Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 How do you control the mania?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  08:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
Chelle--I'm the same with the free shipping. It's actually been good for me right now though because I'm waiting until I have enough project ideas to buy at least $30 worth of yarn to get the free shipping.

My idea of control is to force myself to think about knitting things for other people (now it's Christmas presents). Then I don't buy yarn until I know exactly what I'm going to knit and how I want it to look, in what color, etc. I think I will actually save a fair amount of money this year on Christmas, although the time is a totally different story. I'm even making items with luxurious (knitpicks or eBay) yarn, so I feel good about what I'm giving, even though it will cost less.

Kristi

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  10:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
Is it just me or is $30 worth at knitpicks A LOT of yarn?

..Mmm.. free shipping.. I love free shipping : )

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  3:10:40 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
Chocolate, shopping and knitting, what else is there?
Might as well be dead without them in my life.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  7:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message
I finally checked out KnitPicks for the first time. Oh!! the temptation to shop!! Especially with the free shipping.

There is no way to control the urge to add to the stash. I can thing of much worse things to be addicted to and at least you get something nice when you are finished creating.

=^..^= Debbie http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  07:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Kim, agreed thqt $30 worth of yarn from Knitpicks can buy you a lot of yarn because they are so reasonably priced! You can easily knit a whole sweater with their yarn for $20!!! But I find other things I want to add to my order to reach $30, like sock yarn, or pick up a few patterns, and then there's always books, too. The $30 doesn't have to just be limited to yarn. Chelle
Go to Top of Page

Shonze
New Pal

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  09:21:12 AM  Show Profile Send Shonze a Private Message
I too have come back to knitting after a few years away and I've decided I'm a JUNKIE when it come to yarn, patterns etc, just can't seem to get enough of my fix!!! I've spent a fortune and have a mounting great stash in the corner of my bedroom and several project on the pins at the same time.
Too much wool, not enough time.
Love the forum get LOL from items.
Keep it up
Shonze

SHONZE
Go to Top of Page

Imknittin
Chatty Knitter

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  12:32:49 PM  Show Profile Send Imknittin a Private Message
I am serious! I never knew! I went right out there and of course I had to order $30 by the time I had cruised the site...who wants to pay shipping if you don't have to!
quote:
Originally posted by ChelleC100

Angie, are you serious? You never knew about Knitpicks? Oh my!!! You've really led a sheltered knitter's life, haven't you?

The worst part, for me, like I said above, is that with KP you get free shipping for any order OVER $30 so I start off thinking I'll buy "just one or two things" and then end up ordering at least $30 to get the free shipping. That free shipping is a big temptation to me. Chelle

Angie
Go to Top of Page

Sang
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  12:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sang's Homepage  Send Sang a Yahoo! Message Send Sang a Private Message
Knittingmom, when you figure it out, please let me know, too. Thanks!

Sang.
Go to Top of Page

RoxieKatz
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  2:08:31 PM  Show Profile Send RoxieKatz a Private Message
I've given up on controlling the mania, particularly since I have an "enabler" roommate who knits with me. We went to a concert last night, a show we had been waiting to happen for literally 10 years (Dead Can Dance reunion), and while we were waiting for the show to start, she says "I wish I had brought my sock; I'd be able to get some rows in!"
Go to Top of Page

dacprof
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  3:47:15 PM  Show Profile Send dacprof a Private Message
Control the mania you say. The knitting mania helps me stay sane. I find I need some mindless knitting to carry around and some more complex knitting to satitsfy my creativity and challenge my knitting skills. My stash isn't too large yet. Large is relative, but I try not buy yarn unless I have a specific project in mind. So far, that has worked, but it doesn't explain the balls of cashmere that are on their way from Elann or the odd balls of fingering weight sock yarn that I bought on sale, just 'cuz they were cool looking and on sale.

Deb

also enabler of DD
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  3:57:59 PM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
I control my mania by just giving in to it. Julie--I also knit at stoplights!! I think people who don't just aren't right, if you know what I mean...

*~*Lori*~*

My finished projects: http://community.webshots.com/album/308469463umpbHG

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  7:13:38 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
You guys all make me feel so much better! I was beginning to worry about my mental health. Since taking knitting back up in Jan. after several years break, I even dream about knitting! I was concerned that I had gone "overboard" and had developed an unhealthy obsession, now I see that I'm normal, whew!!!
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  07:56:28 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
What control.
I figure that I could be doing other things that are not quite so productive. But, knitting lets the knittier enjoy what they are doing and sometimes the actually use their product or give it away. But I figure that it isn't harming anyone . I do however understand when I am in a yarn store and I see that I would like to purchase half the stuff in the store. I do have control. I pinch the pennies and save up for more.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?