Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Cascade Sierra
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knittingmama
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  4:23:17 PM  Show Profile Send knittingmama a Private Message
I'll preface this by saying I'm a relatively new knitter, and not a fan of cottons in general.

After a long hiatus, I took up knitting again and decided to "celebrate" by signing up for a class knitting a cabled top down cardigan at my lys. The model was knit with Rowan Calmer, and was gorgeous, but I was trying to be a cheapskate. So the sales associate recommended the Cascade Sierra since it was on sale.

I should have known it was an omen when the first skein I tried to hand-wind into a ball turned into a tangled mess that it took me an entire evening to unravel. Then I had to knit 5 swatches, yes 5! to make gauge, going from a size 9 needle to a 5. Got the shoulder tabs done, half the back done, just not happy with how it looked. The yarn has zero give and kept separating into plies like embroidery floss. You could see uneven tension between my knit/purl rows. Knitting with this yarn stressed me out. My teacher suggested I try a variation on my knitting style (I knit continental) and it worked to correct my unevenness...but, it changed the gauge. So I ripped back to the shoulder tabs and started over. Got halfway through the back again and started measuring--now my gauge is different than it was before; I mustbe doing something different, and the back is too small for me, sigh.

So I gave up, marched back to the yarn store, and bought my (gulp) 10 balls of Rowan Calmer and put it on my dh's credit card, who by this time is so tired of hearing me b*tch about the Sierra that he would buy me almost anything to shut me up. The Calmer is dream to work with, so soft, now I know why it is so expensive.

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  4:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Wow, it sure sounds like a tough yarn to work with. I laughed at your strategy to get the pricey yarn. I'm sure the cardigan will be fantastic after all the practice work! Is it for you?

Arctic-mermaid

Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  4:30:41 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Knittingmama, you've spoiled yourself forever with Rowan Calmer! It's a great yarn to work with - knits up w/all those stitches standing like soldiers in a row, and so soft, and stretchy a bit, and lovely colors. Keep your eyes open for sales, that's all I can say.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  07:47:58 AM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message
I really like sierra. It isn't as easy to keep tension as with a more elastic yarn, and it certainly isn't Calmer, but it's soft, has lovely colors, and washes well. It might be worth a try again later on when you're less frustrated.

Shannon
my blog:
http://yarnandchocolate.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AlexH
Chatty Knitter

286 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  09:20:48 AM  Show Profile Send AlexH a Private Message
I agree with Shannon. I'm nearly done with a sweater for DH, and the yarn has been soft and easy on my hands. The lack of sproing didn't bother me much, and it slides easily on the needles. It blocks nicely. Everyone has his/her own preference. I love working with alpaca -- my sister thinks it's too itchy!

Sandy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?