Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Anyone Knit in Labor?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jewishfarmer
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  1:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit jewishfarmer's Homepage Send jewishfarmer a Private Message
I'm full term with my fourth (and last!) baby, been having heavy contractions with no progress for days, and am finding it hard to concentrate enough to knit through them, but I'm so tired that knitting is one of the few productive things I can manage. Did you all knit through you labors? Any suggestions for mindless projects to get through it with? Something to take to the birthing center with me?

Boy do I wish knitting could *induce* labor!

Sharon

Jewishfarmer
"Rats and roaches live under the laws of supply and demand; it is the privelege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy" - Wendell Berry
www.casaubonsbook.blogspot.com

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  1:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Sharon, I've never given birth to anything but knitting projects but I'm sure, if you can manage it, knitting will help. Just watch where you put those needles....

Jane Thornley
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  1:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I think little baby hats would be great - very simple, very needed, and what a sweet item for a memory chest when your "baby" is making you a grandparent!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  4:10:28 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
I'd go for a baby blanket on circulars...you'll be putting it down often, then picking it up, and putting it down, and picking it up...
When I was in labor with my first (19 years ago) one of the nurses brough her knitting in for me to fix a mistake...between contractions of course...

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  4:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I just had my baby a couple of weeks ago and I knit a sock while in labor. I was mad that I forgot to bring a needle to the hospital as I wasn't able to kitchener the toe and start the second sock. Luckily I was wheeled into have her soon after so I didn't have to linger long without something to knit. :) I hope you get to productive labor and have your baby soon.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  6:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
just a thought on productive labor.

Those contractions are doing the work of bringing the baby out. progress is measured in a number of ways:

Bringing baby into position which can take a lot of work if baby is in an unfavorable position...which could mean that baby is vertex but presenting a bit turned in the wrong direction

Effacing the cervix in preparation for dilation.

And of course dilation which is how most people measure labor progress.

If you are tired, take a warm bath, which may help you relax. For me, it just made the contractions hard to manage. Warm showers did it for me.

Good luck, baby is coming!

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

indigomuse@verizon.net
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  7:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit indigomuse@verizon.net's Homepage Send indigomuse@verizon.net a Private Message
I figured that you would have knit during labor, Boogie. You are a "real" woman in my book.

IndigoMuse

Musing about knitting and spinning at http://indigomuse.blogspot.com/
Check out my felted monkey's world tour at http://ziraontour.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  11:20:22 PM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
Just had to chime in with my incredible sympathy. I'm going through the same thing-- lots of cramping, lots of contractions, no labor. For DAYS. I did do some knitting tonight and could stick with it for a while as long as it wasn't during a contraction.

Hope both our babies come out TODAY!

Rachel
[IMG]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  12:10:32 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
I knitted a baby hat while having early contractions during my first labour. Found it about six months later ..son was too big for it by then!

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  06:23:57 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
No help here - no such thing as "between contractions" with mine - just offering best wishes!

my pics
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  09:53:42 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Rachel and Sharon, you have babies "knit together" on KR, don't you! Both can cheer each other on! K1, P2, K1, P2...breathe, breathe...push, push, push...rah, rah, rah! All the best to all of you!

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  09:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Well, hopefully, since Sharon hasn't posted since yesterday, the baby's come and it's all a moot point.

All labors are different. Knitting may help. Taking a walk may help. A warm bath or a shower may help. Laying guietly in a darkened room may help. Some women like all their friends and loved ones around them, some want to be completely alone.

Try everything. You'll find what works for you!

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  11:24:56 AM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message
I did not knit during labor. The thought just didn't occur to me. (Hits side of head.)

2005 Stats: FO-12, WIP-8
Charity Caps & Booties Sets completed - 43
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  11:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I didn't know how to knit when I had my son. I went to the mall on the day he was due, but was not in labor yet. I had a drs appt the day I went into labor. Didn't have him until the next night. It was in interesting day when I started labor. Would have been great to know how to knit. Probably would have made things a little easier.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

jewishfarmer
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  12:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jewishfarmer's Homepage Send jewishfarmer a Private Message
Hi Rachel - well, I hope yours comes soon! Fingers and all other spare digits crossed!

No baby here so far, but I'm working on it.

Thanks for the good wishes and advice!

Jewishfarmer
"Rats and roaches live under the laws of supply and demand; it is the privelege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy" - Wendell Berry
www.casaubonsbook.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kbjclj
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  4:40:56 PM  Show Profile Send kbjclj a Private Message
I didn't knit while I was in labor but I spent a week in the hospital before my third baby was born and I did LOTS of knitting while I was confined to bed. It took some work to knit around the IV tubing in my hand.

Best wishes for a safe and speedy delivery!

Carissa
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  5:39:36 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
You do know the best "all natural" way to get labor going, don't you? My OB told me to try it when I'd had 3 weeks of on-and-off early labor with DS#3...but DH blurted out, "That's crazy!" And since I couldn't really do it without him... ;)
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  6:41:33 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Are your referring to raspberry tea? I have a couple friends who swear that's what got the kid out!

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  7:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
Bring your knitting if you want. A simple, mindless pattern would probably be best. But trust me, don't be upset if you don't get anything done. You're going to be a bit busy.

Although I had to finish this baby blanket for DD when I was having her homebirth. After it was done, we called the aunt and midwife.

Craftiness is Sanity
The Last Thread
"Knitting is indeed manly. After all you spend a long time poking a rigid object through a flexible opening!" - Mokey
Go to Top of Page

KnittyGrittyGal
Chatty Knitter

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  7:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittyGrittyGal's Homepage Send KnittyGrittyGal a Private Message
I knit through the labor of my son who was born last February. I too was in labor for days and was working on a felted tote.The day I had him I had an OB appt. and was knitting in the waiting room while I was having strong contractions.When I got to see the doctor he discovered I was at 4 centimeters and told me to go to the hospital right away. Which I didn't, I went and got my 2 teenage daughters out of school and home to get my bag, started to the hospital and realized that I'd left my double pointed needles which I needed for the handles.....and had to turn around and go back home and get them.
When we got to the hospital my fiance was wondering what took so long and of course the girls told on me for having to go back to get the needles.
At the hospital I finished the body of the tote before I had him....(which was when I was at the 9 centimeter mark)the nurses thought I was totally insane. I told them that I was not crazy "Im just a dedicated knitter"LOL
I finished the handle the next day and felt very proud to have 2 things to leave the hospital with.....him and a bag ready to be felted.
I don't get much knitting time in these days(having 8 month old leaves little time) but I have discovered sock knitting and love it since it is so quick and portable.

KnittyGrittyGal
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  01:00:10 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
One of the best ways to get intermittent early labour turned into established labour is to go scrub floors. Seriously! You`re on your hands and knees and that can help relax your pelvis and your belly is hanging lose and the baby can rotate more easily. I`m not suggesting you exhaust yourself actually scrubbing hard, you understand, but picking lint off the carpet is a good alternative.

(You can`t knit while scrubbing floors though...at least, I don`t think so....?)

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by