Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Like to make swatch?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
I think I'm kind of a straggler on this topic but the current Belle Armoire has an article on little fancy knitted purses. The author started by wondering what to do with swatches and ended up just elongating them until she could fold them over envelope style. Her purses are really charming...perfect little gifts that show a lot of creativity without a lot of work. Some have added side panels for depth...most are done in really "fun" yarns.

Allyn

Go to Top of Page

sedgwick
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  4:17:51 PM  Show Profile Send sedgwick a Private Message
I love all the ideas for swatches: make them into leg warmers or draft stoppers (I really need to find out about those tubular swatches); turn them into sachets or cat toys; make them into sweaters, or dog sweaters, or afghans; or use them as coasters, or emergency yarn for the ends of projects; or unravel them and use the yarn (which is what I do); or make them into handwarmers. Right now, with this weather, I favor the handwarmers and draft-stoppers ideas.

Because I knit mostly with acrylics which I've been using for years, I don't make too many swatches these days. Sometimes I have to check for gauge. But come to think of it, a lot of the blocks I make for charity afghans are really swatches--not only for gauge, but also to determine whether I like a pattern well enough to make something big out of it.

sedgwick
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  4:35:49 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I've got another use for everyone. My local no-kill cat shelter is always looking for donations of blankets and towels to keep all the kennels cozy. So put all those swatches together and find an animal shelter. I'm sure the resident cats wouldn't mind a mixed up colour scheme if it meant they got a cozy blanket to sit on!

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  6:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

I've got another use for everyone. My local no-kill cat shelter is always looking for donations of blankets and towels to keep all the kennels cozy. So put all those swatches together and find an animal shelter. I'm sure the resident cats wouldn't mind a mixed up colour scheme if it meant they got a cozy blanket to sit on!

I guess an afghan is an afghan...even if what's sitting on it is...an afghan (hound, that is)...or even if what's sitting under it is a human...eating an afghan (biscuit, that is!)

Sorry...just got a bit of the sillies...

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by