Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 How do you control the mania?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

piggy
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  03:41:11 AM  Show Profile Send piggy a Private Message

How to control the mania? I can not control it. It control me. My family is no help either. they keep finding things for me to do. On my favorite lists on the computer you would find things yes about yarn knitting ect.Also ways to do things that need to be done fast. When I go away not only do I carry a purse. Bit a bag of knitting . Just a habit soon as I walk out the door purse, keys , and knitting bag.
I do not know how I could go on without being able to knit. I feel like I am in another world. Things around me do not seem as immportant. I also knit while talking on the phone. Yes I do that alot . I talk to my mother (poor health) and does not live close . Ilive in Ohio she in Az. So tlak to her acouple of times a day and that gives me a chance to knit. Or while being on hold. Have you ever told the person who finally come on say wait a minute while I finish this stitch? they do not know what to say. Now if I could only figure out how to knit and sleep at the same time. Hmmmmm knitting while showering? No the yarn would get to what. Well anyway that is my 2cents wouth on the subject.
I to have learned alot from my fellow knitters. Keep up the good work.
Rosemary------------ bsck to my knitting
Go to Top of Page

Boxy
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  03:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boxy's Homepage Send Boxy a Private Message
Hey, I have it under control. I don't knit all the time. Sometimes I crochet. :D

http://www.purpleduckie.com
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  05:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Control it? It's a mania, so by definition...

Seriously, though, I have real trouble with this; being on a fixed income now helps (somewhat! [:00])...

I also 'recyle' yarn, and knit a lot with my church group for charity, with donated yarn -- I get to knit, and it doesn't cost me for materials!

I have also organized my personal stash, and am trying as much as I can to use it for gifts etc. over the next year. It's that or bankruptcy!!

-- Marg (a Knitting Maniac) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nicole5012
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  07:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit nicole5012's Homepage Send nicole5012 a Private Message
Plus with the KnitPicks ads telling you to indulge yourself and that luxury has never been so affordable... how can you resist??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Canadian, knitting in VA
Go to Top of Page

kimmiebear
Gabber Extraordinaire

359 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  08:30:48 AM  Show Profile Send kimmiebear a Private Message
Should I hold up some garlic to repel this thing called "control"? That stuff sounds dangerous.
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  09:52:54 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
I like that "mounting knitting mania". It is unbelievably addictive.

I have a craft budget I give myself every month, and that helps control my spending to a point. It also helps that we've moved recently and when you have to pack box after box of all your crafts, not just knitting, it does help quell the stashing desire. It's slowly wearing off, but it helped a bit.

For holidays, I make a list of gift recipients, a budget and then I figure out what I can make for them within that budget. Or I might "blow" the budget by using yarn from my stash.

For general stuff I want to do, ugh...I have a harder time. I do keep a wishlist, like many others. I also try and tell myself that books, patterns, and yarn will still be at the store when I'm ready to work on a new project. [crazy] After years of stock piling for other hobbies, this concept is getting a little easier for me to live by. So when I'm out at a LYS, I ask myself is this something unique that I will never be able to find again or will it still be here in a few months.

Of course if I really kept to all these "rules" I wouldn't have at least 5-8 projects sitting in a basket waiting to be knitted! And several baskets of yarn too pretty to pass up. It's all an illusion to make me think I have this under control. Please don't ruin my fantasy.

Sarah

If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

riverspirit
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  11:18:34 AM  Show Profile Send riverspirit a Private Message
you guys are FUNNY! 1st time in years I have been able to laugh about my out of control mania. Thank you!

riverspirit
Go to Top of Page

stacyo
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  11:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit stacyo's Homepage Send stacyo a Private Message
Control? Oh, please. YarnAholics Annonymous knocks at my door every day! Oh wait, I think I hear them knocking again right now. Just let me finsih this last row and I'll be right there...

stacyo
Go to Top of Page

Julie the Purple Chick
Chatty Knitter

166 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  3:18:42 PM  Show Profile Send Julie the Purple Chick a Private Message
I knit at stoplights, for crying out loud! I have no control!

Julie - The Purple Chick
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  4:57:59 PM  Show Profile
You know that creeping feeling where you think you're the only one? HA! Isn't so with me anymore - after reading this far - I KNOW I'm not nuts, or suffering from "mounting knitting mania", my mind jumping from project to project - I'm normal! Thanks all! What a wonderful laugh! (Ooops - laughed so hard I fell over!)
Go to Top of Page

TrueStar
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  5:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrueStar's Homepage Send TrueStar a Private Message
If you find a way to control it, let me know. It really doesn't help when you take the SO to the yarn shop and he picks up a bag of Koigu and says 'Hey this looks cool...why don't you get this bag?'

Almost had a heart attack...

http://commuknits.typepad.com/
Jake: Your rap name would be 'Kid Mohair'
Go to Top of Page

onthesticks
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  6:15:49 PM  Show Profile Send onthesticks a Private Message
After a year back knitting after many years away, I'm psyched to have something in my life I love so much I get up two hours early to do it!

I am finding, though, that I've learned so much in the past few months that the things I wanted to knit right after returning aren't as enticing now. Keep in mind: you may want to knit different things in a few months than you do now. For me, that's provided natural stash enhancement control.

