Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 where do i go to get help with....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elliebelly
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  08:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit elliebelly's Homepage Send elliebelly a Private Message
basic things that y'all already know about, lol? is there a part of the board that is a help forum or a good site?

today's disaster involved trying to cast on to round needles. um, i am obviously missing a big part of the process here. i think part of it was that i didn't have enough stitches on, but i clearly need some remedial help in this area before i go further.

Joyce
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rorysgirl1/
My Blog

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  08:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
did you do add on an additional stitch for joining?

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

elliebelly
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  08:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit elliebelly's Homepage Send elliebelly a Private Message
i'm not sure what that means. i casted on, then i knit into the first stitch so it seemed connected. but when i started going around, everything was really tight (i had made it a point to cast on very loose and had these big loopy circles of yarn around the wire part of the needles) and finally, i just couldn't go any further.

Joyce
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

KnittyGrittyGal
Chatty Knitter

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  08:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittyGrittyGal's Homepage Send KnittyGrittyGal a Private Message
Are you using too long of a circular needle?
It sounds like that might be the problem.
Knitting into the first stitch to get your round connected is what you want to do.

KnittyGrittyGal
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  09:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
One of my favorites is www.knittinghelp.com she has some wonderful videos of basic and advanced techniques.

~Wendy

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

My blog and other such nonsense... 2 Wet Fins
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  09:17:09 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I think your needle is probably too long. Another problem to try to avoid is twisting your stitches when you connect up in the round. What Kelly was asking about is whether or not you added an extra stitch on your cast on. When you do that, you can knit that extra stitch with your first one to tighten up your connection.
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  11:02:26 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
And yes, you're in the right place for this sort of questions. We're always glad to help.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

elliebelly
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  12:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit elliebelly's Homepage Send elliebelly a Private Message
thank you! the answer was needles that were too long. of course, a quick trip to the local knitting store, followed by lunch with a knitting friend cured all that, and i learned a far cooler way to cast on to boot.

but can i ask you all a question? is there an addiction problem with knitting? right now i have the sweater i'm doing for my son--the back is complete and i'm starting on the front. i also have a felted purse that i started (the round needle project and you should see the gorgeous pink and black wool!!!) and a doll blanket that is just flat knitting for my daughter. and not started, i've got some yarn i hand dyed to do a sweater for daughter and some yarn i bought because it was gorgeous thinking i would do a snuggly blanket, but now i'm thinking it's probably just enough for a big wrap. so, um, am i nuts?

Joyce
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  12:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
You're asking the wrong group of pushers... I mean knitters. You must buy more yarn : )

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  1:10:21 PM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
You're asking a bunch of *yarn ho's* if there is an addiction problem with knitting?

Addiction...maybe
Problem...what problem? ;)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  1:23:13 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Addiction? Nah. I can stop any time I want to.

[:00][:00][:00]

Like when they pry my knitting needles from my cold dead fingers.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  1:56:08 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Ditto. . . We are all enablers here.

Just remember one can never have enough yarn. You must always have several projects in the works at the same time. And you must always have the next project in reserve. There is nothing worse in life than finishing a project and not having something else to start.
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  2:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
There is a forum farther down the page about Technique questions that you might find useful.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?