Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 Interweave Shawl: 1,125 yds yarn??!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HollyHobbie
New Pal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  10:09:18 PM  Show Profile Send HollyHobbie a Private Message
I was thinking of trying out a pattern from the Spring 2005 issue of Interweave Knits: the Paisley Lace Shawl (p. 96). However, when I was looking over the yarn requirements here is what I read:

JaggerSpun Zephyr: about 1,125 yd (1,208 m) or 3.5 oz (99g)

Is it just me or does 1, 125 yards seem like an insane amount of yarn? Plus, I would think that, even with a lightweight yarn, that much yardage would weigh more than 3.5 oz! I checked the Interweave website and found no errata or corrections on that pattern. Can some kind soul please enlighten me?

Thanks!

Holly

Holly R.

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  03:03:30 AM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
I have that pattern, and I was actually surprised that for a square shawl, it only required 1125 yards of yarn It's definitely not an error. I usually figure on about 1200 yards for a triangular shawl, and closer to 3500 for a square. I recently knitted the Frost Flowers and Leaves shawl from the book A Gathering of Lace, and it called for 3600 yards. And the Mediterrean Lace shawl I'm working on now also requires 3600 yards, and it's not even a square.

Have you ever knit with Zephyr? It's the most wonderful lace yarn! It's so soft, and has such a nice sheen to it from the silk. Try www.theknitter.com if you're going to buy some, they carry all the colors, and have free shipping. And if you ever need the 3600 yard range, order a cone. Then there are no joins to make, and it's much more cost efficient.

Good luck with the shawl!

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  04:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Here is a link to someone that just finished the shawl. She might be able to tell you how much she used. 1125 does seem low to me too.
http://sweetgeorgia.planetfishdesign.com/archives/2005/07/the_paisley_lac.html
I didn't care much for the picture in the magazine but after seeing hers I want to knit it.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  06:26:31 AM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Melissa- Thanks for the tip on Zephyr. I'm new to lace, but you've just hooked me! Those colors! OMG! I see many, many shawls in my future...
(And the best thing about lace knitting - a project that will take a chunk of TIME, but not a chunk of MONEY! So much more economical than sweaters, LOL!)
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  09:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Oh, I want to knit that shawl, too! It's *so* lovely.
If you don't want to buy a whole cone of the yarn, the Yarn Barn of Kansas
http://yarnbarn-ks.com
sells it by 4 oz. as well as the large cone size.
I think maybe next time I go I'll have to pick some up.. mmmm....

~Sarah Elizabeth
 Spinners make the world go round.
Keep on knitting on!
http://knitonespintoo.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  11:16:47 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
Zephyr is 5,040 yards to the pound so 3.5 oz. is a little over 1100 yards. I agree that Zephyr is wonderful to work with. It is really the gold standard for laceweight yarns. A couple of caveats though if you have not used this yarn before. The silk content makes this yarn quite slippery so you will want to use bamboo or plastic needles. The teflon gray Inox are good too. You will also want to use needles with a sharp point on them and have a small size crochet handy to catch dropped stitchs if you have to do any tinking.
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobbie
New Pal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  6:00:20 PM  Show Profile Send HollyHobbie a Private Message
Wow, thanks for all of your feedback. I guess I haven't really tackled any larger projects yet, so I had no idea how much yardage to expect. The zephyr does look beautiful and I think I'm going to have to try it.

Thanks and happy knitting to you all. Thank goodness fall is upon us! The change of the seasons just really inspires me to start new projects.

Holly R.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?