Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 In search of holiday ham...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  09:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
My friend and I would like to order a spiral cut ham for our little Thanksgiving holiday together. We don't mind some leftovers and would like to know the best and most reasonably priced place to order a ham from. (My friend doesn't like sweet glaze.) Since I'll be the one cooking it, any cooking suggestions or recipes would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Chia

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  09:47:18 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If you live in an urban area, you should be able to find a butcher shop that can get you exactly what you want. There are also organic markets and farms that have top quality product.

A great glaze is mixing dijon or other quality mustard with maple syrup. You control the sweetness.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

MoBarger
Chatty Knitter

311 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  10:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit MoBarger's Homepage Send MoBarger a Private Message
Many people swear by Coke as a glaze!

Mo Barger, close to Ithaca, NY
My Journal
Fiber Site for upstate NY'ers
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  10:11:45 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Coke is very sweet and burns easily. If you really don't like it sweet, use cranberry citrus, or the great pre made meat seasonings in the spice aisle.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  10:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
We've had honey baked hams here at work and they are good I'm not sure how expensive they are though. You can also order ham from cracker barrel if you have one near you.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  10:45:11 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Well, you can have best or you can have reasonably priced. I often send gifts from Burger's Ham in California, Missouri - don't have the website at hand, but it can be googled. They sell them spiral cut, and the glaze comes in a separate packet. What you probably want is their City Ham, for a milder cure. True country hams (which they also have) are rich and dense and strongly flavored. I love 'em, but I find that those who are unaccustomed to the meat think it's not as good as the meat from the honey-baked sort of ham.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  11:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
My favorite ham glaze is a can of cranberry jelly, a cup of brown sugar, a dollop of mustard, and a few spoons of ground cloves (just taste it until you think it's clovy enough. Not to sweet but very flavorful.

Yuumm, makes me want to go make a ham.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  2:53:02 PM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message
The easiest ham that I've ever prepared is from Heavenly Ham, their hams are tasty and moist. Great when you're having a party - got friends hooked on Heavenly Ham hams. All you do is heat it. If you want to make a ham from "scratch", I've had so many compliments on an Easter Ham recipe from Canadian Living magazine from the 1980's (I think they have a website).
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  1:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
Lemons,
I haven't ordered just yet, but I like the selection and prices of Burger's (www.smokehouse.com). I think we are going to go with the unglazed Smokehouse Half-Ham. I'm looking forward to making corn-chowder and fried-rice from the leftovers.

Unfortunately, Heavenly Ham only distributes to stores and the store closest to me was hours away.

Thanks everyone
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  2:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
a half of smithfeild ham
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
( since you don't like sweet....or I would say a honey glazed ham)
and just think of the bean soup leftovers
vi
wanting bean soup

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  4:01:40 PM  Show Profile Send Terry a Private Message
Two excellent sources are Honey Baked Hams (www.honeybaked.com) and Harrington’s of Vermont (www.harringtonham.com). I’ve had both and they are excellent. We were given a Honey Baked Ham as a gift. We served it at a party and it was all gone at the end.
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  4:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Honey Baked Ham! Best yet no cooking required just a gentle heating is all and she can easily remove the awesome glazed sugar crust.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
Visit www.kneatles.com for the December 2005 Wisconsin Knitting Retreat

Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  5:55:03 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Smithfield Ham! My mom used to work for a subsidiary company of theirs, and one of her Christmas bonuses was HAMS! So she'd ship them to me. :) The "country" ham is the really dry, salt cured one. You can literally hang it in the garage until you need it. Then soak it in water and bake...it's so good! Then fix red-eye gravy and biscuits for breakfast...mmmmm!
(Fixin' up some virtual ham hock and bean soup for Vi...would you like a little sprinkle of vinegar on top? Homemade cornbread?)
Michelle <--who finally has soup weather! Yippee!
Go to Top of Page

KnitKnut
Permanent Resident

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  1:43:45 PM  Show Profile Send KnitKnut a Private Message
Our local Honey Baked Ham sells not only the best hams ever, but also the bones! They make box lunches every day, and leave about 1-2" of the most tender ham around the bone and sell them for $3 each. What a pot of split pea or bean soup I can make with that!! They even sell scraps for $3 for a stuffed Zip-Lock quart size. One bone and 1/2 bag of scraps make a very substantial soup when added to peas, beans, or lentils. My free secret for split pea soup is to throw a stick of cinnamon into the pot and remove before serving. I'm hungry!

Marie from NC
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  4:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I also LOVE Honey Baked Ham! You can't go wrong with one of those. One time I bought a spiral cut ham at Costco and slathered a mixture mustard and brown sugar on it and it was a hit.

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  05:02:13 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Here in the midwest, spiral cut hams are available in most of the large chain grocery stores. We buy the ones that are unglazed and then glaze them ourselves. The quality has been equal to the nationally known brands. You might also check with your butcher and see if they can slice a ham that way.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  06:22:29 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message
You can buy a spiral sliced ham at Sam's or Costco. They are very easy to cook. I, too, like Honeybaked Ham, but they are outrageously expensive IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  1:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
I made the ham from Burger's this weekend and it was delicious. I made it without the glaze and it was perfect. I think I'll save the glaze for porkchops or ribs.
Thank you,
Chia
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  3:01:28 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chellethinques

Then fix red-eye gravy and biscuits for breakfast...mmmmm!

...mmmmm, ham, red-eye gravy and biscuits....(read like Homer Simpson with his mmmmm donuts).

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  3:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
Actually, I made a quick version of that with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom and ate it with rice and vegetables. Mmmm...
chia
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  8:55:23 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
I am so glad you liked the ham from Burger's. They are deeply flavored, certainly, and I'm glad your tablemates enjoyed its richness. Score one for the Show-Me State!

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?