Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Fall "Stress" Anyone?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  06:56:22 AM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
Ok, it just got cold here, for the first time this year, and all of a sudden, I'm thinking, "My family is not properly outfitted in wooly things!" (I just got this metal picture of having to send my daughter to school with skeins of yarn draped over her for warmth...)

Keep in mind, I've been saving a lot of my tastiest yarn just for this time of year (snuggling up under what you are knitting - YUM!), so it's not like this is a surprise to me. Nor, am I the family's only source of warm clothes. So what's up???

Anyone else get a little edgy when the cold weather comes?

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  07:04:20 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
For me knitting during the summer is something I like to do but don't because around here ( the Chicago area) it can get quite hot and humid as it does around the rest of the country. What I do during the summer are summer items. What I reach for now are the items that I finished at the end of winter beginning os spring. I wanted to wear them then and I couldn't because they were too heavy for that time of year. I get real itchy fingers to knit now. I think perhaps I have 10 WIP. I know that is a lot but I get bored doing one project for too long (about 2 hours).
Go to Top of Page

tribalfyber
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  11:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit tribalfyber's Homepage Send tribalfyber a Private Message
i think the coming of winter awakens the primitive instinct for survival....i have the urge to "put food by", gather wood and other provisions, and make warm things to wear......my nesting syndrome, my boys say......i think they just like to call me "squirrely"!

****i childproofed my house, but they still get in....
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  12:38:52 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I agree with tribalfyber I think the cold weather brings out the nesting instinct. This is the time I try to make sure the pantry is stocked up, the freezer is full, the outside work is done and I have plenty of yarn. My sister and I always said it was our Mom coming out in us. Although we also experienced this during the spring and summer if a storm was predicted we had the urge to rush around and make sure everything was under cover and couldn't get blown away. Now .
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  1:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Yes, I agree about the nesting instinct. For some reason the arrival of knitting season really hit me this year, more than in previous years.

I had so many languid, hot summer days to sit and dream of sweaters and shawls and socks and mittens, with no pressure to begin these projects... and suddenly boom, the leaves are off the trees, pumpkins are in the fields, and I'm nowhere near ready to start. This year most of my projects involve fleeces that need washing and dyeing and carding or combing and spinning before they can even hit the needles.

Whew, I'm exhausted.

Maybe we can get away with one more gift season of bulky novelty scarves instead?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  2:53:02 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
The itch usually hits me hard in late August, but since I hadn't really stopped this summer, I didn't notice when the urge changed from socks to enormous thick heavy sweaters...

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

Sue Woo
Permanent Resident

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  04:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Woo's Homepage Send Sue Woo a Private Message
See it's so balmy down here on the SC coast most of the time that my winter comes in July. I crank down the AC and act like I'm being all toasty with my yarn and blankey. I feel like I'm in Aus or NZ with our pals there!

Sue
High Priestess of Shrimp and Grits
(and collards)
Go to Top of Page

JannyW
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  06:57:52 AM  Show Profile Send JannyW a Private Message
Ah yes, the old Crank Down the AC & Make Everyone Else Shiver ... I know it well Another benefit of living on the SC coast is the (nearly) ever-present ocean breeze, especially this time of year with that little hint of Fall in the air. But I knit year-round, with absolutely no regard for the temperature. Got to keep those hands & fingers busy!

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
~~ John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tribalfyber

i think the coming of winter awakens the primitive instinct for survival....i have the urge to "put food by", gather wood and other provisions, and make warm things to wear......my nesting syndrome, my boys say......i think they just like to call me "squirrely"!

****i childproofed my house, but they still get in....

This may be the root of my stress right now...I'm feeling the need to nest and having to empty my nest for moving. This is my third move in 8 years, all of them in the fall. Sigh.

chris (Who's also dealing with Katrina clean up and repair, getting the house ready to sell, a dog with possible cancer, and a husband who's giddy about going to his new job, leaving all this behind. Please pass the martini pitcher...)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

clover
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  2:31:53 PM  Show Profile Send clover a Private Message
Also, for me, the stress of knitting for Christmas is upon me. This is terrible to admit, but last week I knit two pairs of socks that started out as gifts but I find I must keep. dang! felt so virtuous there for awhile... being ahead and being able to present somebody with such a nice gift... oh and saving money bc i already had the yarn. oh it was all so good. i didn't even feel guilty sitting there knitting instead of doing chores. but after the second pair i can't hardly fool myself into thinking i'll give the NEXT pair away. i'm a weak terrible person.
Go to Top of Page

mstickles2@cogeco.ca

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  2:35:14 PM  Show Profile Send mstickles2@cogeco.ca a Private Message
I usually knit socks in the "warm" weather and Project Linus blankets in the cooler weather. All I'm concerned about is keeping my hands busy. Anybody else have the same problem?

Auntie Marje
Go to Top of Page

tvsglass
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit tvsglass's Homepage Send tvsglass a Private Message
My fingers are always twicthing to knit!

Check out my buttons at
www.tvsglass.com
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  4:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
There's a tiny bit of stress, when I consider who to knit gifts for this year (for Christmas) and whether to knit up a batch of things to sell at a large craft fair.

But I knit constantly throughout the year. I do tend to stash more in the fall, like a squirrel. Now I just hope for a lot of blizzard days. The whole town shuts down, including my job, and I can stay home and knit all day!Bring it on! I'm ready.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

herbandteas
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  12:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit herbandteas's Homepage Send herbandteas a Private Message
I agree with you on knitting during the summer months as it is just too hot or I am busy doing things that I can't take or do my knitting at. I am working on a baby blanket and I am itching to start 2 other projects too but now that I see thats the norm I don't feel funny about having three things going at once. I am getting bored working on just a blanket when I can be learning to knit socks!!

Helaine
Go to Top of Page

herbandteas
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  12:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit herbandteas's Homepage Send herbandteas a Private Message
Some of the things I want to work on will be presents but now I know it is ok to want to keep them for yourself because you did

Helaine
Go to Top of Page

margaret9
Chatty Knitter

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  07:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit margaret9's Homepage Send margaret9 a Private Message
I knit all year round, but it is SO much more fun to knit with wool when its cold out! Its almost as fun as wearing or giving away the final piece! I have to get back on track with my christmas knitting, which I started with lots of good intentions, but then got sidetracked with starting craft fair knitting (boy that takes longer than expected! I was hoping to get in for the xmas rush, but its just NOT happening!) and i'm taking my first class toward my MA. Geez there's a lot to do. But I have a pair of mittens for my nephew that I'm awfully proud of, I just need to find some train iron on patches and I'm all set (he's a freak for trains and buses)-- of course with Caleb's present finished that leaves, oh a dozen more!!! The pressure. And then there are the people at work? I work very closely with a few people who I know will get gifts, but my workplace is very big (all the faculty and staff at the school of communication at American University---and there's worry that some presents will trickle in from people who I least expect! ) And I'll have a term paper due around the holidays. And there's that second job I'm picking up. Whew. Where is my Last Minute Knitted Gifts, I should be carrying it with me 24/7 for at least 2 months![:00]
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  09:03:58 AM  Show Profile Send pqpatch a Private Message
I love the fall. Time to regenerate and slow down. Unfortunately I can't knit as my doctor put me in a splint and on restriction for a bad tendon in my elbow, so no knitting for a month!!!. I am typing one handed by the way. so that nice warm bulky sweater I was just going to start is on hold. A whole month!!! I am going to crazy.
Go to Top of Page

beccaknits
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  11:36:55 AM  Show Profile Send beccaknits a Private Message
Yup! I am knitting like crazy! I just finished hats for everyone, now I'm working on gloves. Then, I need to work on felted slippers for winter... never ending, lol.

I love autumn. I love the smell of pumpkin pie baking while I knit on the sofa. YUM!

"People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that distinguish me from a doormat." Rebecca West, age 20, 1913
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  6:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
I always assumed my knitting drive was school related... More Stress=more need to calm down and stress. I guess school starts around the same time as the weather turns chilly so they coincide nicely. It hits me like a ton of bricks every time, though.

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco
Go to Top of Page

meme527
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  9:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit meme527's Homepage  Send meme527 a Yahoo! Message Send meme527 a Private Message
this is my first winter as a knitter, having only become knitting obsessed this june (i remember it well...)

and YES, i am feeling it. trying to organize, pace myself, print out patterns that i need, dye yarn for felting, write down patterns that i am creating on my own, see whom i want to make what for....eesh.

so, i've got it bad and can't beleive there are only two months to go!
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  06:51:53 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
I knit all year 'round. When it's nasty hot, I just put the AC to a comfort level and knit away. I do leave off the afghan tho as legs get hot with the length. I always try to get started on Christmas no later than May. No Panic by Fall. This summer, in our store, we had a lot of knitters come in and knit to escape the heat. Good thing to do when you can fry eggs outside. KL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?