Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Like to make swatch?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

liebchens
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  04:56:42 AM  Show Profile Send liebchens a Private Message
In the Twisted Sisters Workbook, Lynne shows her swatches knit in the round, all knit by adding the next one to a tube made from previous swatches. I keep meaning to try that. I need to ask her how she did it. Maybe if I tried something like that I wouldn't mind swatching so much. When I do swatch, I pull it out and use the yarn. I need something to do with it so I don't think of it as wasted yarn.

One question I have for others is, how do you keep track of which swatches were made with which yarn and which needles.
Go to Top of Page

beviegirl
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  05:31:15 AM  Show Profile Send beviegirl a Private Message
HI EVERYONE, LOVED SOME OF YOU IDEAS. WHEN I SWATCH, I TOO RIP IT OUT AND USE IT FOR THE BODY OF WHAT I AM MAKING, BUT OTHER TIMES I MAKE THE SWATCH A BIT LARGER, OR SMALLER, DEPENDING, AND USE IT AS AN ODD POCKET SOMEWHERE ON THE GARMENT. MA BEV :)

Go to Top of Page

MichelleKS
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  06:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit MichelleKS's Homepage Send MichelleKS a Private Message
I usually swatch for guage, but only sometimes put the swatch through the recommended washing etc. It depends upon if I know the yarn. I was just thinking about what to do with the left over bits of sock yarn I have and I thought of the crazy patch afghan idea, which like others noted could be used for the swatches. I often toss the swatches or undo the yarn and use it. I like the sachet and cat toy ideas too. More things to think about!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Dewa
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  07:03:24 AM  Show Profile Send Dewa a Private Message
I also don't wash and block them and just unravel them and use the yarn in the project. I never even thought of keeping them.

But I recently saw an idea that I think would work for swatches. Stuff them with ceramic pie weights and sew them up. Then you can microwave them for a minute or so and they become handwarmers to keep in your coat pockets on warm days. I think I would use two swatches for this, sewn into a square. This would probably also work as something warm for tummy and earaches too.

Deirdre

Go to Top of Page

Tamara
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  09:34:44 AM  Show Profile Send Tamara a Private Message
An idea for your swatches...if you make them measure 7" x 9" you can drop them off at any Michael's craft stores. They join them and donate them to "Warm Up America!" The afghans are given to shelters and to the homeless. I think this is a great cause and a good way to use your swatches!
(For information you can check the Michaels' website)
OH...and just so you know...I don't own any, work at any, or have anything to do with Michael's other than as a frequent shopper!

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

sboeman@owpp.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  10:09:42 AM  Show Profile Send sboeman@owpp.com a Private Message
quote:

In the Twisted Sisters Workbook, Lynne shows her swatches knit in the round, all knit by adding the next one to a tube made from previous swatches. I keep meaning to try that. I need to ask her how she did it. Maybe if I tried something like that I wouldn't mind swatching so much. When I do swatch, I pull it out and use the yarn. I need something to do with it so I don't think of it as wasted yarn.

One question I have for others is, how do you keep track of which swatches were made with which yarn and which needles.

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  10:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message

quote:

J..I attended a Edie Eckman class on swatching (a great 3 hour discussion believe it or not). Edie had her swatches labeled using the "price tags" with the strings. You can find them at stationary stores like Office Max. She had listed all the info..yarn, color, company name, fibers, needles used, washing instructions, etc.

Linda

"Randy lay there like a slug...it was his only defense." Ralphie
Go to Top of Page

Dewa
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  10:12:10 AM  Show Profile Send Dewa a Private Message
Oops. I meant handwarmers on COLD days, not warm :-)

Deirdre

Go to Top of Page

sboeman@owpp.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  10:13:35 AM  Show Profile Send sboeman@owpp.com a Private Message
quote:

In reply to how I keep track of which yarn and which needles, I make a knot in the cast on tail equalling the needle size (4 knots for a #4 needle) I always use the english size and keep a label for each yarn with a piece tied to it. I only save the swatches for yarns that I am pretty sure I will use again.

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  10:45:09 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Michelle, you mentioning left over sock yarn reminded me of what some folks are knitting on the Ample Knitter's List (anyone get the idea I read two lists???). Anyway, this sweater is way beyond my skill level at the moment, but I think it is gorgeous! Check it out to use up left over sock yarn.

http://www.rjconklin.com/images/sweaters/leftoversfront.jpg

chris

quote:

I usually swatch for guage, but only sometimes put the swatch through the recommended washing etc. It depends upon if I know the yarn. I was just thinking about what to do with the left over bits of sock yarn I have and I thought of the crazy patch afghan idea, which like others noted could be used for the swatches. I often toss the swatches or undo the yarn and use it. I like the sachet and cat toy ideas too. More things to think about!

