Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Getting rid of the wool smell
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erinplus3
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:57:11 PM  Show Profile Send Erinplus3 a Private Message
I knitted an adorable jacket and hat set for my 3 y/o DD out of Cascade 220 and she's going through a smelling stage right now where she notices any and every type of odor. She's complaining about the wool smell and I'm not sure what to do. I've washed it in Eucalan and that's seemed to make it smell more "wooly" than before.

Any products out there that might mask that wooly smell?

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Vinegar usually works to get rid of smells. Give it a gentle rinse with water and a bit of vinegar. The vinegar smell will go away as it dries, taking some of the wool smell with it.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:48:09 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
Steve Allen recommended adding some vanilla to the rinse water for stuff that had a musty odor. I don't know if that would help with just the natural sheep odor, but it's unlikely to hurt.
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  4:22:06 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
If someone is very smell sensitive, like my daughter, she will complain of the vinegar odor, as my daughter did! I just told her it would get better and she is accepting of that.

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  4:45:37 PM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
Have you tried the lavendar eucalan?

How about a wash in baking soda?

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

Erinplus3
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  6:44:47 PM  Show Profile Send Erinplus3 a Private Message
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll try them all and see if any of them work. :)

I've never tried the Lavender Eucalan, does it leave a nice lavender smell after washing things with it? That might work, because my DD loves all perfume and floral smells.
Go to Top of Page

chasingneedles
Warming Up

Canada
55 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit chasingneedles's Homepage Send chasingneedles a Private Message
When I set the twist in my handspun yarn I was it in shampoo (for colour treated hair). It's gentle and it leaves my yarn smelling like clean hair rather than wet wool.

*Kristin*
http://chasingneedles.blogdrive.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.