Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Denise Interchangable Needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  07:53:43 AM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message
Has anyone used and liked the Denise Interchangable Knitting Needles?
I am really interested in the kit, but would like some honest reviews from circular needle fans.
Thanks
Kristin

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  08:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
If you do a search you will find many threads about these.
I have 2 sets and they are all I use, except for double points. I had a couple of couplers and needles break on the first set but they were quickly replaced by the company. No problem with the second set. I have 2 sets because I have too many projects going at once

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! http://kimsknitpage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  09:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
I love my Denise but beware .... they are US sizes and a tad smaller than the metric equivalents, i.e., they fit loosely through the needle sizers instead of being a snug fit which means you may need to go up a size to get your gauge. One benefit of this set is if you tend to bind off tightly as I often do, you can grab a larger tip out of the case to use for bind off without having another whole needle to hang onto.
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  10:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
Hmmm.. I borrowed my Mom's set while I was visiting her last summer, my Dad wanted me to make the collar in his bamboo shirt larger.. I picked up all the stitches and was knitting along and... bloop... the needle dismantled itself from the cable. several epitaphs later, I continued. My Mom loves them, and she had hooked them together, so I'm not sure WHY they fell apart - just know that I decided in that moment that I'd rather have my skacels.

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

witchyknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit witchyknits's Homepage Send witchyknits a Private Message
I really like my set and especially like that I can have a couple of projects going and use the "circular" part as a stitch holder while I use the same size needles for something else. Of course I also have a zillion other sets of needles because along with yarn and knitting bags, I'm a needle -a-holic too!

~ Sharon the knittin' fool in PA
~ http://knittinfool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  12:54:18 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
I love these needles! Went from saying I didn't like circs, to loving Addis to Denise. Haven't picked up any other needles since I got my set this summer. Knitz2 is right about the sizes being a tad smaller. I'm pretty rough with my projects (in and out of bags, etc.) and haven't had a tip come off the needles yet. Will be ordering more cords just because all my wips are on my Denise's!
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  2:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Love them...love them....

Dorene
"You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that."
Charlotte "Charlotte's Web"

Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  05:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message
I adore mine too- so easy to change needle sizes, to put some stitches on hold, to detach the needles and try stuff on. I always have the right size cord on the circular needles. They are light and I can stick the box into my WIP bag and take it with me...

Eclair
who hasn't used anything else for a year now.
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  10:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
I WANT to love them. I tried to love them but I'm one of those whacky knitters who sticks her right hand straight needle in the crook nof her elbow while she knits so having to negotiate both hands is tricky for me. And I've had them pop out mid-row and they feel so skinny. Sigh. I haven't given up.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  10:26:05 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I've had the needle disengage from the cable a couple of times, especially on the first round and if I go up to a larger needle. I'm a tight knitter, though, and I think that explains some of it. I'm making a moebius cape right now and lovin' the Denises...it's easy to change needle sizes, to go from a moebius to a back and forth to in the round, and the needles work well with both mohair and mountain colors moguls.

I still like Addi's the best, but I am appreciative of the versatility of Denises these days.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  1:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I love having them just in case I need a spare needle, or if I want to try different needle sizes on a swatch, or if all my other needles in a particular size are in use, or if I'm going somewhere and don't know what size needles to bring.

I rarely knit a whole project with them, but I sure am glad that they're there. I've never had a tip pop off, unless I haven't locked it in place in the first place. They're sturdy, handy, and there when I need them, which is all I ask!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  2:00:30 PM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
I've never had a needle disengage from the cable (knock on wood), nor had any problems with my Denise needles at all. I'm thinking of donating all of my straight needles and miscellaneous circulars to charity, because I really don't need anything except my Denises. (I don't use needles smaller than 5.)
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  4:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message
I love mine. I've always used metal needles (Aero) and had recently been converted to circulars. Using plastic needles took a little getting used to at first but now I love them - especially for knit-in-the-round seamless jumpers where I can just disconnect and rejoin the cords which also serve as stitch holders - and I can cap off the cord and try it on for size too without worrying about losing the stitches off the needles.

I've had the cord come apart a couple of times - always the same connector which used to be very tight when the needles were new. Maybe I've been too rough with it - they are only plastic, after all!

I adore mine and having all the needles in one place, all sizes and different cord lengths is SO convenient.

Eclair
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  4:32:42 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
I love my set. I use them for nearly everything. I've tried many other types and brands, including different bamboos, addi, and bryspun. Love the convenience and feel of Denise. No problems with the joins at all. I miss them whenever I need a smaller needle (the smallest size in the set is a 5, 3.75mm.
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  6:52:24 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I do all my knitting on them and like others have stated I love them. I like the feel of the plastic and they aren't cold like metal. They are a good investment and the customer service is great. I do wish they came in smaller sizes though, and somehow they could make dpns.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

LuvYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  08:44:08 AM  Show Profile Send LuvYarn a Private Message
I also love my set. Since my dh bought me set last year for Christmas and they have been in constant use. My poor lonely straight needles just sit there in a bag on my closet wall.
I also wish they could somehow make a set with smaller sizes.
Go to Top of Page

Northside Knitter
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:24:32 PM  Show Profile Send Northside Knitter a Private Message
I love my Denise Needles and have suggested them many times to other knitters. Fo one thing, it is a very affordable way to get lots of need sizes without investing a ton of money. I also like how easily the points of each needle go into my stitches since I tend to knit a little tight. The reason I originally bought them was for an international trip I took, but I have kept using them because I REALLY like them!
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  04:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I have them and want another set.....
I found them so logical and convienient

which I can't spell

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  06:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message
My DH gave me a second set last Christmas. Before the price went up. I love them. I also got the extra long cables. I knit everything except socks on them.
I do find the size five a bit fiddly, as the needle is about the same size as the cable. But I have learned to work around that
Happy customer. And it is so nice to always have the size needle you need, if you want to swatch something in the middle of the night

Suzann

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

sweetgeorgia
Chatty Knitter

Canada
101 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  09:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit sweetgeorgia's Homepage Send sweetgeorgia a Private Message
I bought a set of Denise needles when I first got back into knitting -- I found that I loved Addi's but the price of buying one of each size would kill me, so the Denise set fit perfectly. They are so versatile and they feel like your safety net. But hands down, the best "feature" for me is that you can take them onto the airplane, worry-free!!!

http://sweetgeorgia.planetfishdesign.com
http://sweetgeorgia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  10:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
I love mine too - very versitile - it's great to be able to just swatch away and change needles as you need!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.