Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Nasty Non-Supporting Wife
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  06:56:25 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
We had a man come in our store with wife and 2 teenage daughters in tow and declare that he would like to learn to knit. Picture his wife standing there with arms folded and glowering. He said "My family thinks I am Fag[his words,not mine]but I don't care".
While we sat with him and got him started; she walked around muttering how ridiculous she thought all this was. She kept saying that she didn't have any time for this "nonsense" Kids just hovered in the background.
Next day, he comes backin for more help on a dropped stitch while she stood outside yelling for him to get back out there and get in the car.
Next day she comes in alone with the 2 kids and buys a skein and neeedles for the youngest; complaining about the "ridiculous" price-[16.00]
It turns out that one of the kids now want to learn also.
As the teen was looking at the yarn while mom was stomping around again claiming "this is so stupid"; the sister says"just grab the Purple yarn and lets go". The teen says that maybe she dowsn't want the purple. Sis tells her"let's get out of here".
After being appalled and fascinated at the same time by the Mother's behavior the last three days; I realized that she must be one of the most unhappy women I have ever run across. I can't even imagine what their home life must be like. I give him credit for sticking around.
Just a rant about a ranting, nasty partner of a new Knitter. KL

DorsetMartin
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  07:25:19 AM  Show Profile Send DorsetMartin a Private Message
Working with the public really opens your eyes as to how mad they are!

You made a mistake.
It's homemade. Nobody's purlfect in this world!
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  07:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Is it possible she feels threatened by the fact that her husband is spending time with other women, doing something that may bond him to another woman?

Perhaps, she suspects he's seeing someone else who knits?

Hey, I've got a vivid imagination ;}.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  07:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Is it possible she feels threatened by the fact that her husband is spending time with other women, doing something that may bond him to another woman?

Perhaps, she suspects he's seeing someone else who knits?

Hey, I've got a vivid imagination ;}.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  07:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
Some people just think that ANY craft is a waste of time. Actually, I think those people are just very insecure AND shalow.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  07:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
Some people just think that ANY craft is a waste of time. Actually, I think those people are just very insecure AND shalow.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  07:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
That's so sad.
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  07:51:24 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
By his other comments, I think he has a job in the film industry as he was talking about the knitting "on set". For some positions there can be alot of down time-electricians, lighting etc. Also the production crew usually comprises a ton of people-a lot of whom can be seen sitting and knitting, reading etc., between shots or scenes. It certainly is more productive than laying around napping as I have seen on some crews! Who knows, it wouldn't surprise me if it was some psycological need for some domestic bliss and his vision of knitting provides that vision-if not by his wife why not him?KL
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  07:51:24 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
By his other comments, I think he has a job in the film industry as he was talking about the knitting "on set". For some positions there can be alot of down time-electricians, lighting etc. Also the production crew usually comprises a ton of people-a lot of whom can be seen sitting and knitting, reading etc., between shots or scenes. It certainly is more productive than laying around napping as I have seen on some crews! Who knows, it wouldn't surprise me if it was some psycological need for some domestic bliss and his vision of knitting provides that vision-if not by his wife why not him?KL
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  08:11:47 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I just wonder why he brought her. Why didn't he just come by his self. She might be a pia, but she did bring her daughter back to buy for her, but it does make you wonder. Is she too afraid to let him out of her sight?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  08:11:47 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I just wonder why he brought her. Why didn't he just come by his self. She might be a pia, but she did bring her daughter back to buy for her, but it does make you wonder. Is she too afraid to let him out of her sight?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Oh, that poor family. I hope the Mom gets help for whatever is going on with her, and that the rest of them are ok. I hope he gets to stick to the knitting. Sheesh!

Support our Yarniversal charities, and buy silly stuff: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Oh, that poor family. I hope the Mom gets help for whatever is going on with her, and that the rest of them are ok. I hope he gets to stick to the knitting. Sheesh!

Support our Yarniversal charities, and buy silly stuff: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

TrueStar
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  08:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit TrueStar's Homepage Send TrueStar a Private Message
I'd like to ask her why she's having a fit about her family wanting to do something creative. It isn't like he's going off and getting drunk all of the time...or something worth being legitimately upset over.

She totally secretly wants to learn how to knit too. ;p

http://commuknits.typepad.com/
Jake: Your rap name would be 'Kid Mohair'
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  11:21:33 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
I must be doing something wrong. I'm happy to send DH off to the spinning guild once a month with 20 women and to see him doing something with his time that makes him happy. The stories he comes home with are funny. And then there was the fresh butter and buttermilk! He doesn't want to learn to knit, but he wants to make yarn that I can knit - so far he hasn't produced enough for anything. We both took the sock yarn dyeing class at the LYS - I have to knit his socks though.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  4:56:39 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I would love it if my husband wanted to learn to knit. Of course, he'd have to get his own stash and keep out of mine.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  5:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I want mine to learn to spin........
then he would take OFF early spin night and I can get BACK THERE......
plus he can get himself a saxony wheel and I don't have to hear how nice a saxony is..
(yes but I am very short and I don't FIT a saxony wheel)

oye
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  12:18:12 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
I`ve taught my son to knit, and a couple of his friends. (They`re all nine.) Why not?

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  12:18:12 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
I`ve taught my son to knit, and a couple of his friends. (They`re all nine.) Why not?

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Aziandoll
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  01:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aziandoll's Homepage Send Aziandoll a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KL

I definitely think that his wife was being very shallow. It's true a lot of actors knit on the set, because it gives them something to do while they wait around. Can you imagine his job too? I read somewhere that even Danny Glover knits on the set, while waiting around between shoots. Just imagine, IF he stuck with his wife, her reaction IF her ever gave her a hand knit garment! I would be so thrilled if my husband gave me something he made! I wonder what SHE does for a hobby. [**]

http://knitting.meetup.com/331
Go to Top of Page

Aziandoll
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  01:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aziandoll's Homepage Send Aziandoll a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KL

I definitely think that his wife was being very shallow. It's true a lot of actors knit on the set, because it gives them something to do while they wait around. Can you imagine his job too? I read somewhere that even Danny Glover knits on the set, while waiting around between shoots. Just imagine, IF he stuck with his wife, her reaction IF her ever gave her a hand knit garment! I would be so thrilled if my husband gave me something he made! I wonder what SHE does for a hobby. [**]

http://knitting.meetup.com/331
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.