Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Knitting Magazines
 Vogue Knitting Holiday
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  10:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I know from reading the You Knit What? blog that I am not the only one who hated this entire issue. What a disappointment -- I remember really liking things in last year's Holiday issue (though I can't find my copy right now). But this one... Pattern #1 is a bolero with huge bobbles knit at a gauge of 1.75 st to the inch!!!!! And the sleeves are way too long, even for the model. The cover sweater is attention-geting alright but let's hope the model never has to raise her arms -- that will NOT be pretty. The red jacket in the Highland Swing section drops down on either side while leaving the front open to frame your crotch. Pattern #12, a coat, looks like Chewbacca on acid. Some of the stuff in the Victorian-style section were kind of cute, but hard to see -- my eyes were still stinging from the earlier pictures. They sent me a renewal notice with this issue -- yeah, right.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Yarn Delirious
Seriously Hooked

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  1:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarn Delirious's Homepage Send Yarn Delirious a Private Message
rob,
did you just receive it today?

Yarn Delirious blog
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  1:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Hmm, I think it came earlier this week.

Go to Top of Page

liberryqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  04:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit liberryqueen's Homepage Send liberryqueen a Private Message
I purchased a copy from my Barnes & Noble yesterday morning (Sunday). I agree with RobA, the cover model had best forget lifting her arms if wearing that sweater. The cover shot was beautiful, but the whole sweater that is revealed is not that practical or attractive. But the colors and just the simple rev st st with the super chunky yarn are such a wonderful look that I think anyone could create their own simple pattern using them and create something much more wearable.

http://www.librarianknits.com
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
I bought it on Saturday night at B&N. I buy it for the ideas. I really liked the pillows and think I will do some Fair Isles pillows to match the new living room furniture when it arrives.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  5:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message
Shows how everyone's tastes differ. I didn't care for last year's Holiday issue at all. I thought a couple things were kind of cute, but I would never make. This time around I really like a lot of the styles. I love the "houndstooth" capelet and the fair isle sweater and cap and I also like the longer double-breasted wine colored jacket in the Victorian section (although I would never make it for myself). I found it to be very inspirational!

argoknit

http://www.isaacsondesign.net/

[image]http://www.isaacsondesign.net/forum/llama.gif[/image]
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  4:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I agree that the double-breasted wine colored jacket was an interesting one.

Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  07:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I bought it because my pottery got a mention. I'm not sure I would have gotten it otherwise. I think the concepts and desings are nice but there isn't much in there that would look good on me.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethMM
Warming Up

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  03:15:15 AM  Show Profile Send ElizabethMM a Private Message
Found this yesterday at a Borders here in England, so you can imagine I snapped it up. I knew some of the designs from the preview - but nothing can prepare you for the shock of some of those fugtastic designs. The Victorian and Highland ones were fine, but all of those 'Into the Woods' (with the exception of the brown floral jacket) made me want to barf . That blue Berroco coat! that Noro jacket! not to mention that truly horrifying Trendsetter coat (with the boast that it uses 9 yarns!). Then there's the 'quick' holiday knits - bleech. Does Vogue really think that we want to knit this stuff? I have various VKs going back to the 80s (including the first ever US issue) and I can find something beautiful in all of them, and very few disasters. What's happening? When did it all go 'kooky'? I didn't buy the Fall issue because so little appealed.

Please Vogue - bring back style, bring back designs with beautiful traditional yarns.

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

oscarcatt
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  10:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit oscarcatt's Homepage Send oscarcatt a Private Message
I am sooooooo impressed with everything in the magazine, with the exception of that one awful sweater that they have in that section for quickie sweaters. I think you'd know what I'm talking about.

The double breasted sweater.... OH MY. I am going to make it as soon as I can get the money together. That thing will look beautiful on me. I just wish I could afford Aurora 8. I'm also probably going ot have to order the cool stuff around the neck, or just use something else and put a sparkly carry-along with it. But wow... some really great stuff in there.

I am confused though, didn't there used to be a winter AND a Holiday mag?

quote:
Originally posted by Wonk

Ooh, I love the double-breasted sweater coat. And the lace sleeveless shirt. And the pillows.

I'm trying to surpress my love for anything Victorian-styled, but I'm failing miserably.

Jennifer

leftie knitter - sock eater
Go to Top of Page

Wonk
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  6:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wonk's Homepage Send Wonk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by oscarcatt

I am sooooooo impressed with everything in the magazine, with the exception of that one awful sweater that they have in that section for quickie sweaters. I think you'd know what I'm talking about.

The double breasted sweater.... OH MY. I am going to make it as soon as I can get the money together. That thing will look beautiful on me. I just wish I could afford Aurora 8. I'm also probably going ot have to order the cool stuff around the neck, or just use something else and put a sparkly carry-along with it. But wow... some really great stuff in there.

I am confused though, didn't there used to be a winter AND a Holiday mag?

Jennifer

leftie knitter - sock eater

The Winter edition comes out in January (looking forward to it). For the double-breasted coat, I'm using Knit Picks (Wool of the Andes? I can't remember what I ordered), and it came out to be really well priced. I just substituted black worsted wool for the edging and hood and will adjust it for the gauge. I'm looking forward to making (and wearing) it.

As for some of the other things in the magazine, like the novelty and "coats", well, I just like to pretend that those don't exist. It was worth it just for the Victorian and Highland patterns.
Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  9:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
I was disappointed with this mag. I expected more "holiday-ish" patterns. The pillows are great, but other than that, I don't think I'll be making anything in it. I did love FCEK though -- already working on some stuff from there.

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

kristajo
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
436 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile Send kristajo a Private Message
Annie Modesitt's tartan wrap has huge potential - but as a throw, not a wrap. I'm going to make a lap blanket by doubling the width, and I'm definitely going to use different colours.

The double-breasted coat looks great in the photo, but I dunno how I'd feel about the reverse-stocking stitch up close.

I thought the EXACT same thing about the model in the Twinkle sweater having to raise her arms!! Would have been smarter just to make it sleeveless.

Cheers,

Krista Jo
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  4:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message
I was able to check this out from my library! How cool is that - they have the Vogues in permabond. I'm glad I did because I won't buy it now. The only things I liked (some of the Victorian things and the tartan wrap) are too time consuming for me now. I liked last years more. I think its great that there is something for everyone out there - if they don't hit you with this one, there is always next year. Connie
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  4:46:28 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
While I was recovering from an illness, I made the Victorian Wrap from this issue and it turned out absolutely beautiful. Also, it was a totally fun pattern to knit, very engaging.

M L
Others may ask, "What's in your wallet?" But I ask, "What's on your needles?"
Go to Top of Page

Sadierose
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  6:53:57 PM  Show Profile Send Sadierose a Private Message
Milianda, did you make that red lacy wrap? I just knitted this up in Knitpicks red worsted -- and I love it too, but it looks a little looser than the one in the photo. The funny thing is that it gauged exactly right, and I ended up using less than half of the stated yardage.

Wonk, how much wool did you use for that double breasted jacket? I'm dying to try it but I'm also tired of constantly buying far too much wool for these projects.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Lobolita
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  7:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lobolita's Homepage Send Lobolita a Private Message
Seriously, though...the cover sweater?!?!

Take a look my handdyed and handspun yarns: http://twowaters.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Wonk
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  11:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wonk's Homepage Send Wonk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sadierose

Wonk, how much wool did you use for that double breasted jacket? I'm dying to try it but I'm also tired of constantly buying far too much wool for these projects.

Thanks!

I actually just started that one using Wool of the Andes, so I have no idea yet. I'll get back to you when I'm farther in.

It's looking pretty nice, though.
Go to Top of Page

Sadierose
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  06:20:45 AM  Show Profile Send Sadierose a Private Message
Wonk, on another topic you asked about the project I'm working on now. This is the dark red lacy wrap featured in the Victorian section. I used worsted weight wool from Knitpicks rather than the wool the pattern called for. Calculating the yardage given in the pattern, I came up with 12 balls of Wool of the Andes in Hollyberry. I ended up using only 4 balls -- actually, precisely 4 balls -- I had only 2 yards left! I made only 3 of the 4 roses, so if you want to make all 4, you should buy 5 balls.

My wrap looks a little looser and lacier than the one in the pic, which may or may not be a problem. I preferred the tighter fabric in the original because it showed off the spiky border design. The other day I visited my LYS, "Knitorious" in St. Louis, where Sandy, the very lovely and charming owner happened to be in the middle of working up the same project. She's making hers in rose, in the wool called for in the pattern, and she also found that the pattern overestimated the yardage. I believe she's only used 2 balls so far & seems to be about 3/4 done. (The pattern called for 6.) I have to say I find this kind of thing immensely frustrating because I often purchase yarn on ebay or online, so I can't return the extras.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem with patterns from knitting magazines? I had a similar issue with one of the Interweave shrug patterns from last summer.

BTW, here's the link to Knitorious, if you want to contact Sandy -- http://www.knitorious.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  6:05:09 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I have that problem all the time, but I thought it was because I substitute the yarns because I can't get them here.

This is the first Vogue Knitting I am considering buying, but I'm trying to justify spending $13.95 just for the double breasted jacket pattern.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 2 WIPs, 26 FOs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000