But, since I've missed out on a few patterns I really loved, I now let myself just buy the pattern if I must, but wait (mostly) to buy the yarn until I'm actually ready to knit. This compromise gives me both the project anticipation fun and the in-the-moment buying yarn fun.

However KnitPicks makes me chuck every bit of self-control out the window. Just be warned.

nann
http://www.onthesticks.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  02:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message
My life is full of Zen-type balance. I have three children and my own business. Of these, I am in control. I have knitting mania and chocolate biscuit addiction. Over these, I have no control.

You see? Perfect balance.

Eclair
who has agreed to an eight-hour drive and business trip she doesn't want to do on a Saturday because she won't be behind the wheel and can KNIT all the way undisturbed. Now just needs to get control of the CD player.
Go to Top of Page

kmd52@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 10/07/2005 :  05:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit kmd52@yahoo.com's Homepage Send kmd52@yahoo.com a Private Message
Thanks guys for a wonderful laugh on my birthday. (had to throw that in, I milk it for a week every year.)

I admit it - I am a pusher. Last weekend I loaded up my daughter's Toyota Celica with yarn, finished projects, books, and patterns. We drove down to my best friend's house and in her driveway, I opened up the trunk and back seat and showed her my goodies. Yes, I am addicted to knitting and I won't give it up!

Control? That is for the wimps. I go whole heartedly for that lush mohair, that soft alpaca, the bright fushias .... And wait - what about that pattern that I will never find again.

So I stash my goods in the basement. Get up early and stay up late and fit the rest of my life in there somewhere.

Kathy who is also loving fall
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  07:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Nann,

Taking a moment from the laughter, sharing this yarn obsession and humor about it with so many other kindred souls is heart warming and delightful. But Nann, I must say that on a serious note, you offered a GREAT suggestion about how to control it SOMEWHAT and that is when you suggested buying the pattern so you won't "lose" the idea of all the wonderful projects you want to knit - but sometimes holding off on buying the yarn until you're actually ready to make the item. I do that too, because the base of my buying mania is the fear that I might forget/lose/misplace or never find again this wonderful project.

Because, as someone else mentioned too, I am constantly seeing NEW projects that catch my interest and so the ones I thought were hot six months or a year ago, I may not like as well upon reflection and distance. Then again, some projects just haunt me and those are the ones I relent and buy. Sometimes you just have to give in and as long as it's truly not taking bread off the table. Glad to share this obsession with so many others!

Kathy - I could just PICTURE your "trunk show" that you brought to your daughter's last week. I can just visualize all those knitting bags, completed projects lining the back seat, and you pulling hanks of yummy yarn out of your trunk to let everyone "feel." Ah!!!! Chelle
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  07:04:40 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
well this topic didn't help me with my stash issues...or did it? Last week I met a woman at my LYS who came in to just take a peek as she DOES NOT KNIT ANYMORE because of her arthritis. She wasn't elderly either. She had given away her stash and needles about 15 yrs. ago. Talk about enabling, though. One of the saleswomen and myself were trying to talk her into making something with the larger needles, but she resisted. It was too sad. Lesson to us all---enjoy it while you can!

Have fun,
Marie in NJ
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  07:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
My husband and I were discussing what we'd do with the money if I get another nice Christmas bonus this year. "Bills? What the hell are you talking about? I'm going straight to the KnitPicks site!" I said to him. I hope he doesn't think I was just kidding. LOL

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Imknittin
Chatty Knitter

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  10:01:05 AM  Show Profile Send Imknittin a Private Message
This is terrible and wonderful all at the same time!!!! I had no idea about knitpicks! And to find out at payday! Is that a good thing?!! I have stashes and stashes of yarn, because when it's on sale, even if I don't have a project, I think, well, maybe later, I'll think up one and regret that I didn't buy it! Then I find patterns that I like and I buy them and books. I also crochet, and have been doing that since I was 8 years old. I've just been knitting for about a year, so the yarn stashing has started up again with a vengeance! If it's between buying lunch or that that beautiful skein of yarn I have no idea what in the world I'm going to do with...you guessed it.....
So, that's where I stand, a yarnaholic and I've found a new place to feed my addiction (knitpicks!). I'm so excited! Gotta go shop![:00]

Angie
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  11:23:53 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Yesterday I was in a CE meeting until just after 12 and my doctor's appointment was at 2. So I went to a yarn store! DID NOT buy yarn, but did buy a few patterns. Tore myself away to go to doctor. Spent 2 hours there. About 4 pm I'm gazing out the window thinking about how hungry I am. That's when it occurred to me that a normal person would have used that time to get something to eat!

I was at the doctor's for 2 hours, most of the time spent waiting. And knitting. It was great. Guilt free knitting. No guilty tug that I should be doing laundry or something. It's great.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Angie, are you serious? You never knew about Knitpicks? Oh my!!! You've really led a sheltered knitter's life, haven't you?

The worst part, for me, like I said above, is that with KP you get free shipping for any order OVER $30 so I start off thinking I'll buy "just one or two things" and then end up ordering at least $30 to get the free shipping. That free shipping is a big temptation to me. Chelle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?