Michelle

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

cast-on
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  5:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cast-on's Homepage Send cast-on a Private Message
When I make a swatch for a new project, I always keep that swatch as an emergency source of that yarn in case I run shy close to the end. After that, swatches are lovely as coasters, kitty toys or random souvenirs on a table of my passion for yarn.

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  7:08:41 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Okay, so we're stuffing them with cedar and lavendar for humans, why not stuff them with catnip for the cats! Talk about the ultimate cat toy. Especially if you felted the swatch first to make it tough enough to last a few days. I really don't think the few fibers the cats would ingest would be harmful. After all, they were designed to eat animal protein, including the hair. So the new yarn Clara is reviewing wouldn't make a good cat toy, but most regular yarns would.

I like the idea of a tote bag like the free-form knitting bag in Knitter's a few years ago.

To answer an earlier question, I don't wash my yarn after I unravel it because I use it so soon.

But the one time I wish I had washed and blocked the swatch was the first time I tried to design a sleeveless summer shell in boucle. That thing spread two sizes sideways! So now, I too wash and block swatches when I'm unfamiliar with the yarn.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  9:33:25 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
When my children were small I used to sew and knit most of their clothes.When I went to patchwork classes I used alot of their offcuts in a patchwork bag and always called it my memory bag and it has always reminded the children of some of the clothes they wore.
You could do the same with swatches by making a memory blanket.It's fun and nostalgic thinking back to what you made with the wool or material and a way of keeping tabs on how much knitting you have done.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Michelle
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  2:27:41 PM  Show Profile Send Michelle a Private Message
I usually ripout my swatches, too, but if I finish one off and leave it lying around it ends up being used as a coaster. Thanks for all the ideas!

Michelle

Go to Top of Page

tricoquelicot
Warming Up

Japan
65 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  08:08:52 AM  Show Profile Send tricoquelicot a Private Message
Thanks a lot for all who gave faburous ideas. I especially like the idea of making rabbit and sachet with lavender, and thought why not a rabbit stuffed by lavenber? A simple swatch can be transformed to a pretty gift, isnt it?

Besides, I noticed a interesting thing, that we cannot find any knitting books in Japan here which mentioned to wash the swatch!!! I have no idea to do it, since it has been always indicated the swatch as to get gauge only. (I tthought the KRs yarn reviews are special just to know the difference before and after the wash, never occurs to me that it is normal thing!)

To keep the data of each swatch, I do like someone explained, that to use kind of price tag and put the needle size and gauge, name of yarn and lot number in it.

Ive already printed out the rabbit pattern, thank you clara!!

Trico

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  09:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

I have been thinking about this novel sort of swatch for a few days. I have never liked making swatches, as I could figure out what to do with them; now I have all sorts of great ideas. As for 'swatching-in-the-round', it has dawned on me that a reasonable-sized swatch tube could be converted into tube sox. This is particularly interesting to me because my DH is a double amputee...but skiiers and skaters might appreciate "Leg Tubes" (started and ended with a bit of ribbing) to keep calves/knees warm...am I on to something?

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  10:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:

As for 'swatching-in-the-round', it has dawned on me that a reasonable-sized swatch tube could be converted into tube sox. This is particularly interesting to me because my DH is a double amputee...but skiiers and skaters might appreciate "Leg Tubes" (started and ended with a bit of ribbing) to keep calves/knees warm...am I on to something?

I was thinking that you could fill the tube with polyfill or fabric scraps and make one of those "chill chasers" to put in front of the door or window.

Mindy to Heidi: Did I tell you she knits in class? She knits away and two weeks later she comes in wearing a new sweater!
Go to Top of Page

Elsa
Chatty Knitter

154 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  12:59:05 PM  Show Profile Send Elsa a Private Message
This has been a great discussion everyone!

Chris, I really like the sweater with all those prepattern yarn. That was pretty genius. It might make a cool pillow or something too. I wonder how many balls of leftovers it took to make that.

Sboeman- That is a great idea for keeping track of the needle size.
Simple, but also brilliant.

Laicylane- I like the felted kitty toys idea stuffed with catnip. You could even make it resemble a mouse with a little stitching.

Trico- Thanks again for beginning this discussion. I also love the rabbit stuffed with lavender idea.

Elsa

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2003 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

I was thinking that you could fill the tube with polyfill or fabric scraps and make one of those "chill chasers" to put in front of the door or window.

Great idea, BDB...And up here, this time of year, we have chill to chase! You could add button eyes and a bit of felt and have your own snake/"Nessy"...

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  3:28:43 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I think it's a great idea to sew up the little swatch squares you no longer need and donate them to "Warm Up America" and they get made into afghans and donated to victims of natural disasters, battered women's shelters, the homeless...etc.

http://www.warmupamerica.com/home.html

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.