Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet for beginners - basic questions
 Crocheting 1st doily
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jasper799
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  1:47:50 PM  Show Profile Send jasper799 a Private Message
I would love to make my first doily, but can't find out which pattern would be best for a beginner. Any suggestions for the first try? Thanks,
Sheila F.

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  08:05:27 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I would HIGHLY recommend one that comes with a chart instead of, or as well as, written instructions. Magic Crochet magazine is good for this, as well as...umm, great, now I can't remember the name of the other mostly-thread crochet magazine. Written instructions are harder to keep track of which parts have to be repeated how many times, and they are also more likely to have errors in them (in my experience, anyway.) The magazines of doily patterns also rate patterns according to difficulty - choose one with only one or two stars and you ought to be fine. I can usually find these mags at Walmart or the grocery store, if that helps.
Lin

"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
Coats and Clark has quite a few doilies on their Web site and they are ranked for Beg, Inter, Adv. http://www.coatsandclark.com/fun_and_free/crochet_thread/home.htm
I did the Heart's Desire Doily and found it an easy first project.

Sarah

If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?