Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What happened to Unger Yarns?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  05:33:17 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
I was flipping through some old craft mags from the 1980s and Unger Yarns were ALL OVER the place. I've come back to knitting after a long hiatus, plus I've been living in England for a while now so I wouldn't have realized they disappeared.

Does anyone know what happened? Are they still in existence?

Elizabeth

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  06:35:23 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
I've been wondering the same thing.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  10:18:38 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Ditto. It was a great yarn and I still have numerous patterns calling for Unger yarns. Think I'll Google them and see if I can find out anything.

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  10:46:45 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
Dicksie, if you did google Unger you probably didn't find much (just a few odd skeins for sale). It's a bit of a mystery. I know they were most likely bought up under JCA, but it's strange that such a well known name could have disappeared like that.

I never did get to make that Angelspun sweater I wanted to.
[:((]

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  3:32:02 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message
Patternworks (among others) [http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/partsvyarn.asp?action=lookup&partno=953&subject=U40.L57&catpos=11] carries an Unger yarn, Utopia. I think it is made by Färberei Unger GmbH in Germany.

The Unger yarns I believe you are referring to are probably the ones imported by William Unger & Company of New York, who imported many yarns from different countries under his imprimatur. The company has apparently stopped importing yarn.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe