Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Sock/Shawl progress report w/pics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  12:42:31 PM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
Here is my short version of Nancy Bush's Traveler's Stockings from Knitting on the Road. Its mate is about a third of the way through. In addition to shortening the pattern, I substituted eye-of-partridge in the heel and used the German Round Toe. Yarn: taupe Koigu.

And here is Madli's Shawl under construction. Another Nancy Bush pattern (from IK Summer 2004); the nupps nearly caused me to give up. Yarn: Misti Baby Alpaca laceweight in moss-grey. More detailed photos here and here.

Karen
My knitting photos: http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/karenknits/

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  12:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
Nice Sock! The textures look great with the color of Koigu that you chose. And your shawl is looking lovely, too.

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting
Go to Top of Page

limesally
Chatty Knitter

286 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  3:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit limesally's Homepage Send limesally a Private Message
nice! I like your heel variation, too. I didn't do the toe to pattern, either. I tried it, but the seam on the underside made me crazy, so I ripped back to do a standard wedge toe (more comfy). I'll have to try that German toe some time.

I really like the cuff pattern, and would love to knit it again. As I am in a cold climate, I did make it full size, and it feels wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  5:24:11 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I really like the shawl. It is very pretty. How is the Misti Alpaca laceweight to work with? I bought some to do the Legends of the Shetland Seas shawl but haven't started yet.
Go to Top of Page

TrueStar
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  5:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrueStar's Homepage Send TrueStar a Private Message
Wow I really like the shawl! I should get a subscripton to IWK. They both look really great. :) I'm also interested in what you think of the laceweight.

http://commuknits.typepad.com/
Jake: Your rap name would be 'Kid Mohair'
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  06:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Both are beautiful. I likes hort socks, I may just have to knit a short pair of those for me.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  07:32:46 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
Misti Baby Alpaca laceweight: Well, it's a bit of a challenge at first. Absolutely no elasticity, of course, and slippery as a wet toddler. Don't even allow it to be in the same room with Addi Turbos. You'll want the stickiest, grabbiest needles you have. (I'm using Brittany birch straights for Madli, transferred to an Addi circ for photo purposes only.) And be vigilant about yarn-overs -- they have a mischievous tendency to fall off the needle if you look away. This all sounds more pain-in-the-butt written down than it actually is in the working; just know that a little extra attention may be needed until you get comfortable with the yarn.

Unblocked Misti lace seems to be even more of an amorphous blob than usual, but give it a good severe blocking and WOW. It's so airy and light it almost floats away. And it's by far the softest fiber I've ever had the pleasure of working with (including Kidsilk Haze, which now seems almost coarse in comparison). When I draped my Madli-in-progress over my arm, it felt like the lightest caress of a kitten's tail.

I'm deeply in love with the stuff. How can something this wonderful be so inexpensive?

Karen
My knitting photos: http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/karenknits/
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  08:30:05 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Your shawls are wonderous. I'm inspired. Kekokat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked