Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Shop owners and aspiring businesspeople
 Working on a plan, I have a couple of questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pinkknitter
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  2:41:35 PM  Show Profile Send pinkknitter a Private Message
Hello,

Right now I am working on a feasibility plan for a yarn shop for school, and hope to eventually own my own shop. I have a couple of questions for all the new, old, hope-to-be shop owners. I have found a statistic on how many knitters are out there, but I find it a bit iffy and possibly misleading. So I was wondering if you might possibly know, where or who I could reach for a clearer picture at knitting demographics. I am also trying to research how much an average person spends on their knitting supplies, per project, year, month. I once again have found a statistic, but for a high end retail shop the amount per project seems a bit low. I have been researching as much as I can, but I'd like to hear from those of you who have been there and done it.

I have many more questions, but I think I will save them for a later time.

Thank you for your help.

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  4:37:35 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
It would help if you posted the stats you have and their sources.

Averages often look too high or too low for a specific situation(such as a high end yarn shop)because they factor in all reported purchases, whether it be $1.57 Handicrafter Cotton for a dish cloth project or $220.00 for a Touch Me sweater. The average cost of those two purchases is $110.79!

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Jessiebird
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  04:21:12 AM  Show Profile Send Jessiebird a Private Message
If you check the book The Knitter's Stash, it seems like the shop owners rely heavily on classes to help with the bottom line. It may be hard to survive on retail sales alone, depending on your traffic and overhead.
Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
Classes, Classes, Classes!!! We have everything from beginning knitting to Rogue Sweater to Whittling.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  07:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Well, this will sound horrible, but in Maine, the classes are not going over well. Seriously, most of the shops that I've talked to are pushing free knitting groups, and low-cost help clinics. Granted, we are a wide space state, and the cost of gas makes it hard to part with even more money, but they show up in droves for the knit group night (maybe it has something to do with being free? Or that the only "cost" is a Cookie Potluck??)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  07:27:32 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Irish Ewe- Your store is beginning to mirror ours more and more. Maybe all the shop owners should meet at TNNA in Jan and discuss universal problems. It could'nt hurt. Are you going? KL
Go to Top of Page

Oceo
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  5:15:29 PM  Show Profile Send Oceo a Private Message
I'm a new shop owner, too, and am finding the same problem with getting people to attend classes, although as the weather worsens, more people are signing up. I'm in a small town on the Oregon coast, and other than the issue with classes, business is going well. I'll be at TNNA and would be interested in attending a meeting with other new shopowners.
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  06:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
KL< mom will be in Ireland in January for a show there, so we won't make it until the June show. Yes, I am ticked, and yes, there has been many a screaming match between mom and I, but the answer is still no... pout...

But hey, come June, I'll be happy to buy you a round :) Mom should pass out fast, once I drug her, and I can slip away just like I did when I was a teenager!

I know there are shop owner's brunches or meetings, isn't there a dinner thing where whoever wants to can go and met everyone else?

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by