Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Ladder Yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  09:36:45 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I'm not really into scarves, but this Confetti in Claret really caught my eye. Two-thirds of the way into it, the ball absolutely collapsed (even though I was keeping it in a ziploc bag with a piece of tape wrapped around it). I cut it loose from the knitted portion, got out my swift, then spent an entire afternoon untangling it. There was yarn all over the house. It's now rewound, back in a ziploc and sitting on the bed in the guest room sulking. Then I was binding off the shawl with the ruffled edge by Karabella in Gossamer (you pick up stitches around the edge and double them every other row three times - haven't a clue as to how many that makes), and ran out of yarn, although I'm not even halfway through it. Called the shop and learned that this has happened with everyone who is making this design. At least my Mountain Colors sweater is finished and blocked. I was terrified the entire time as it looked really small, but it blocked out beautifully - I had less than one yard left over! I need a good fair isle to regain my sanity!
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  11:00:03 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
You really believe in living on the edge, don't you? One yard left over on a sweater is too close for me. I agree with you about ladder yarn. I knitted what I refer to as the scarf from hell. Never again for me.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  4:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I've had troubles with ladder yarns and ribbons slipping like that. Even linen and silk. So what I try to do is knit like a fiend so that I knit up a hole ball at one sitting. The less movement (of the ball) the better. Of course, how often do we have the luxury of that much knitting time? What I do now is use the extendable mesh sleeves that you get on some pears and other fruit. A yarn bra essentially. It works surprisingly well. I still have had "escapees", but no where near the earlier problems.

Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?