog to the last N.Y. catalog, but it seems okay to me -I always expect change from year to year - deletions and additions - and this catalog has it.

My real concern is the service one is likely to get. I called a few weeks ago, worked with a very friendly nice salesperson, but I ordered Nature Spun - and I was shipped AND billed for Lambs Pride. Since this was an order for a selection of colors for my beginner class - which was about to begin - I didn't have time to send the stuff back. And it added a dollar per student to the cost of the supplies I provide each new student. Not an ammount to break the bank, but daggonit - that is NOT what I ordered.

I already now not to bother with backordered items. In fact, I make sure what I am ordering from them is IN STOCK. sigh. well. It takes time for staff to learn the stock in a big shop, but I hope this does occur eventually.

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  06:25:23 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
Bess, I was just about to post a question about this! I got my catalog, too, and there are a few tempting items in it. But I have read so much negative feedback in these forums about Patternworks. Your negative experience was so recent, too.

I may just order something small, and in stock, to test the waters. I have been wanting that Knitter's Little Helper and the udder balm. And maybe enough Cascade Fixation for ONE pair of socks.

Has anyone looked at that very basic sock book? The one that provides a variety of heels, toes, etc? It's called SOCKS: CUFFS, HEELS, GUSSETS AND TOES by M. Joan Davis. I was thinking of getting that, too.

Carin

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  06:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Thanks for the warnings about Patternworks. I have their catalogue too (drool), but as the exchange rate is so high between Canada and the US, if the service is iffy, I won't risk an order. The good thing about the book for me, though, is that it shows me what's out there, and I can look for Canadian suppliers!

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  06:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I received the catalogue yesterday, and since my husband was away I spent the evening with it and a nice pot of Lady Grey tea - yarn and tea, the perfect combination! And I agree that it is a beautiful catalogue, the pictures are great and there is a wide variety.

But.... for much of the yarns that are not high-end, the prices are 8-10% higher than I would pay in a shop in NY, where we are not known for low yarn prices. An example - the Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille was $6.50, I buy it for $5.95. So, even if the service was great and there were no shipping charges, I'd still be paying more than my LYS. Also, I know there are more reasonable places on-line to buy the Patons yarns, and even better if I order from Smiley's or Canada.

Well, it was a great time reading about all of the great yarns out in the catalogue, but I'll save my money and use it at other places.

I still miss the Patternworks store in Wappingers Falls!

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  12:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I've decided that the Patternworks catalog is just a big wish book for me, to help me decide on what to order from the on line merchants I trust and/or my LYS. It IS a great catalog -too bad it isn't backed up by quality service and reliability.

Luann
Go to Top of Page

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  1:23:09 PM  Show Profile Send digknit a Private Message
I got the new catalog yesterday too and found a number of tempting things in there. I succumbed this morning and ordered a pattern book. They said that it's in stock, but I'll report back when it actually gets here. The yarn for one of the patterns I ended up ordering from one of the canadian retailers, who had it for $1.25 a ball less than Patternworks' price, so I might come back with a rave for them, too.

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  3:14:20 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I think it is too bad that Patternworks has fallen into disrepute. I love to look at the catalog...but I will always check other providers for price and shipping etc. I have no good lys so I don't feel that I am hurting the local dealers. There is always a good deal and good service someplace on the internet.

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  4:42:44 PM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
Well, I succcumbed, too, and just ordered what I thought I would. I was told Knitter's Helper is backordered, as was the udder stuff (as opposed to the other stuff) and that my Fixation and the books I wanted would be here in 5 to (was it 7 or 10?) business days.

I, too, shall report back.

Carin

Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  8:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
Hi Bess

I have been ordering Patons from Beehivewool.com

Their turnaround time is fantastic and they are very friendly. Not sure how the prices compare to Patternworks as I haven't received the new catalog yet.
I have never ordered from Patternworks either as I have heard too many negatives.

Happy knitting.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2003 :  9:27:04 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, PQpatch: I too order a lot from Beehive and have found the turn around tremendous but then I am in San Francisco which is only about 500 miles or so down the road from Victoria. Haven't gotten my Patternworks catalogue yet but the month is still young. The last time I ordered from them they actually told me that whatever it was (can't remember now) was on back order and expected in on some date which really isn't important but for the fact that on that date I received an E-mail that it was shipped that day. Perhaps Patternworks got the word. I am the person who started the thread about their service or lack thereof and if they didn't get the word from us perhaps some place else or they just finally got their act together. That could be the case. Mergers or whatever they are called aren't always smooth as glass. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Bev
Go to Top of Page

tyrone
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2003 :  8:31:13 PM  Show Profile Send tyrone a Private Message
I have ordered from them since they were taken over, and the service was friendly and fairly prompt. I ordered a ballwinder, a few patterns and some Koigu. The patterns were on backorder, but it didn't take them very long to get here.....I still really really miss going to the shop though!!!!!!!!

I liked the new catalog, it seems that the pictures of the Koigu especially were of a higher quality, they seemed more clear than in previous issues (I doubt that my eyesight has improved, hehe, so it must be the photography that is improving!!!!!)

Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  12:55:50 PM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
I just wanted to report back on my Patternworks order. I was very pleased. I placed an order on 2/11 for two balls of Cascade Fixation, two books, and some hand creams. I was up told up front that the creams were backordered. I received the rest today, 2/15. I think that's pretty great. Everything was packaged nicely, too.

I have dates for the backordered stuff. I will let you know if Patternworks holds true to them.

Carin

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?