Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How do you store your circs?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Live2Knit
New Pal

Australia
26 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  11:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Live2Knit's Homepage Send Live2Knit a Private Message
I've started making my own Needle Rolls, I've got one for circs that holds 10 sets but you could double up and store more than one set per pocket.
I've also just started including a little clear pocket so you can label the sizes which I find very handy cause I can never remember what size is what.

Katie
http://live2knit-shop.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fibercrone
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  12:29:20 AM  Show Profile Send fibercrone a Private Message
I made made my own version of the Circular Solution from the instructions in Stitch and beach. I works well enough but some of the 16" needle cables have to be coaxed back into their curve. In retrospect, I wish I had sewn another narrower strip down the center to hold the shorter lengths, leaving the regular width for the longer ones.

theresa (aka fibercrone)
Go to Top of Page

bonnie jean
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  03:44:31 AM  Show Profile Send bonnie jean a Private Message
Circular Solution.
Go to Top of Page

aduncan365
New Pal

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  03:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit aduncan365's Homepage Send aduncan365 a Private Message

This looks like an interesting way of organizing circs. Has anyone tried it?

http://splityarn.typepad.com/split_yarn/2004/10/super_fun_circu.html

Happiness never goes out of fashion.
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  05:52:03 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KL

Oh Eclair- Thank God you are out there with me! I was afraid I'd be banished for my deplorable storage of circulars. They are all stuffed in various containers, and then I can't read the wires for sizes on some of them- so I think "Hell, I'll just get another pair" and they eventually end up in the box giving birth to more.

Lol...count me in on this too. I throw mine into a large flat box and keep them under the bed. I don`t like using circulars much anyway, and finding the right size in the mess puts me off even more. Thank goodness for Magic Loop!

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

jbug
Chatty Knitter

234 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  06:07:37 AM  Show Profile Send jbug a Private Message
aduncan and all,

The splityarn link is cool! I had just bought some of the "biggie" circ's and my usual storage method doesn't work with them. I love that idea for the bigie size circ's.

jbug
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  06:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Sermom, For a better view of the case I use, which has a nice fabric cover, lots of clear pockets and is very portable, take a look at Patternworks. I found it by clicking Notions on the home page. They call it a Circles Circular Case. It has 12 pockets, which they think means it holds 12 needles. It holds way more than that -- I have a pocket for each size, and all the size 1s, for example, are in the same pocket.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

betz8w
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  07:28:40 AM  Show Profile Send betz8w a Private Message
I have a fishing tackle zippered folder with clear ziplock bags that fit into a notebook binder in the folder. ( Hard to explain! ). I bought mine at Academy but I imagine other sporting goods stores would have them. You can get refill bags and add as many as you need. I think it is called a fishing lure folder. Mine is called Bookworm by Dart but there are other makes as well. Betz
Go to Top of Page

pttalbott@juno.com

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  07:35:22 AM  Show Profile Send pttalbott@juno.com a Private Message
I bought a needle organizer from my LYS, it's plastic (would have preferred fabric!) with four columns of pockets and five pockets per column. I had a devil of a time figuring out how to organize it! One of the ladies I knit with suggested I use the packaging from my circular needles to mark the size. Each size, no matter the length, is in its own little pocket and I note what lengths I own (16 in, 24 in, etc.) on the packaging. It runs in numeric order from 0 to 17. The nice aspect of the packaging as a marker is that it sticks over the top of the pocket so you can see at a glance what you have or don't have.
Go to Top of Page

Angelika
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  08:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Angelika's Homepage Send Angelika a Private Message
My favorite are the Ashland Sky storage sacks. I like them because they are clear, lay flat and don't take much space (making them great for my suitecase) and because I can mark the sizes on the pockets to fit what needles I have stored in them.
http://www.yarn-store.com/tote-bags-tool-holders.html
There's 5 different sizes. 6 different colored trip, with Pink being a Breast Cancer fundraiser.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned them, yet.

Thank You !! [img]http://www.yarn-store.com/bowing-angelika.gif[/img] Angelika
www.yarn-store.com
On the Southern Oregon Coast !
Go to Top of Page

rg1502@hotmail.com

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:06:36 AM  Show Profile Send rg1502@hotmail.com a Private Message

I like the storage pages at: http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=300208&subject=U35&catpos=7
There are 2 pockets per page. Each pocket has boxes on the front where you check off what lengths of needles you have in the pocket. I use each pocket for one size needle but all lengths. Using a black permanent market, I write the size needle on the envelope fold part of the pocket. Then I store the pages in a 5" thick 3-ring binder. This system may seem anal but it works great, and I'd rather spend money on yarn than duplicate needles. :) Ruth
Go to Top of Page

Sissy
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:45:25 AM  Show Profile Send Sissy a Private Message
I use the Circular Solutions organizer for keeping most of my needles in my closet, but when I want to take some with me to travel or to just have in my knitting bag, I use a zippered CD case with the plastic sleeves. Most of them have at least 10 pockets in them and you can write on the pockets with a Sharpie marker.

-Sissy in the frozen tundra... I mean, Illinois

***Veni vidi velcro... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message
I just keep them in their zip lock baggy that they come in and put all my needles in a small ice chest. I know, not the most elegant, but hey, I'm a guy!

KC
http://boiknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I keep mine in WIPs.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  12:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message
LOL, that's funny rosebyany.
Go to Top of Page

JulieC
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  12:48:21 PM  Show Profile Send JulieC a Private Message
Other than the ones in WIPs , mine are in their original packaging, and then I put all those packages inside a gallon ziploc bag. They're pretty much stacked by size, and within each size, from shortest to longest. But I was so intrigued by the bamboo set that tribalfyber mentioned, that I went looking, and I think I found what she was talking about -- it's an interchangeable set like the Denise set (which I have and use but don't love), made by Plymouth. And it's on sale now at velona.com. So... I may have ordered a set.
Go to Top of Page

quiltknit1
New Pal

Uganda
7 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  2:19:33 PM  Show Profile Send quiltknit1 a Private Message
I use gallon ziplock bags to store my circular needles in; punch holes and file them in a three ring binder. In order to punch through the plastic, lay a lightweight card or stiff paper over bag, and punch. Label each bag. Works great.
Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  05:48:38 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message
I, too, keep mine in their original packaging. I have them filed by size in a wooden box.

Pamela
Go to Top of Page

lpage9@carolina.rr.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  07:43:31 AM  Show Profile Send lpage9@carolina.rr.com a Private Message
Another take on the binder idea is to stock up on plastic pencil bags (if you look right around the start of the school season you can get great deals). These are a little more durable than ziplock bags and already have the 3-holes punched in them. It is great to have them all in one place and just be able to flip the "pages" to find the set you need!
Go to Top of Page

LaurFS@aol.com

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  08:00:17 AM  Show Profile Send LaurFS@aol.com a Private Message
I use zippered CD cases that I got as a free promotion from some computer company. The needles fit in the little pockets, and I put a label inside each pocket so I know where each one belongs. (if I were a bit more organized, I could also put a note indicating which project the needles were in at this particular moment....)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?