Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Blending fibers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stweinerdog
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  10:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit stweinerdog's Homepage Send stweinerdog a Private Message
Is it necessary to card fibers together to create a blend for spinning or can you draft two sets of roving to spin a blend?

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat.
--Alex Levine

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  11:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
You absolutely can draft two (or more) rovings to spin an exciting yarn. In fact, that's just what I am going to do with all the little bits of hand painted roving I have stuffed in a huge bag. I will probably use one roving as a sort of theme color through out most of the yarn, but have a constantly changing supply of color from all these 1 and half ounce pieces.

Dive in

Have fun!

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
Sometimes, the multiple roving yarn might look a little tweedy. I'm not crazy about tweed, so when I spin that way, i'll often use the same yarn for a while before changing over to another color. That way it's less tweedy.

:)
http://yarnahoy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Funny how different tastes work - I LOVE tweedy!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

stweinerdog
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stweinerdog's Homepage Send stweinerdog a Private Message
The end effect won't be tweedy as both fibers are white.

That being said, I like tweedy and I'll probably ply with a colored yarn.

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat.
--Alex Levine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?