Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 LYSs in NJ??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  06:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
I am aware of very few LYSs in New Jersey. Anyone have a fave they would like to share?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 12, WIP: 1
trek's blog

"As for me and my house..."

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  10:40:37 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
Last spring CloseKnit opened in Ho-ho-kus (Bergen County). I've been very pleased. It's high-end, which one would expect around here, but prices are quite reasonable. The people are very nice, and I like their selection. I try to buy there rather than order by phone or web, as I've done in the past, because I want them to succeed.

My criteria for a good yarn shop are a reasonable selection of natural-fiber yarns and reasonable prices compared with other stores. Based on these criteria, Knitter's Euphorium in Riverdale is also nice. And once I'm going that far (I'm in Bergen), I might as well go to Nyack for Kntting Nation or Irvington for Flying Fingers. And of course I'm not that far from NYC.

My impression is that there are quite a few yarn shops in the central and southern part of the state, but I'm oriented more northward or to NYC. Check Woolworks or do a google search for more.
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  2:56:25 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
trekcelt, what part of NJ are you in? Yarnware is in West Orange. I haven't been there, but they have a great website. There's supposed to be a decent YS in Lambertville, and one in Martinsville. Chatham, too. I haven't been to any of those, though. There's one in Pennington, down by Trenton. Time to Knit on Main Street in Boonton. Spinnery relocated to Frenchtown. Yarn Loft in Sparta. Accents on Knits in Morristown. Another way to find them is to go to a yarn manufacturer's site (like Cherry Tree Hill, Brown Sheep) and click on "find retail store" or something like that. You'll get a list of stores that sell their products. Go to enough yarn sites and you'll get most of them. If you are in south Jersey, sorry, can't help you there!

pieheart

Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.---Dr. Seuss

Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

shear
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  3:33:57 PM  Show Profile Send shear a Private Message
Just went today to Stix and Stitches in MOntclair.Newly opened,it has a wide selection and the staff is very friendly.
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  06:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
There is Aunt Jean's in Clinton, and The Spinnery in Frenchtown as well. I've been to the shop in Martinsville, but I don't like it - beautiful yarn, really unfriendly staff. There are also yarn stores over the border in PA - just depends on where you are in NJ!

Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

bronx58
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  09:53:23 AM  Show Profile Send bronx58 a Private Message
Patricia's Yarns in Hoboken is a very nice shop and the owner is wonderful (and will go out of her way to special order stuff for customers). Handknits in Englewood is great -- large selection, very accomodating staff. I haven't actually been to Woolplay in Haddonfield, but I have ordererd from the and they are lovely people. I also recommend them because they carry merch produced by local artisans -- hand-painted yarns, needle cases, bags, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Hermione
Chatty Knitter

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  10:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hermione's Homepage Send Hermione a Private Message
I know there're yarnstores in Millburn and Westfield, though I've never been. An LYS I've been to twice in NJ is A Yarn For All Seasons in Martinsville, which is pretty good. They have a fairly large sized shop, and the woman who owns the store really helpful and friendly.

Good luck! :)

Life may be scary, but it's only temporary . . . everything in life is only for now- Avenue Q
www.livejournal.com/~theknitpicker
Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  3:19:48 PM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message
If you live in central Jersey (Princeton area), my favorite is Wooly Lamb in Pennington. There's also one at the Princeton Shopping Center called Glenmarle and one on Chamber St. behind the Nassau Inn (I don't remember the name). In south Jersey, there's a lovely yarn shop called Knitty Knotty (on Haddon Ave. in ?Westmont)
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  4:32:00 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Temari, what is in the shopping center where Glenmarle is located? I don't know the names of shopping centers, but if you tell me a couple of the stores maybe I could figure it out. And where in Pennington is Wooly Lamb? I'll be passing by next month on my way to Chesterfield (I think that's the name of the town, near Great Adventure). Of course, that will be after Rhinebeck, I may not have any money left!

Thanks,
pieheart

Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.---Dr. Seuss

Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  6:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hermione

I An LYS I've been to twice in NJ is A Yarn For All Seasons in Martinsville, which is pretty good. They have a fairly large sized shop, and the woman who owns the store really helpful and friendly.

Funny how people can have a completely different experience in the same store. I've been to this store several times, bought yarn each time - and always swore I'd never go back. I didn't find the woman helpful or friendly - in fact, she always made me feel like she thought I was stealing yarn. I even had a "Pretty Woman" moment with her - asked her about a yarn and she told me "its very expensive" in that "do you have any money?" tone. I thought it was me until I brought my sister and mother there - and they felt the same way. But who knows - maybe I look suspicious (or maybe she didn't like me sniffing all her yarn !). Anyway, that was the last time I went - switched to others where they were a bit more friendly.

Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  07:49:10 AM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message
Hi Pieheart,

Glenmarle is in the Princeton Shopping Center (not an enclosed mall) which is on North Harrison. The anchor store would probably be McCaffrey's - a grocery store (it's not small) and if you get lost, I think most people would know where McCaffrey's is. Glenmarle is at the other end of the shopping center from McCaffrey's. If you walk out of McCaffrey's into the shopping center's courtyard, Glenmarle would be on the right.

Wooly Lamb is right on Main St. in Pennington. You'll see a new building (Pennington Court) right next to it. I think Clara did a review on Wooly Lamb shortly after it opened, but if I leave this page to give you a link, I'll lose this message! (If you quilt, you can ask Stacy for the directions to the quilt store)

Have fun shopping!

Go to Top of Page

vicknits@patmedia.net
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  09:34:29 AM  Show Profile Send vicknits@patmedia.net a Private Message
I have to put another vote in for Woolly Lamb. I actually live closer to a few other shops but will go there 9 times out of 10 just because of the people. They also have a great selection and willing be moving to a larger space in late fall so I can't wait to see what they will add!

Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  1:21:04 PM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message
I thought that "Woolly" looked funny! Thanks vicknits. I just spoke with Woolly Lamb's owner (Susan) and they won't be moving until the end of the year so they'll still be there for you next month, pieheart. In terms of selection, I think Woolly Lamb has a greater/more selection than the 2 in Princeton. (If you need help with directions, PM me)
Go to Top of Page

godlikeingoal
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  11:29:09 AM  Show Profile Send godlikeingoal a Private Message
Hope this isn't breaking the rules. . .
I just opened a LYS in Montclair, NJ. If you'd like more info--please PM me.

godlikeingoal
Go to Top of Page

flybyknit
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  05:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit flybyknit's Homepage Send flybyknit a Private Message
the url for godlikeingoal's new store, Modern Yarn, in Montclair is www.modernyarn.com

i openly claim affiliation with the store - my sister is one of the owners and i am REALLY proud :)
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  2:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Is Modern Yarn near Essex Fells?

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  3:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by godlikeingoal

I just opened a LYS in Montclair, NJ. If you'd like more info--please PM me.
Great list of services. I wish I was close enough to take advantage of them. Knitting birthday parties, carside service, a forum, school age child knitting camps on school holidays, and babysitting while Mommy knits! Awesome!! Can I rent you?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 14, WIP: 3
trek's blog

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

godlikeingoal
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  6:05:58 PM  Show Profile Send godlikeingoal a Private Message
Essex Fells is quite near Montclair (10-15 minutes). Our website has a map link, but if you need any better directions, just give the store a call (973-509-YARN).

godlikeingoal
Go to Top of Page

DoodleEwe
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  9:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit DoodleEwe's Homepage Send DoodleEwe a Private Message
There are a few in south Jersey. There is a knit shop in Ocean City, but the name escapes me. Fiber Arts has two shops, one in Cape May, one in Northfield. The Little Knit Shoppe is in Brigantine. I'm pretty sure that's all of them that advertise in our guild newsletter (I've only visited Fiber Arts of Northfield and The Little Knit Shoppe). If I think of anymore I'll pass them along.

Families are like fudge . . .mostly sweet, with a few nuts.
Go to Top of Page

Square Knitter
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  08:06:45 AM  Show Profile Send Square Knitter a Private Message
My favorite LYS is The Knitting Closet in Denville, NJ (morris County). It used to be called The Knitting Basket, but the owner recently moved next door to a smaller space. It's a small shop but it has wonderful yarns and the owner is very welcoming and helpful. She is open during the week (don't know weekday hours) and on Saturday. Unfortunatley she is closed on Sunday.

Square Knitter
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  08:53:25 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Fiber Arts in Cape May is very nice. Chayah in NY
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly