Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Other recommended Links
 Current & Discontinued Yarn Info...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OneKnittingMama
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  8:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit OneKnittingMama's Homepage  Send OneKnittingMama a Yahoo! Message Send OneKnittingMama a Private Message
Because we often buy yarns that we stash away for some time just waiting for that "perfect project", by the time we are ready to knit, sometimes the yarn is discontinued, but we want to know more about it (if we don't still have the labels, etc.), like gauge, fiber content, etc.

www.yarndex.com has many, many yarns listed and is a great resource! Enjoy!

Hugs,
M. :)

My Knitting Blog

My Homeschooling Blog

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  06:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
I love Yarndex too, butyou can't post unless you make the yarn - they say "Yarndex.com encourages yarn manufacturers and distributors to add their yarns to our directory. To arrange for the submission of your yarns, complete the form below. "

Plus, you can only shop for yarn at *their* online store... I prefer WiseNeedle.com as anyone can post and add comments. Plus the yarn review here at KR :)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

sanity101
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
594 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  6:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit sanity101's Homepage Send sanity101 a Private Message
Yarndex also has a section for comments, which seems like it's open to anyone. Not that I have anything against Wiseneedle, but they both have their place, and can be useful. Yarndex tends to have more technical numbers and pictures, while Wiseneedle's a better place for subjective information, or to find out 'is it as soft as they say it is'.

(and it's not like you have to buy it from the store they hot link either)

-C
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  05:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Sanity, points taken, but it's still owned by an online store and that info is not presented very clearly, you have to dig around to find it. I think my issue is that they only give you information on yarns they like... all the info is straight off the ball band, it's not like it's difficult to track down.

IOW - I think it's a grat idea, just one that is not taken to a good enough level yet, by anyone.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  11:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
Thanks for the link again it's one I'd lost when I lost my computer to a lightning strike. The way *I* use it is when I want to know about yarns I'm not planning to use. *laugh*

For instance, if a pattern calls for Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, I know that I'm not going to use that yarn because it's not in my budget. But since I'm new to knitting just looking at the stitches per inch doesn't yet click to me about what the weight of the yarn is (dk, worsted, etc). So I look it up on Yarndex and that gives me a starting point in finding yarn I can use.

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.