Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 Fall Back on Spindle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  1:32:41 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
I had a challenging bit of fiber, very long and slllliiiickk. For me I just couldn't handle it with the wheel, so I went to the spindle and it worked great. I was also blending staples I had predyed and trying to get as many color changes in as I could and get a consistent amount of fibers and spin. That was not working on the wheel. Well, after spinning about 4 cops, I hesitantly took my wheel and fiber (with my spindle as a back up!) to my spinning guild meeting and sat next to the gal who's husband made the wheel and asked her what I should do. She told me to lower the tension, which I did and I took more time just setting out, but pretty soon all the techniques I had been using on the spindle for this fiber and color work just transferred over to the wheel. I was ecstatic! (See there now, we do have 2 spindle posts Mike!)

Andy-wommon

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  5:46:21 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
Andy I'm just the opposite. I only learned the spindle spinning a few years ago. But generally if I have a fiber I'm not sure of I always get the urge to spin it on one of my wheels. But I can't take my wheel to work but I can take my spindle. This is good because it has forced me to experiment a bit. I've been successful with all the things I have tried. I think sometimes it is just taking that first step and then moving on from there.

Now there is a reply to the second post!
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  03:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Aaa, it's nice to see the forum semi-active again :o)

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  09:24:43 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Poor Mike! Keep the faith baby, this is a good section of KR!

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  11:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I just plied up two spindles full for the drop spindle sweater Iím working on. Itís close to 8 oz of yarn. This is going to be a wild looking sweater being knitted from my first skein to the more even tempered yarn Iím spinning now. I did put aside the actual first skein, I figured by using it for the cuffs, collar and bottom it would pull the whole thing together texture wise. But the sweater will read like the progress of my spinning from the neck down.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  05:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I so can't wait to see this sweater!

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  06:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Well, it's not going to be fancy. I started this sweater a few years ago. It is more like an on going project that keeps my homespun around. I even knitted on it knowing that I was going to pull it out.

You should have seen the faces on the ladies at the knitting guild when I was asked if it wasn't going to be to big. I told them yeah I have to recalculate the pattern and change needles sizes, maybe I'll rip it out next week or the week after. They could never understand that I just loved to knit with my spindle spun yarn and as long as it takes me to spin it Iím damn sure going to enjoy knitting it even if I have to knit it numerous times to achieve this :o)

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  12:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
That is so true! People who haven't made their own yarn don't get how pleasurable it is to knit with your own - or how important it is that it be RIGHT!

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe