Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 LYSs in NJ??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RRTaliesen
Chatty Knitter

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  10:57:00 AM  Show Profile Send RRTaliesen a Private Message
I just paid my first visit to Modern Yarn this afternoon and it's a great store. The owner was really friendly and helpful and the yarn selection was wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone who lives near Montclair. I know we'll be going back whenever our lunch hour permits!
Go to Top of Page

JoliGee
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  1:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoliGee's Homepage Send JoliGee a Private Message
Hey godlikeingoal--
My DH bought me a gift certificate from your store for my birthday! So I'll be seeing you soon.
I have been to Yarnware in West Orange--it's big, well-lit, lots of stock, needles, but it's not opened on Saturday.
JG
Go to Top of Page

SYD
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  1:49:27 PM  Show Profile Send SYD a Private Message
i went to knitter's euphorium in Riverdale this morning, about a 45 minute drive from my home (exit 53 from 287N). each time I go i re-remember what a lovely experiencce shopping there is. Deena is delightful and the selection of yarn is great. i signed up for a modular knit shawl class with Iris Schrier for December.
Go to Top of Page

jpr54_
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  3:48:36 PM  Show Profile Send jpr54_ a Private Message

I visited Modern Yarn on Sunday-the staff/owner was helpful and yarns were beautiful. The 2 patrons in store at the time were also friendly and helpful.

I also visited the shop yarnware but was not as happy with staff friendliness and helfulness

Go to Top of Page

vicknits@patmedia.net
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile Send vicknits@patmedia.net a Private Message
Since this post bubbled up to towards the top again I found myself reading everyone's posts whereas the first time in I just put in my quick vote for Woolly.

I'm writing now to say, sadly, I concur with JeanneL's comments on A Yarn for All Seasons, that is one of the stores closer to me that I don't like to use. My experience was almost exactly like hers. When I went there for the first time I didn't feel that 'warm fuzzy' feeling and didn't stay long. I returned this time only because I have a pattern that uses Plymouth Galway and they were the closest ones who carry it. (no matter how many substitutions I try I still go back to the Galway for this particular hat pattern I make) Anyway when I came in I was asked if I needed help and I said 'no I just need Galway and know where it is'. I wasn't rude, just matter of fact. Well I was the only one in the store and the woman came out and just hovered over me while I tried to pick out colors. I distinctly felt as though I was being watched over like a 'potential shoplifter' rather than in a helpful way, especially since when I did ask 'What do you think of these 2 colors together?' She barely had much comment. I felt very uncomfortable.

Next time I needed Galway (a lot of people like this hat I make LOL) the person wanted to pick her own colors but didn't have the time to go the shop, so since I do need it so much I called and said I buy a lot of Galway from them could I pay to have a color ordered for me. The person who picked up the phone said they don't do that and to call Plymouth directly. So I called Plymouth and they were completely surprised that the shop wouldn't order me a card and apologized that they only deal with shops. So to that I promptly asked for other shops nearby who perhaps would order a card for me and Plymouth was happy to help. That was the last I'll ever go to Yarn for All Season since by their own doing they pointed me elsewhere for the only thing I used them for.

Their loss..
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  8:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Square Knitter

My favorite LYS is The Knitting Closet in Denville, NJ (morris County). It used to be called The Knitting Basket, but the owner recently moved next door to a smaller space.

I'm not impressed with that store at all. They don't carry Rowan anymore, which was the only reason I liked the Knitting Basket in the first place. I've only found them to be helpful about one out of every nine visits. There is another shop in Denville, though, called Nonna's Yarn Cafe. Really nice owners and decent selection (though it leans just a little too close to novelty yarn).

I've been to Modern Yarns in Montclair, too--liked it quite a bit!

Deb in NJ
http://chappysmom.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by