Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 Roving Bags
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  06:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I know this is neither the forum nor the place to post this but I feel that most of my friends on this forum are the spinners and I felt sorry for the spindle thread since it hasn’t had a posting in over a month. So I’m showing off the “Roving Bags” :o) I’ve made over the last few weeks.

This is my newest tooled bag. I tried to stain it with a sun burst shading like that used on some high end guitars. I think it turned out pretty nice. I just finished it yesterday.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/28887719/465744227mhcMEG

I spoke with a woman at the garden party my band played at last weekend who owns a hand bag boutique in one of the local posh neighborhoods she told me that my price was a little high, that she could only charge $1,200 to $1,400 for them. I told her $800.00 she said she needed to get 100% profit and $1,600 was just a little high. She also told me that they are well worth the price I’m asking that my work was excellent. She mentioned a shop in Doral that could get in the $2,500 range. It sounds like insane money to me for a bit of leather but apparently there are people around with more sense than money. Though I do have 40 to 60 hours in to each of these tooled bags I know that I would never own one if I didn’t make them myself.

The first one I did and finished up a few weeks ago
http://community.webshots.com/photo/28887719/454292990bgtDIF

I’m calling them “the Good, the Bad and the Ugly”
The two linked above being the “Good”

The “Bad”
http://community.webshots.com/photo/465740452/465740452XGNJsr

The “Ugly”
http://community.webshots.com/photo/465741945/465741945nHHaYo
Although my wife really appreciates the “good” her particular favorite, the one she choose from all I’ve made is the “Ugly”. I love her but she’s a little strange, just like me. :o)

Mike

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  06:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
That's incredible, Mike! A real work of art!!!!!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  07:31:03 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Beautiful bags. I like the "ugly" too - it can go anywhere without worry about things like scratches and dents. I love the look of old, well-worn and well-loved leather bags.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  08:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I like 'em all! Why do you call them roving bags? Are they for holding roving or are they for "roving around" with?

(wishing I had that kind of money to spend on a bag - but saving for my wheel has higher priority)

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  11:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I called them roving bags just to lend credibility to showing them off in this thread. I actually made the first one for my wife to carry around at biker events to drum up business for my leather work. The second one was just practice of tooling techniques. The ugly one I carry my cords and tuner around in, I play in a couple of bands, it is also fairly new, I have been practicing some staining techniques to make the project look old. A friend of mine has a 1938 Harley and he wants me to make him a new seat but he doesn’t want it to look new.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  12:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
Great bags!!
It's a shame that you can't sell them for $800 wholesale, there's a LOT of work with all that hand tooling!!
There are a few places that actually PAY the artist what their time is worth, but not enough in my book!
thanks for sharing this beauty!

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  5:40:56 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
Mike I have to laugh at you, LOL!!!!! I also felt sorry for the spindle forum because it hadn't gotten any posts in so long. I couldn't think of anything to post though. Love the Roving bag excuse.

Your bags are really nice, I like them all. Make sure you let us know if you get those big $$$$ for them. Wouldn't that be fantastic? Think of all the fibers you could buy, LOL!
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  5:42:40 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Wow. Beautiful work...certainly worth the price for those who can afford them!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  07:52:50 AM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
my fav is the ugly, followed by the bad.

they're all beautiful and you're very talented, mike.

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  04:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

I called them roving bags just to lend credibility to showing them off in this thread.
(snip)
Mike

Shoot, I was hoping they really WERE for roving. Well, they're still on my if-I-win-the-lottery list.

I actually just had a great idea! If you made a smallish bag with the suede side out and the smooth side in, an open top, and some kind of wrist strap, it actually WOULD make a good roving bag. You could use it sort of like a wrist distaff, except instead of wrapping the roving or top around, you'd sort of pile it inside the bag and feed it out the top.

Or I bet you could find a way to make a really cool "traditional" wrist distaff with leather fringe instead of yarn.

Fiddlesticks! I already have enough wood, fabric, and fiber projects to keep me busy. I don't need to start getting into leather work, too. You, Mike, are very mean, tempting me like this!

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  08:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Well, I don’t want to tempt you and surely don’t need to be cursed so I better not mention that leather is a kind of fiber too and personally I don’t think it has ever been cheaper than it is right now. I just picked up a full side of chap leather in the 6oz range for $49.00. I guess it’s about 18 square feet or so. I want to make a copy of the old postal carriers bag, they are huge and can hold all the yarn you would almost ever need.

Anyhow forget I said any of that, I don’t mean to encourage anyone into new areas of crafting.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  12:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
LOL! I guess it's my own durn fault if I can't get leather out of my mind. And me a vegetarian, too....

Actually, I think making and wearing things with leather is more responsible that not using the leather. The meat industry is going to kill the critters anyway, and I think it's better for the skin to be used to make something beautiful and useful than to just be thrown out or rendered (I used to live 5 blocks from a rendering plant - you don't even want to THINK about the smell!)

-WendyM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe