Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet for beginners - basic questions
 Question on assembling a project
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah E.
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  8:05:54 PM  Show Profile Send Sarah E. a Private Message
Hello, I'm new here, and I have a quick question.

I'm working on my first crochet project - the afghan on the cover of this book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0848714180/103-1121637-9503832?v=glance

I've finished all the many hexagons, but now I'm not quite sure how to put them all together. All the instructions say is "Whipstitch together following placement diagram." What do I use to stitch them together? What color yarn? There's so many different colors right next to each other, and it seems as if the stitches would really show up.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  9:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
There is really no wrong decision.

You can either use the main color for all of the assembly OR you can use a different color for each block. If you choose to use multiple colors and you want the whipstitches to be as unobtrusive as possible, always use the darker of the two colors being sewn together. If they're the same depth, use the cooler color. The receding quality of darker and cooler colors will help "hide" the stitches.

You could also ignore the whipstitch instruction and use a less obvious sewing stitch.

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

Sarah E.
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile Send Sarah E. a Private Message
Thank you very much for your help, WendyM! I guess I'll just try what you said and see how it goes!
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  2:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message
I agree with Wendy and I definately think you may drive your self nuts whipstitching multiple colors. Consider the loose end factor.

Take care, Bev
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/
OTN: KR Gift Exchange project for Andrea "mtnknitter", Elizabeth I "Dainty Bess" lace scarf, "Go With the Flow" socks, "Classy Slip-Up" socks
2005 FO Count: 7
Go to Top of Page

styledbykristin
Gabber Extraordinaire

391 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  3:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit styledbykristin's Homepage Send styledbykristin a Private Message
Whenever possible, I fasten off leaving long ends to use later on for sewing things together.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. We love to see pictures!

Best regards,

Kristin

www.styledbykristin.com
kristin@styledbykristin.com

Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe