Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Can I soften up cheap yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cyclendogs
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  06:57:47 AM  Show Profile Send cyclendogs a Private Message
I am starting to inherit my mothers old yarn stash. I am guessing some of this stuff is over 20 years old. She has hanks and hanks of old acrylic yarn that I would love to use up for something, but it is on the rough side. Comparable to red heart super saver, good yarn just not the softest for scarves or baby blankets. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do with this? If I use it, then wash it with fabric softener will it help?

Thanks

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  07:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
It's possible to slighly soften wool with fabric softener or hair conditioner, but I wouldn't expect that to work for scratchy acrylic.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  07:41:35 AM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message
I don't think there's a way to actually make it softer, unfortunately. Depending on the amounts you have, perhaps a good use would be throws/afghans that could be used as picnic blankets or something along those lines. A project where the fabric being scratchy doesn't hurt too much, and the durability would really help.

hope this helps,

--tara

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page

Spins
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  07:58:08 AM  Show Profile Send Spins a Private Message
There is a suggestion under the "Never Again" thread by Froggsrock to wash before using. I have tried this and it works. If you have a mesh bag with a zipper, it helps to keep the yarn from tangling.
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  08:58:52 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
I don't think it will soften up but you could always try knitting a swatch and subjecting the swatch to whatever treatments you think might soften it up. I sure wouldn't wash a skein or ball, mesh bag or no. But maybe that's just me.

You could always donate it to someone/some group who likes acrylic. Project Linus ended up with a lot of my mom's acrylic yarn. And they liked it.

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  11:39:02 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I use that type of yarn for place mats, coasters, sweat bands for glasses of ice tea,slippers, handbags, baskets, and items like that. Think about the object you are making, if you would squish it when using it, or put it in contact with your skin, this yarn won't work. It is as strong as iron though and makes decent outer garments that are worn over others like hoodies and cardigans. You can also use it for craft projects where a stiffer yarn is an advantage like Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas items, and other home decorating items. I also always have some at hand to test knit stitch patterns etc.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

cyclendogs
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  06:44:50 AM  Show Profile Send cyclendogs a Private Message
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I can do lap blankets, slippers, and some other ideas offered here. I can donate them all through my church's knitting group and maybe they can use some of the yarn also. Last time I checked they had too much donated already, but that was thier first year.

Ann
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  5:12:39 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I use Red Heart super saver for baby afghans. After I finish the blanket I wash it and put it in the dryer with a dryer sheet - usually Bounce - and it comes out nice and soft.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe